Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed and as mentioned by VASith, if one's going to have a Barad-Dur, it makes sense to buy it from the same people responsible for bringing it to life on-screen.

Plus, the Weta version is just about twice the size of the DM version. And that looks like that's gonna translate to twice the detail! Can't wait for this beauty! Seriously drooling.

I'd say that's about right. Its a mega huge looking environment and the footprint itself will eat up real estate on a shelf.

Will see if i can pickup the DM version for cheap when all the people start to sell them on ebay. It looks a lot better than I imagined. The eye is just win!

$T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWqw17BQEqiYtPKg~~60_57.JPG

:lol:lol:lol

You ARE pulling our leg aren't you?? :cuckoo:

I don't see any comparison between the DM and Weta Barad-Dur's. Sure the DM one was okay when there wasn't anything else, but the Weta one is just incredible, and certainly blows the DM one away on detail.

Can't wait to have this beauty and Orthanc on the cabinets either side of my sofa. :yess:

It would be cool to have. I think Weta could pull it off easy and make it look nice but if it didn't for some reason people are really gonna rag on them.

The eye is stupid. It's not needed. You are smarter than the rabble rousers josh. No need to ruin a perfect collectible for some play school attachment. :1-1:

The eye is stupid. It's not needed. You are smarter than the rabble rousers josh. No need to ruin a perfect collectible for some play school attachment. :1-1:

Not needed ok...but it is nice to have a choice...looks good lit up...maybe Weta should name it "Barad-Dur When Sauron was'nt home"" or "Barad-Dur before Sauron Lost His Ring" or "Barad-Dur before They threw Sauron out of Dol Guldur"..LOL...because without the eye those titles are exactly what the Weta version will be ...still nice though but I like having choices..

Its not stupid. I can see them doing a cool translucent materiel like the GTG/Balrog dio SS did and pulling it off nicely. However, after seeing the piece at comic-con I no longer felt it needed to be done to pull it off and make it impressive.

No dude..my opinion as well. I think you might be the only one who thinks the DM one is better. Gotta think since weta freaking made the model that theirs would be better. Unless you have an agenda against weta. Which it kinda sounds like you do.

I never said it was better............... :slap

Kinda depends on your imagination, VASith. You can only imagine it looking cheap/toy-like -- and I get the reasons why, btw, I don't mean that as an insult -- but I can imagine it being done really well, especially by a company like Weta. That detail aside, it's obviously an amazing piece. No argument there.

Its not stupid. I can see them doing a cool translucent materiel like the GTG/Balrog dio SS did and pulling it off nicely. However, after seeing the piece at comic-con I no longer felt it needed to be done to pull it off and make it impressive.

I just think it would cheapen the look and feel of the environment. There were flames in moria and yet I wouldn't want fake plastic flames shooting out from that environment. Just my opinion. :monkey1

I just think it would cheapen the look and feel of the environment. There were flames in moria and yet I wouldn't want fake plastic flames shooting out from that environment. Just my opinion. :monkey1

why do you assume it would be a cheap $2 plastic eye? Even a sculpted eye would look better than no eye (aka balrog type flame eye). But weta could easily used a glass pebble with the eye pattern inside, with cabinet lighting shining on it it will look epic.

I am still holding out hope the ex version will have the eye, it's such an integral part of this piece. And just purely from the aesthetic, the eye adds color and a pop to an otherwise mono black tower.

After reading all the posts...hard to remember who likes the DM one and who likes the WETA one...but both are good representations of Sauron's place. I will say, though, that I do like the COLOR on the DM one a bit better. I think many of WETA and SSW pieces over the years suffered from LACK of color (Helm's Deep, Moria, Golden Hall, and a few others)...so having the various hues on the DM piece is actually very welcome. While it does probably have a bit too much in the purple department...I simply LOVE the lava effect, the lit-up windows, and the glowing eye is a very nice add-on feature...

The WETA version...while very impressive size-wise...seems to lack a bit of color. But...this is my opinion...since Barad-Dur in the movies was very DARK anyway...

Let the butchering begin...again!

why do you assume it would be a cheap $2 plastic eye? Even a sculpted eye would look better than no eye (aka balrog type flame eye). But weta could easily used a glass pebble with the eye pattern inside, with cabinet lighting shining on it it will look epic.

I am still holding out hope the ex version will have the eye, it's such an integral part of this piece. And just purely from the aesthetic, the eye adds color and a pop to an otherwise mono black tower.
Yep, agreed, the eye would've broken up the monolithic black of the tower. I was thinking a glass eye that would add another $30.00 - $40.00 or so to the price. At that cost, especially produced in the hundreds, they could've made it look fantastic in glass. Lastly, it could've been made removable, so everyone would've been happy or made as an exclusive so only those that actually want the eye would get it. At any rate, glad we were able to discuss it even if it won't change anything.

Yep, agreed, the eye would've broken up the monolithic black of the tower. I was thinking a glass eye that would add another $30.00 - $40.00 or so to the price. At that cost, especially produced in the hundreds, they could've made it look fantastic in glass. Lastly, it could've been made removable, so everyone would've been happy or made as an exclusive so only those that actually want the eye would get it. At any rate, glad we were able to discuss it even if it won't change anything.

exactly! i wouldnt mind pay even $100 more for the eye, they could made ex have the eye and cost more, and reg no eye and cost less. And easily made the eye removable. So both camps will be happy.

I don't understand the problem with having a removable 'eye' like the DM piece. That way you can display with or without and make everyone happy. It sounds like a perfect exclusive but does WETA do exclusives? I thought that was just a SS thing.

Back