Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why cant they add an eye on top, it could be done easily and it would be perfect.

this is so annoying.

why cant they add an eye on top, it could be done easily and it would be perfect.

this is so annoying.

It's something that could change but honestly after seeing it at comic-con it looks great without it. The piece alone will impress most people enough they'll never miss it.

Yes, they cover the same subject but they're not the same. The amount of detail and size alone set it apart. As, I said before if you can have the dm version and be happy with it in your collection. However, after seeing it over the course of the week there is no doubt IMO this is the must own version of the environment.

Outrageously excited for this. Have been waiting for years. Personally, I like the no-eye too.

The more I look at this one, the Danbury Mint version is every bit as nice!

It really isn't!!

Sorry Moe, but have you seen the photos above?? I've seen the photos, and heard testimony from people who were there and saw it.
The Danbury Mint one is nice to have if you need to save the money and space, but it's squashed together in certain spaces, the top of the tower is smaller than it should be and the details that are on Wetas own creation just aren't there...and the paint scheme is just all over the place. And then there's the eye ;)

this is so annoying.

Weta made a decision, we have to deal with it :dunno

It really isn't!!

Sorry Moe, but have you seen the photos above?? I've seen the photos, and heard testimony from people who were there and saw it.
The Danbury Mint one is nice to have if you need to save the money and space, but it's squashed together in certain spaces, the top of the tower is smaller than it should be and the details that are on Wetas own creation just aren't there...and the paint scheme is just all over the place. And then there's the eye ;)

Weta made a decision, we have to deal with it :dunno

Frodo, understand but the Tower squashed?? It is in the eye of the beholder, it is a awesome sculpt! The details are indeed there on the DM version, have you really looked at it, it is there! The paint sceme is on the same scale as Weta's, the orange glows as it should reflecting off the tower in places, so no I am not buying the better sculpt and or paint. As far as the eye, many in here are asking for it, that is what Tolkien has described it, so be it, if Weta leaves out this detail then it is missing ....... ;)

well if someone just post some high res closeup of the danbury version this debate can be easily settled...

The paint sceme is on the same scale as Weta's

:horror

Moe, the Danbury Mint one is purple! After all the fuss over the purple Fell Beast, i'm surprised you think the paint scheme is the same as Weta's! There's also blues and oranges in there, and the lava effect doesn't really work.... it looks better on the Sauron PF ;)

As for the eye... an argument could be made for it being a character, not an environment. It wasn't there for most of Barad-Dur's existence and as far as what Tolkien wrote..... it's very vague. There's a mention of something like an eye peering out of the top-most window, but not blazing at the top of the tower ;)

:horror

Moe, the Danbury Mint one is purple! After all the fuss over the purple Fell Beast, i'm surprised you think the paint scheme is the same as Weta's! There's also blues and oranges in there, and the lava effect doesn't really work.... it looks better on the Sauron PF ;)

As for the eye... an argument could be made for it being a character, not an environment. It wasn't there for most of Barad-Dur's existence and as far as what Tolkien wrote..... it's very vague. There's a mention of something like an eye peering out of the top-most window, but not blazing at the top of the tower ;)

Once again in the eye of the beholder as it is described as "from some great window immeasurably high" , I think PJ had it right and if Weta chooses to leave out such a HUGE part of the tower then so be it! The paint job gives off the right shadows and is done right, some just can not get over that and just pick to pick. The Sauron PF is a whole different story as it is just not right, I can not see Sauron posing like that, his left leg, LOL, the paint scheme is a bit off and way too orange, it just looks odd, the pose.....

well if someone just post some high res closeup of the danbury version this debate can be easily settled...

There is no debate IMO. The DM is a nice enough cheap alternative to the Weta version. The pieces aren't even close in quality, size, or detail so a debate is fairly meaningless.

In YOUR opinion.....................:slap

No dude..my opinion as well. I think you might be the only one who thinks the DM one is better. Gotta think since weta freaking made the model that theirs would be better. Unless you have an agenda against weta. Which it kinda sounds like you do.

Yeah, really can't see arguing with the source, regardless of Weta's mistake, IMO, of omitting the eye. I understand there's some ambiguity in the books but the tower is based on the movies, obviously, so the books in this regard are irrelevant.

Here's a pic of th DM Barad-Dur

cf574d48.jpg

Weta Barad-Dur
IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

I own the DM version and am happy to have it...until Weta comes out with theirs then it's the best one out there period..

Will see if i can pickup the DM version for cheap when all the people start to sell them on ebay. It looks a lot better than I imagined. The eye is just win!

$T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWqw17BQEqiYtPKg~~60_57.JPG

Personally I find that eye a little toy-like (looks a bit more slick lit-up in Josh's first pic, though, and I agree the overall piece looks better than expected), but I'm sure Weta could've created something more convincing. Having seen a shot of the eye on the iPad app, I thought it looked terrible and I can't think of any object that one wants to view that is improved by seeing it through an iPhone/iPad screen. That just seems like such a dodge on the part of Weta.

Will see if i can pickup the DM version for cheap when all the people start to sell them on ebay. It looks a lot better than I imagined. The eye is just win!

$T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWqw17BQEqiYtPKg~~60_57.JPG

It's a nice piece. It's just not on the same level as the one Weta will be making.

Back