Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see what you are saying..but I am 35 and havent been to Disney since '96..I cant wait to go..its not so much I am looking for adult stuff..I am looking to recapture some of my childhood again...the place is friggin magical.. lol

Well for your sake, I hope it lives up to your expectations.

My first trip to WDW was in 96. Then 2000. Then 2006. Each trip was progressively less magical for whatever reason. It felt more aged, more run down, and not many new things were added in that time.

Surprisingly when I went to Islands of Adventure in 2006, the employees there TRUMPED the disney employees by a hundred fold. I was shocked, impressed, and then angry that my experience at Disney wasn't as strong.

It's all good, I didn't think you were hating on WDW. I'd only disagree in that it's more about taste than age (but obviously I know WDW skews to kids).

My wife and I are both huge Disney fans and neither of us is looking specifically for a thrill ride. We like the atmosphere as much as the rides. Something like Mickey's Philharmagic is just as cool as Rock and Rollercoaster to us.

On the other hand, I know guys who won't go to WDW with their family unless they can get a trip to Universal in there because they love the rides and WDW is too kiddy for them.

Lots of valid POVs on this stuff (especially considering the cost). :duff

this is what i was tring to say, i like going to disney, i like it a lot, i just like both parks equal. both parks have a lot of cool stuff to do. uni just has some cool thrill rides.

Recently I was watching TV with one of my daughters and there a commercial with a female rock-climer. At the end of the advertisement the woman is standing on top of a very tall natural rock pillar. My eight-year old daughter looks at me and says "Photoshoped!"

Like they say in the Polar Express, this is the "critical year" for my twin girls. Tooth Fairy went away a few months back. I'm sure they're starting to wonder about Santa. But I know they are still willing to suspend disbelief while they are at Disneyworld for those few days and believe in the stuff around them.

This trip isn't about rides or having fun (for me anyway). This is the last hurrah for my little girls seeing the world as children. That's worth more than the 4400 dollars in tickets. Universal is for some other year. I love big roller coasters, but I'm a dad first.

well yeah WDW is made with children in mind, it really can be an amazing place for a kid, you could wait 10 years to go to uni. but disney is always a most. specially if is first time. first time is always amazing, lol is funny to see people first time, is like "woah" and "aahhh" and then pics pics pics pics people take like 1000 pics lol I mean, thats how my first time with my family went, and then the second time I went with other people,

Disney is a really magical place, there is a lot to do and people will always have a really good time, my opinions come from someone that has gone to the parks for years now, and I like fast rides too, also after going for years there is a lot of child friendly stuff in the parks that I can't enjoy, like the Snow white ride,
but if someone was flying from lets say europe to the parks, i would obviously say to go to disney, like i said, disney should always be first. Uni later, BUT Uni is really worth checking, it has a lot of cool stuff.

Surprisingly when I went to Islands of Adventure in 2006, the employees there TRUMPED the disney employees by a hundred fold. I was shocked, impressed, and then angry that my experience at Disney wasn't as strong.

Funny, I had the exact opposite experience. I felt that the WW of Harry Potter was populated by a bunch of college kids in Hogwarts robes. I even had a uncomfortable moment when the cashier at Three Broomsticks "playfully" refused to sell me Butter Beer because I was wearing a WDW sweatshirt... something about not serving "rats" in their establishment.

Yet three days later my wife and I were at the Pooh ride at Magic Kingdom and one of the attendants noticed that she was wearing something from our time at Hogsmeade. The Disney employee asked her how she liked it... and went on and on about how they were really excited to check it out. Pretty classy... it made all the difference in the "world".

Each trip was progressively less magical for whatever reason. It felt more aged, more run down, and not many new things were added in that time.

this is what started to happen with me, I went with some friends and it starts to feel like that,That's why I said that the rides at WDW are not as cool, like the first time everything is amazing but after a while it starts to fade,
there are things at WDW that will always be amazing, I will always love haunted mansion, Everest, Dinosaur, All amazing. but not everything

at Uni, I dont know, I guess people there are or act more mature, that can make a difference,

Funny, I had the exact opposite experience. I felt that the WW of Harry Potter was populated by a bunch of college kids in Hogwarts robes. I even had a uncomfortable moment when the cashier at Three Broomsticks "playfully" refused to sell me Butter Beer because I was wearing a WDW sweatshirt... something about not serving "rats" in their establishment.

