Weta Coming Back To Middle Earth

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Josh

Ringer @ Heart
Reaction score
Just got this in an email:

Weta is returning to Middle-earth.
We are delighted to announce our new license with Warner Bros. Consumer Products to create a new range of the most authentic, fine art collectibles and memorabilia based on The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. This range is designed and created by the same Academy Award-winning artists who worked on the movie trilogy.

We have patiently waited for the opportunity to offer the most authentic replicas you could ever hope to find. The wait is over; it has been four long years since Weta last released any new collectibles from The Lord of the Rings.

Our new license covers a wide range of new product categories, beginning with the following new items to be launched at San Diego Comic-Con on July 22-26, 2009.

Gollum :

"A full scale replica of Gollum, a timeless sculpture, cast in bronze or in faux bronze fiberglass
sculpted by the artists who helped bring him to life." :drool

Gollum.jpg

Gandalf the Grey Cloak :

"An exact replica of the original cloak worn in the movie trilogy, using the same woolen material, produced from the same farm in New Zealand and woven on the same 19th century looms.

Woven and sewn by our friends at Stansborough, in Wellington, New Zealand, these cloaks are the real thing."

cloak.jpg

The Master Swordsmith's Collection :

"Weta will offer a very limited-edition of the most authentic swords from The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. Each sword is individually hand-crafted by Peter Lyon, the Master Swordsmith from Weta Workshop, who created the original swords used in the movies.

These blades are created using old world techniques for the sword purist, the way swords used to be made, for fighting. The first sword to be released is Anduril, in a limited-edition of only 10 worldwide. Each sword comes with a 10-minute DVD showing the artistic process and featuring interviews with Richard Taylor, John Howe and Peter Lyon."

Anduril3.jpg

Miniature Shield Collectibles :

"A new range of cast metal miniature shields, built to exacting precision by Weta's senior model maker, Dave Tremont (who built Grond and many of the miniatures used in filming the trilogy)

They can be displayed as stunning collectibles on their custom built bases, or worn as badges to your next convention."

Shields.jpg

Can't possibly afford any of them....except maybe the shields. Have been wanting the shields as companion pieces for the helms for YEARS. WOOOOOOOTTTTT!!!

Only 10?? Who are they thinking of selling them to?? Among themselves??

Why bother to make it for sale at all? By doing so,they are not making 10 people happy but thousands, or "tens of thousands" (as Sauraman has said to Wormtongue) unhappy..:mad:

But the shields set are good companion pieces to the weapon sets... that are now virtually lost on evilbay..

Last edited:
Wow they are really out of touch with people these days. Let them eat cake.

Thankfully the 1:1 Gollum statue comes in a faux bronze fiberglass version for those of us who don't care to re-mortgage our homes. Anyone care to guess what the bronze version will be selling for? :dunno I say it'll be much closer to 5 figures than four......

Gollum.jpg

You know what, I was thinking the same thing. Don't get me wrong, the quality of these item's will no doubt be outstanding, but whats the point of making collectibles that 99.9% of collectors can't afford? :rolleyes:

Weta, unfortunately, is a company of extremes. When they're not flooding the market with statues in the 9500 ES range [and literally destroying the collectibility of a line in the process] they're catering to the rich and famous with collectibles that ferature incredibly low ES's and incredibly high prices.

I suspect if they're intention is to try and get a small foothold in SS's LOTR territory they are going to fail miserably......

I think the same people who buy these will be the same people who bought a copy of Star Wars Frames. :duh

The little Smaug statue is $6,250 USD....that Gollum has to be $15-20K at least.

These are ridiculously priced and only for the very wealthy.

Those are will be sweet. The one of a kind swords that Peter makes are $4200 and they are edition sizes of 1.

The LOTR swords are from a huge license so they should be around the same price or a tad higher.
I'm betting $5k for Anduril.

The little Smaug statue is $6,250 USD....that Gollum has to be $15-20K at least.

These are ridiculously priced and only for the very wealthy.

Those are will be sweet. The one of a kind swords that Peter makes are $4200 and they are edition sizes of 1.

The LOTR swords are from a huge license so they should be around the same price or a tad higher.
I'm betting $5k for Anduril.

Wow, those are crazy prices...oh well, I was hoping the fiberglass version wouldn't be to bad...:monkey2

I really like the shields, hopefully they will be reasonable.

Me too. They'll look great with the helms collection. I think WETA's newer helms were around $55-60. These should be comparable I think, maybe a little more.

You know what, I was thinking the same thing. Don't get me wrong, the quality of these item's will no doubt be outstanding, but whats the point of making collectibles that 99.9% of collectors can't afford? :rolleyes:

Weta, unfortunately, is a company of extremes. When they're not flooding the market with statues in the 9500 ES range [and literally destroying the collectibility of a line in the process] they're catering to the rich and famous with collectibles that ferature incredibly low ES's and incredibly high prices.

I suspect if they're intention is to try and get a small foothold in SS's LOTR territory they are going to fail miserably......

As I read the email, the same exact thoughts were running through my mind. I also had a feeling of "dejavu" as well:

-That Gollum looks curiously like the one that came with "The Two Towers" extended edition (or was that the companion piece?...)

-Anduril may be amazing but already done by UC... (albeit, not as uniquely done)

-The shields were "supposed" to be released back in the SS/Weta days but never were...

-The cloak may be the only "new" idea, though I remember seeing clothing sold by "Kult of Athena", if not mistaken.

I would be disappointed if these are to be their main collectible lines.

Me too. They'll look great with the helms collection. I think WETA's newer helms were around $55-60. These should be comparable I think, maybe a little more.

My guess is that pricing will be closer to $80. If so, easy pass.

My feelings are hurt. I was really looking forward to WETA's new LOTR stuff.

None of this stuff is from the "what is so-and-so doing" previews they did a while ago though right? Maybe there is still hope.

You may be right T. It is tempting but ultimately insane for something you can get from UC for cheaper.

I would love them....or even one of them, but with the great stuff coming out from UC, Sideshow and eventually from eFX, I can't justify it.....especially, when I just bought Sideshow's 1:1 3PO and R2!!! Yikes!

These are beautiful and I hope they go to good homes.

Back