Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be ok with that. I have a choice I'd like to see more but I'd be ok with Grond.

I agree we're very lucky right now and with how things are looking.

As long as it towers over the Orthanc like this, I'll be happy! :wink1:

6032856387_175c1f0987_b.jpg

Same, although I'd love to see a price tag on something that big! It would certainly make for an epic centrepiece though :rolleyes2

I could see picking this up as my one and only LOTR piece. As far as current Barad-Dur models go (assuming there are any), do they tend to omit Sauron's eye or include it? Just curious as the tower would definitely lose something without it but all the static versions I've seen of the eye tend to look toy-like. Also hoping it's to scale with the 17" Orthanc though can't imagine it wouldn't be, given Weta's attention to detail.

Same, although I'd love to see a price tag on something that big! It would certainly make for an epic centrepiece though :rolleyes2

I dont think the price would be too bad. Using that picture for scale, I'd place it at about 21 inches roughly. If Orthanc cost $250 (at 17 inches), I can see this being $300-$350, depending on if there's any "gimmicks" (light up eye, etc) and how much of the base they want to do.

I'm thinking Barad-Dur will be in the $250-300 range. Probably coming in the middle at $275 just because the size/detail of the piece.

I could see picking this up as my one and only LOTR piece. As far as current Barad-Dur models go (assuming there are any), do they tend to omit Sauron's eye or include it? Just curious as the tower would definitely lose something without it but all the static versions I've seen of the eye tend to look toy-like. Also hoping it's to scale with the 17" Orthanc though can't imagine it wouldn't be, given Weta's attention to detail.

I'd actually prefer it without the eye! I cant think of a way they could produce it to make it look right. The Danbury eye is just awfull, it's like a little button pin or a quartz pebble.
On the other hand I can see why lots of collectors might think it necessary. I hope they choose not to go with it though.
:nono

Yeah, it would be very tough to make it look good but hopefully they can figure out a way. Without the eye, the tower will seem a little less sinister, I think, but obviously don't want to cheapen the piece if it doesn't look right. Maybe another option would be to make the eye removable and leave it up to the collector as to whether it's displayed or not.

Book version = eye behind topmost window

movie version = eye between pinnacles

No eye version = :dunno something from the Minas Tirith Gift shop (left after the Rat Catchers house)

No Sauron

No brooding menace :lecture

I got the sense this was still earlier in development. The announcement implied to me a "making of" series of posts was forthcoming but I didn't read it too closely.

I'm not crazy about the idea of including the eye, but, to be fair, you never actually see Barad-Dur in the films without it. (Until that last second, of course!) So I'd expect to see it included. Hopefully as a removeable piece.

In fact, I think the only place I've seen the tower without the eye is on the Two Towers poster.

Can anybody think of anyplace else?

I will definitely be buying this. I received my orthanc a week ago & its stunning, just ordered Bag End too. Need to save for Rivendell (I've longed for a replica since 2001, but thought it too complex to make). I need to track down a Golden Hall (very expensive on ebay) & hopefully Weta will make Minas Tirith.
I wonder if they'd consider a larger Minas Morgul? Or the Grey Havens?

Back