Walt Disney World and Disneyland(s) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, looking at my posts, don't get me wrong, i love disney, i like going to both, i dont want to sound like a disney hater, this all started when cokebabies asked about potter and someone said theyve never been to uni, which made me think that disney is super huge, like a small city, while uni is tiny,
but, if you are older than 9, dont have kids and you like fast rides, there is not that much at disney rides wise, Disney still wins in sheer size. the only thing i dont relly like is how a lot of stuff is made with children in mind, or babies, so for older people, like people in their 20s or 30s, theres not a lot

but, if you are older than 9, dont have kids and you like fast rides, there is not that much at disney rides wise

I'm counting four "fast" rides at Universal: Mummy, Rockit, Hulk, and Dragons. Granted, they're great rides (although I've yet to go on Rockit), but that's not exactly a large quantity.

But only discussing "rides" is ignoring "attractions", which themselves offer a lot of entertainment, often unique entertainment, at that. And adults can enjoy the "kid" rides, as well. Dark rides, for the most part, will always be classics. Although the only attraction that I'm aware of being designed for babies is the rider swap.

Everyone's got their own preferences, sure, but I can safely say I've never had any trouble filling up a week at WDW.

Whoops missed the Spider-Man part. I think a Transformers ride like that would be cool. It'd definitely top my list of rides I'd like to do. Is the JP ride out there the same as Orlando?

P.S. Three and a half weeks until my first Disneyland trip! :impatient:

The Jurassic Park ride is pretty much like Orlando though I hear from a few folks who frequent both coasts that the one at Hollywood is slightly better. I don't know how and I didn't ask for specifics but that's all they said.

The Mummy Returns coaster is WAAAAAY better in Orlando than it is in Hollywood. They tore out our beloved E.T. dark ride to cram a rollercoaster in so it just ain't the same.

I mean, looking at my posts, don't get me wrong, i love disney, i like going to both, i dont want to sound like a disney hater, this all started when cokebabies asked about potter and someone said theyve never been to uni, which made me think that disney is super huge, like a small city, while uni is tiny,
but, if you are older than 9, dont have kids and you like fast rides, there is not that much at disney rides wise, Disney still wins in sheer size. the only thing i dont relly like is how a lot of stuff is made with children in mind, or babies, so for older people, like people in their 20s or 30s, theres not a lot

Disney does it's own thing, but it is making attempts. The Rockin Roller Coaster ride and Expedition Everest comes to mind.

I was thinking of budgeting ~1000 for discretionary spending for the five days my family is in the park. Does that seem about right? We have our lodging, park tickets and meal plan all paid for, this is spending money I'm talking about.

I'm hoping to find one or two cool collectables while I'm there. Any suggestions where to find park exclusives?

I'm sorry dude, but me and my wife 36 and 30 go to Disneyland quite a lot and we have a blast every time...
There's plenty of fun stuff to do and watch for adults. Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours, California Screamin', Grizzly River Run, Matterhorn, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and fun games like Toy Story Mania, or Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters... besides, dinning and some shows are really cool...
Of course if your definition of fun is only fast rides, then better go to Magic Mountain since Universal Hollywood doesn't have that many rides either...

The Jurassic Park ride is pretty much like Orlando though I hear from a few folks who frequent both coasts that the one at Hollywood is slightly better. I don't know how and I didn't ask for specifics but that's all they said.

They are pretty much the same, same drop... but I think the Orlando one is a little longer... but both are fun IMO

The Mummy Returns coaster is WAAAAAY better in Orlando than it is in Hollywood. They tore out our beloved E.T. dark ride to cram a rollercoaster in so it just ain't the same.

Yep, I have to agree, the cool thin about the Orlando one is that just when you think it's over, things really get crazy! :lol!

I was thinking of budgeting ~1000 for discretionary spending for the five days my family is in the park. Does that seem about right? We have our lodging, park tickets and meal plan all paid for, this is spending money I'm talking about.

I'm hoping to find one or two cool collectables while I'm there. Any suggestions where to find park exclusives?

For most collectibles, you can get them cheaper online, the exclusives, depending on what you're looking for go to World of Disney in Downtown Disney, it's a huge store that has pretty much everything from most stores inside the park.
But for nice collectibles go to the Disneyana store on Main St.
:)

So there are no true park exclusives?

Technically, everything is a park exclusive. But how exclusive is it if you can buy the same thing in every park, downtown disney, or a variation of the same item on the other coast?

The Starspeeder 1000 toy is a resort exclusive and only sold at Hollywood Studios and Downtown Disney I think.

The Disney Store has become its own entity making their own plush, toys, and merchandise.

I'm sorry dude, but me and my wife 36 and 30 go to Disneyland quite a lot and we have a blast every time...
There's plenty of fun stuff to do and watch for adults. Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours, California Screamin', Grizzly River Run, Matterhorn, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and fun games like Toy Story Mania, or Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters... besides, dinning and some shows are really cool...
Of course if your definition of fun is only fast rides, then better go to Magic Mountain since Universal Hollywood doesn't have that many rides either...