Yet three days later my wife and I were at the Pooh ride at Magic Kingdom and one of the attendants noticed that she was wearing something from our time at Hogsmeade. The Disney employee asked her how she liked it... and went on and on about how they were really excited to check it out. Pretty classy... it made all the difference in the "world".

people at disney get training on how to smile all the time and be friendly, I heard, is not bad I mean, they encourage the people there to be friendly and happy, in that part I agree, disney is way better, people at Uni can be really mean sometimes, specially security, really mean :monkey2
But, some of them are really funny and really nice, like i said before, I
guess Uni can have a more grown up feeling,

I had similar experiences. On my honeymoon, we did WDW for a week, then Hard Rock for two nights. USF really didn't do anything to make us feel like anything other than just another paying customer. Which, yeah, that basically is all we are... I know. But at least Disney fakes it very well.

In the many, many times I've been to USF, I can't actually think of a memorable positive encounter with an employee.

The only thing I can recall is on the MIB line, an employee nodding at my Mitch Hedberg shirt and saying "It sucks he's dead." And my replying, "Uh, yeah."

I had similar experiences. On my honeymoon, we did WDW for a week, then Hard Rock for two nights. USF really didn't do anything to make us feel like anything other than just another paying customer. Which, yeah, that basically is all we are... I know. But at least Disney fakes it very well.

In the many, many times I've been to USF, I can't actually think of a memorable positive encounter with an employee.

The only thing I can recall is on the MIB line, an employee nodding at my Mitch Hedberg shirt and saying "It sucks he's dead." And my replying, "Uh, yeah."

yeah this is true, very true,

It's weird when I am at WDW it doesn't seem that great, but it hits me a few days later that I miss it and think that it was great.

I can't comment on Universal employees since I've not been, but my buddy Pete told me a funny story from Uni Florida. There was an employee in-character as Doc Brown who asked him his name. When he answered, Doc Brown got very close and in Christopher Lloyd-conspiratorial voice said, "So your name is Peter and you work at the Daily Bugle, eh? Your secret is safe with me!" :lol

Granted, when I went to Islands of Adventure, Harry Potter hasn't even begun construction so I had zero negative experience related to something as trivial as what I was wearing.

I was just impressed that my one day at Universal had greater cast member experiences than my entire week at Walt Disney World. Yes, I was even yelled at by a hotel employee for standing at the wrong information desk, and by another while closing their store who said "go to Downtown Disney!" Several others just didn't know where anything was and didn't care to be there. It was extremely disappointing.

people in Disney are usually really nice and friendly,
the only problem I had at WDW with employees was with the lifeguards are the water parks or the resorts, they always seemed in a bad mood and always had an attitude, Ive never saw a nice lifeguard,
same with some of the bus drivers or the people cleaning, well they were mostly nice, but some of them were really mean,

people in Disney are usually really nice and friendly,
the only problem I had at WDW with employees was with the lifeguards are the water parks or the resorts, they always seemed in a bad mood and always had an attitude, Ive never saw a nice lifeguard,
same with some of the bus drivers or the people cleaning, well they were mostly nice, but some of them were really mean,

For the most part I don't really recall running into a rude Disney employee. Their health center staff is extremely friendly as well.

Must have been a bad week. I saw and dealt with terrible cast members every day. But then again, having been a cast member, I have a certain higher expectation.

Must have been a bad week. I saw and dealt with terrible cast members every day. But then again, having been a cast member, I have a certain higher expectation.

Any good stories you care to share when you were a cast member?

Any good stories you care to share when you were a cast member?

