Types of people that collect "High End Collectibles"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potato

Super Freak
Reaction score
Not a flame thread, i'm just curious what type/group of people Collect Toys but deny the fact that they are collecting toys but rather "High End Collectibles".

I mean yes majority of the stuffs are priced higher than normal toys, but most of them simply evolved from these normal toys, however i notice certain group of collectors like to claim themselves as High-End Collectors to separate themselves from toy collectors which sounds kiddy & for certain people embarrassing.

It's no doubt an expensive hobby when you start collecting everything released, but i compare the cost, it's really not much when comparing it to Luxury Watch Collectors, Classic Car Collectors, Luxury Goods like Handbags, or even Painting & Antiques Collecting. Sure it's pretty expensive when you compare it to stamp collecting & cola caps, around the same cost for Video Game Collecting, but the cost is still nothing compare to Track Hobbyist, Horse Riding & Boat cruising, so unless you are filthy rich it's impossible to collect High-End Collectibles while at the same time maintaining other expensive hobbies.

So what i'm guessing is many people hopped on the High-End Collectible bandwagon simply because:

1.It's an affordable, yet not deemed cheap hobby, it all depends how many you can afford.
2.The hobby getting all hyped up
3.You can argue that they are High-End Collectibles and not toys to non-collectors
4.You can tell people it's some sort of financial investment & 401k backup plan.
5.You started buying toys as a kid but just never stopped buying.
6.You couldn't afford other more expensive hobbies like Luxury Watch collection, Luxury Sports Cars collection, Sailing Yach, expensive handbags/purses/wallets and found a new form of collecting you can finally afford & manage.

Just wondering...

I collect overpriced Action Men & I'm not afraid to admit it. :lol
I don't and have never really thought about the figures as toys, more like 1/6 scale replicas of the actual person, that's why I get mad if HT screw up the likeness.

If someone else thinks differently then fine, they are entitled to their opinion but at the end of the day its my opinion that counts.

I collect overpriced Action Men & I'm not afraid to admit it. :lol
I don't and have never really thought about the figures as toys, more like 1/6 scale replicas of the actual person, that's why I get mad if HT screw up the likeness.

If someone else thinks differently then fine, they are entitled to their opinion but at the end of the day its my opinion that counts.

hmm, never knew action men were marketed as 1/6 life like replicas back then. good on ya.

+1 for being priced out of hand bag collecting. :(

Some leather feels good when you touch it, i believe they call it soft touch genuine leather, feels abit like suede in terms of softness & smoothness but the texture is leather unlike the fabric like suede.

Never called them High-end Collectibles. Action Figures, Over-Priced Dolls (wife calls them Over-Priced Barbies), yes, but never High-End Collectibles (that's the wording used by companies like HT to justify outrageous prices). I display them in my living room, talk about them with my friends, and don't really give a **** what anybody thinks about it. I've collected toys since I was a kid, and only ever stopped on occasions when money was tight. Within the last year or so, started getting in to kitbashing/customizing my own.

I only collect 1/6th. I call them collectibles or hi end action figures. Not because I am embarrassed, I just don't give a damn what people think of me. This is a legitimate hobby to me. Calling it a toy cheapens it. A toy is something you play with, is relatively cheap, and if broken is no big deal. My collectibles are set up in my "man cave" and are part of what makes it my room, which reflects what I am about as a person. With all that said my wife calls them my man babies and uses that term when telling others about me.

I never call them 'high end' except in conversations here where people understand it as a distinction between Hot Toys etc and other companies. I call them dolls, or figures, which is what most non-collectors understand them to be.

They are overpriced dolls.
I got my daughter several Disney princess dolls for Christmas. The heads are soft vinyl, but the clothing, and hair even (when you think about the dolls with "real" hair), aren't really any worse than you would expect from Hot Toys if they tackled these figures. Body isn't any worse in plastic quality, and they even have about as much articulation in the arms and legs. Sideshow probably wouldn't be as good. Their cost was $7.50 a piece. I'm sure there were 50 times more of these made than a typical Hot Toys figure, but still.

7. An inability/refusal to grow up, preferring the "company" of foot-high representations of fictional people, monsters and creatures to real-life, actual human beings. :monkey2

I only collect 1/6th. I call them collectibles or hi end action figures. Not because I am embarrassed, I just don't give a damn what people think of me. This is a legitimate hobby to me. Calling it a toy cheapens it. A toy is something you play with, is relatively cheap, and if broken is no big deal. My collectibles are set up in my "man cave" and are part of what makes it my room, which reflects what I am about as a person. With all that said my wife calls them my man babies and uses that term when telling others about me.

wow that's mean of your wife to do so, you should teach her to respect your hobby, one way or another, teach her a lesson if you have to, it kinda ruin the relationship when your wife keeps showing disrespect out of your hobby.

wow that's mean of your wife to do so, you should teach her to respect your hobby, one way or another, teach her a lesson if you have to, it kinda ruin the relationship when your wife keeps showing disrespect out of your hobby.
Well I smacked her around a little bit. I'll update my post to tell if it did any good. If not a may have to break out the belt.

Of course that was sarcasm. Dude really? It's all in good fun. I take no offense when she tells people that.

I was never into collecting toys when I was younger, but I have enjoyed collecting movie/film memorabilia. I have a reasonably large non sport card collection and a original prop/costume collection. When I discovered 1/6 figures and SSC maquettes about 4 years ago, I started to collect some of those.
I don't call them toys, just figures.

I'm not one to have too many though. Right now I only own 5 HT 1/6 figures, 2 old SSC figures and 4 SSC maquettes. I will be adding more, but I'm not going to have a large collection that takes up my whole house.

Spoken by someone who does not have a serious relationship or marriage, lol.

For my situation, as long as my wife knows she is taken care of and her needs are met, she can call my collection whatever the hell she wants to call it. Now, if the collection interferes with the punani, then I have a problem and I'll address it accordingly.

Back