They're speaking about WDW and are right on the money when they say "there aren't enough rides". Magic Kingdom has maybe 40+ attractions. Epcot, DHS, Animal Kingdom have around 25 each... and that's also including shows, exhibits, movies, and walking trails.

Disneyland on the other hand is in no shortage of attractions, clocking in 55+ attractions. California Adventure has like 30+.

It's all good, I didn't think you were hating on WDW. I'd only disagree in that it's more about taste than age (but obviously I know WDW skews to kids).

My wife and I are both huge Disney fans and neither of us is looking specifically for a thrill ride. We like the atmosphere as much as the rides. Something like Mickey's Philharmagic is just as cool as Rock and Rollercoaster to us.

On the other hand, I know guys who won't go to WDW with their family unless they can get a trip to Universal in there because they love the rides and WDW is too kiddy for them.

Lots of valid POVs on this stuff (especially considering the cost). :duff

On the other hand, I know guys who won't go to WDW with their family unless they can get a trip to Universal in there because they love the rides and WDW is too kiddy for them.

Recently I was watching TV with one of my daughters and there a commercial with a female rock-climer. At the end of the advertisement the woman is standing on top of a very tall natural rock pillar. My eight-year old daughter looks at me and says "Photoshoped!"

Like they say in the Polar Express, this is the "critical year" for my twin girls. Tooth Fairy went away a few months back. I'm sure they're starting to wonder about Santa. But I know they are still willing to suspend disbelief while they are at Disneyworld for those few days and believe in the stuff around them.

This trip isn't about rides or having fun (for me anyway). This is the last hurrah for my little girls seeing the world as children. That's worth more than the 4400 dollars in tickets. Universal is for some other year. I love big roller coasters, but I'm a dad first.

Like they say in the Polar Express, this is the "critical year" for my twin girls. Tooth Fairy went away a few months back. I'm sure they're starting to wonder about Santa. But I know they are still willing to suspend disbelief while they are at Disneyworld for those few days and believe in the stuff around them.

I'm 31, and when we do character dining, we still talk to Chip and Dale as Chip and Dale. :lol

But it's much harder to do with the "people" characters, like princesses, and stuff. That just makes me feel awkward. At least with masked characters, you can do they "hey, how are you, let's get a picture, okay bye" while they wave their arms and stuff. But when they talk to you, it gets weird.

That's one of the reasons I hated 1900 Park Fare. All "people" characters. But the main reason I hated it was that I thought the food at the buffet was a disaster. Definitely my least favorite sit-down at WDW.

$1000 to spend on collectibles should be plenty. Most of the things you can find at the stores in Down Town Disney.

Recently I was watching TV with one of my daughters and there a commercial with a female rock-climer. At the end of the advertisement the woman is standing on top of a very tall natural rock pillar. My eight-year old daughter looks at me and says "Photoshoped!"

This trip isn't about rides or having fun (for me anyway). This is the last hurrah for my little girls seeing the world as children. That's worth more than the 4400 dollars in tickets. Universal is for some other year. I love big roller coasters, but I'm a dad first.

Sorry to tell you... your daughter was wrong... That female rock climber was actually standing on top of that rock pillar.

Not to steer conversation bu t I thought I post some Transformers Ride pics. And while Universal wins with how amazing and impressive this ride is, they lose in overall placement or themeing. It's a square soundstage with a mural.

IMG_5060.jpg

Autobot symbols are EVERYWHERE

IMG_5017.jpg

IMG_5019.jpg

After going on without wait, I can't imagine standing in this a long time.
IMG_5020.jpg

The All-Spark on display
IMG_5024.jpg

Scorponok's tail
IMG_5026.jpg

More queue
IMG_5027.jpg

Evac is our hero of the story and we ride inside.
IMG_5038.jpg

12 Passengers
IMG_5039.jpg

Roll out!
IMG_5041.jpg

And that's all I took for now. Maybe if I ride again I'll try to get more difficult shots.

Looks like a nice queue, but yeah that outside is really weak.

Are there any more advanced things in this ride, or is it the same exact vehicle?

That's a pretty cool queue.

I'm counting four "fast" rides at Universal: Mummy, Rockit, Hulk, and Dragons. Granted, they're great rides (although I've yet to go on Rockit), but that's not exactly a large quantity.

But only discussing "rides" is ignoring "attractions", which themselves offer a lot of entertainment, often unique entertainment, at that. And adults can enjoy the "kid" rides, as well. Dark rides, for the most part, will always be classics. Although the only attraction that I'm aware of being designed for babies is the rider swap.

Everyone's got their own preferences, sure, but I can safely say I've never had any trouble filling up a week at WDW.

I find Rip Ride Rockit to be a huge let down. Every one I know that has been on it finds it to be pretty dull. Especially compared to the coasters Uni. That inverted loop sounds cool, but in reality its like a corkscrew that doesn't go upside down. Rock'n Rollercoaster is much better. Just my and three of my friend's personal opinions.

I see what you are saying..but I am 35 and havent been to Disney since '96..I cant wait to go..its not so much I am looking for adult stuff..I am looking to recapture some of my childhood again...the place is friggin magical.. lol

Back