Tons but hard to remember specific ones when there isn't a topic. Here's a fun one:

Celebrity sightings:
-Nicholas Cage -- wearing a big cowboy hat and sunglasses, had two kids with him. No plaid (nickname for the Disneyland Ambassadors that usually accompany talent. They wear plaid.)

-Nick Nolte -- Almost ran me over backstage in his SUV.

-Warren Beatty and Annette Bening -- She was riding Dumbo with her kids and he was on the side taking pictures. Sweet moment actually. There was a plaid not too far.

I've seen several more while NOT working:

-Dave Foley -- Several times, both in California Adventure (I guess he's the voice of Flik and stuff and one of those elves from Prep & Landing). He had plaid with him.

-Jaleel White -- This is back in the Urkel days. Saw him in the Starcade with Adam Jeffries (black actor who was in Fox's True Colors... remember that show?). Then saw them later on Big Thunder.

-Donald Faison (scrubs) -- walking through Tomorrowland

-Jason Segel (muppets) and Chris O'Dowd (IT Crowd, Bridesmaids) -- wandering around Matterhorn with a plaid. They were both wearing Disney apparel.

-Ice Cube -- W/ plaid, getting on California Screamin' roller coaster.

There's more... I just can't think of them right now. I mean, I see John Lasseter there all the time too. But it's kind of his job to be there now.

I guess rappers love amusement parks. I saw LL Cool J at a Six Flags, just giving out hugs. What's funny is J is ripped and all muscular, but still had three gigantic bodyguards.

Also, I saw Mick Foley on Nitro. Oddly enough, he looks like your typical Six Flags guest.

Tons but hard to remember specific ones when there isn't a topic. Here's a fun one:

Celebrity sightings:
-Nicholas Cage -- wearing a big cowboy hat and sunglasses, had two kids with him. No plaid (nickname for the Disneyland Ambassadors that usually accompany talent. They wear plaid.)

-Nick Nolte -- Almost ran me over backstage in his SUV.

-Warren Beatty and Annette Bening -- She was riding Dumbo with her kids and he was on the side taking pictures. Sweet moment actually. There was a plaid not too far.

I've seen several more while NOT working:

-Dave Foley -- Several times, both in California Adventure (I guess he's the voice of Flik and stuff and one of those elves from Prep & Landing). He had plaid with him.

-Jaleel White -- This is back in the Urkel days. Saw him in the Starcade with Adam Jeffries (black actor who was in Fox's True Colors... remember that show?). Then saw them later on Big Thunder.

-Donald Faison (scrubs) -- walking through Tomorrowland

-Jason Segel (muppets) and Chris O'Dowd (IT Crowd, Bridesmaids) -- wandering around Matterhorn with a plaid. They were both wearing Disney apparel.

There's more... I just can't think of them right now. I mean, I see John Lasseter there all the time too. But it's kind of his job to be there now.

that's pretty cool, I guess in California thats pretty common, for in Florida i dont know if celebrities go as often there, except if is an special event like a ride opening,

that's pretty cool, I guess in California thats pretty common, for in Florida i dont know if celebrities go as often there, except if is an special event like a ride opening,

Yah, with so many "celebs" either living in Los Angeles (or New York), Disneyland is just 30-40 minutes away. Many grow up here are disneyland die-hards like John Stamos (who went to my jr high school).

Plus... once you're in a Disney film like many of the names above, you get free passes whenever you want.

Yah, with so many "celebs" either living in Los Angeles (or New York), Disneyland is just 30-40 minutes away. Many grow up here are disneyland die-hards like John Stamos (who went to my jr high school).

Plus... once you're in a Disney film like many of the names above, you get free passes whenever you want.

yeah that sounds awesome, im pretty sure celebrities might go to WDW from time to time, but the people i know no one has said they saw anyone famous,
except for Star wars weekends, when the actors come to sign autographs, but,thats not the same as them being in the parks

I had a wonderful time in WDW last week. Weather was great and the lines were amazing.
Now that I am home--I see they released the Yeti Vinyl guy.
If anyone can pick me up one--I can either pay now or get in August at Star Wars con.

Back