Increasing prices and customers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone who believes they have a valuable collection for their future is in for disappointment.

If its valuable now, sell it fast.

Many reason have been pointed to in these 2-pages: generational interest, technology changes, too many "collectors" (just look at the 3 inch SW market).... all of these reasons are true.

A few very rare pieces might retain some sort of value in the future -- like the 3 inch Vader with telescoping lightsaber from 1977 (if you can find a buyer) -- but the majority of everyone's collections will be valueless and best served to be given away to hospital children.
Before I was into sixth scale collecting, I was a hockey collector. Signed pucks and photos, some game used sticks. A few jerseys. Nothing extraordinary but I have a nice collection of things that are taking a backseat to my pop culture hobby these days.

I have a buddy whose still very heavily into the hockey stuff and he can't for the life of him understand why he can't move some of his pieces (in an effort to save up for something big he wants). I keep trying to tell him - collectibles and memorabilia are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. If no one buys, you obviously need to lower your asking price. And in an age where the older folk who like to collect things as hobbies are getting phased out by the teens and 20-somethings who like to travel and go out to eat, there's less demand on this stuff.

Collecting anything as an investment is just asking for trouble. You'll be lucky if 5% of what you have retains it's value. Working on a collection because it makes you happy and you enjoy looking at it is really the only right way to go about this hobby.

Collecting anything as an investment is just asking for trouble. You'll be lucky if 5% of what you have retains it's value. Working on a collection because it makes you happy and you enjoy looking at it is really the only right way to go about this hobby.

Absolutely.

I recently bought a piece of art -- it's a limited edition large format photo, signed artist's proof etc.

A friend of mine pointed out that was why it commanded the fairly high price and that's what "gave it value" but in truth I don't see it that way. The photographer's skill and travel to the location etc. etc. are what factor into the price for me, the fact that it fits into my space and aesthetic ... I can't imagine selling it and more to the point I can't imagine I'd get what I paid for it given what I know of the market.

I bought it because I love it, and had the money to put towards it. For me, end of story. But I guess that's a little different from 'collectibles' or even (really high end) fine art. Even so, I don't see any of these things I love as an investment.

It is an investment … for the soul. It’s part of me and that will never change no matter how much Mr HT and Mr Hasbro add zeros to their prices.

I remember when they were $65.

I've also seen a lot of people leave the hobby over price increase. But then I've seen a lot more come into the hobby too. So... price is relative I suppose.
When you entered at $65; $300 is ridiculous.

When you enter at $300 you know nothing else, it’s just how it is.

How are my fellow UK collectors handling the current exchange rate of 92p to $1?

$100 is now £92. $285 would now be £262, there’s basically no difference now. Plus shipping and customs fees there’s just no way I can justify buying Hot Toys right now.
Not UK here, but Euro wise, I'm paying obsence amounts. BCS' Tommy, after the taxes and everything, will cost me about 500€, maybe more. I never thought I'd pay that cash, but here we are... I was looking at my Deadpool comics some months back, trying to see which issues I was missing, and to map the upcoming Omnis. Then it hit me that I'd drop another ~200€, plus another ~300€ for the figure, on a character who makes fart jokes and ***** a stuffed unicorn. Why was I ever into him? The costume, really. But still. Where does he fit? Why keep it going? All I could think of was "what the Hell am I doing". When I go back home, I'm going to unload some more stuff. I'm not even selling them, I just throw them to the bin. I must've thrown away at least 1K in comics last year. It's either that or get them all. What's even the point anyhow? I pay 4.4€ for each issue, and most of my collection is worth ~2$/floppy now. It's all so worthless unless you really, genuinelly, like something and aren't just buying to buy.

Anyway, personally, Kit's my saving grace, otherwise with taxes and everything I wouldn't be able to afford all the licenses I'm trying to juggle. It helps that I can just hit him up and send him small deposits every month. Sometimes it's nothing, others it's 50$, and bit by bit I pay the figure off. Either way, saving on taxes and shipping is a godsend. I skipped on all those JoyToy WH40K figures because they'd cost me ~80€ per 1/18th figure, but then I found a Chinese vendor who uses the same tactic, paid ~40€ for a Captain, and I'm hooked. Honestly, these 40K figures give me more pleasure than the stressful "gotta PO this to complete this team but gotta wait for that costume" type of collecting 1/6th has become. It's more fun, and I don't have to pass every purchase through some test to see if it's worth the cash. I see a cool little soldier from a Chapter I like, and I buy him. It's pure.

Some of my collectibles have retained their value pretty well, others have increased in value. I know the majority will decline in value. However, if I sell something for less than I paid for it, I also have to remember that I got to enjoy it for a while. That's worth something.

Recently canceled three troopers with Sideshow. I can't justify spending 11 500 SEK (= $1010) on three clones at the moment Although, might have been able to resell for the same amount or higher amount, but it's a hassle.

I wonder how things will escalate. Maybe this is the worst as it gets, maybe not. The energy crisis in Europe this winter will be amazing.

Back