Twilight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, hi :wave

Secondly, you won't be lost without reading the books. This was the first movie I'd ever seen after reading the book (goes for LOTR, Potters, everything). There were so many little things that I picked up on and found much more enjoyable having the knowledge of the character

Spoiler Spoiler:

That is why I directed it toward Twilight fans, the majority of those fans are a hybrid of emo and goth combined. Its hilarious. But then again I could careless about emo's or goths both are just something people need to out grow. Good luck getting any decent job looking or acting like that or have fun working at Spencers or Hot Topic your whole life lol.

I think it's time for you to move along. With every post you are sounding more and more ignorant. :wave

To Bad Moon, Loki, Dave, and anyone else who has seen the movie and read the books: do you think I will be lost since I haven't read the books?

you wont be lost if you havent read the book, but the book does show bella having an attachement to the Cullen's

Spoiler Spoiler:

I think it's time for you to move along. With every post you are sounding more and more ignorant. :wave

Wasn't directing any of that toward you I was just saying in general from the people I have seen at the theaters waiting in line and on tv for this film look to be the emo/goth type lol.

Wasn't directing any of that toward you I was just saying in general from the people I have seen at the theaters waiting in line and on tv for this film look to be the emo/goth type lol.

Then you really need to get out more. And you might try being a bit less insecure about your own masculinity. The constant need to puff yourself up by trashing other people doesn't make you look cool.

I just don't get the appeal of Harry Potter or Twilight, I admit I haven't read the books but watching a bunch of wand toting children or emo goths just isn't my thing. I mean if you are a grown man and can get into a movie that was intended for tweens then more power to ya. :rotfl
I find your post hilarious and condescending at the same time. You're posting this on a board where a good portion of the members collect 12" figures. Do you collect them also? If so, doesn't your post scream of hypocrisy for collecting in laymans terms, an expensive toy.

I'm 40 years old and read comics. I've seen all the Harry Potter films with my kids and think they were great. And I collect "action figures". Most on this site are people like myself who refuse to grow up, choose to watch or collect things your average adult thinks are "childish". If you don't share in the beliefs on this board then why are you here.

You had another trolling post about the hobbits on the LOTR section. If you don't like something that is fine but to troll in a thread for your own amusement is entirely something else.

To pretty much label someone a pedophile because they like the Harry Potter films is a bit much, don't you think?

Then you really need to get out more. And you might try being a bit less insecure about your own masculinity. The constant need to puff yourself up by trashing other people doesn't make you look cool.

Wasn't really intending on trashing anyone, if thats how it came across then i'm sorry. I get out trust me, i get out so much I think thats why it makes me sad to see all these retards acting this way. And by the way I could careless about trying to look cool on a messageboard, seriously.

I find your post hilarious and condescending at the same time. You're posting this on a board where a good portion of the members collect 12" figures. Do you collect them also? If so, doesn't your post scream of hypocrisy for collecting in laymans terms, an expensive toy.

I'm 40 years old and read comics. I've seen all the Harry Potter films with my kids and think they were great. And I collect "action figures". Most on this site are people like myself who refuse to grow up, choose to watch or collect things your average adult thinks are "childish". If you don't share in the beliefs on this board then why are you here.

You had another trolling post about the hobbits on the LOTR section. If you don't like something that is fine but to troll in a thread for your own amusement is entirely something else.

To pretty much label someone a pedophile because they like the Harry Potter films is a bit much, don't you think?

Ok maybe I haven't made my views on this clear. I'm no troll trust me, I have friends on this board just like many of you and I also don't get off on trying to talk trash to people. I also didn't call anyone a pedophile for liking Twilight or Harry Potter, other then I don't like books or movies that center around children. I'm a grown adult that would like a more mature story. I am not trying to identify with children or teenagers so those films do nothing for me. I do share in most of the same beliefs people have on this board, I collect certain collectibles which I use in my theater room. Everyone is allowed to throw their oppinion around and some you may not agree with but don't try to make me out to be something I'm not or put words in my mouth. Anyways if you want to get into it just send me a pm and we can chat. :)

There is SOME REASON people are drawn to these books and this movie, and it's not all Robert Pattinson... although that helps. :naughty

It's fad and formula and timing. Everyone was into Beanie Babies and Pet Rocks at one time. Hell, even Richard Simmons has a massive following. :rolleyes: When, for whatever reasons, anything reaches a certain level of cultural awareness, it snowballs and the casual person jumps on the bandwagon because they don't want to be missing out. Same reason people will often stand in lines they don't even know what they are for. The election is over, there is no other big shared cultural event to get into right now and no other big tent movies to compete with.

I'm fine with gothic romance or any other genre really, if they are well crafted, interesting stories. This ain't one of them. To compare this series in quality to Harry Potter, Star Wars, LotR, etc. is ridiculous. A more apt comparison is to Danielle Steele, Judith Krantz or any of that stuff with Fabio on the cover.

If you really dig the gothic, vamp, romance stuff, try Anne Rice and Poppy Z. Brite, or even Clive Barker or Jim Butcher, who all tread this ground with infinitely more skill, fun and creativity.

Last edited:
I still haven't figured out all this emo stuff. Goth I know, but just what is emo?

how-elmo-works-1.jpg

Right?...

To compare this series in quality to Harry Potter, Star Wars, LotR, etc. is ridiculous. A more apt comparison is to Danielle Steele, Judith Krantz or any of that stuff with Fabio on the cover. .

It isn't so much about the material itself (though I think Twilight is comparable to HP in ways), but the way people seem to act towards it when they're fanboys for something else. It amuses me that so many guys I've spoken with are all "I'm too manly" for this movie and downing female fans of Twilight when they're diehard into comics/scif-if/collecting. It's the pot calling the kettle black. Let girls scream over Edward Cullen. I'm sure there will be guys salivating and wetting themselves over Watchmen, just as they did with Dark Knight and others before them, like Star Wars. That's where the comparison lies. Fanboys and fangirls aren't as different as some would like to believe.

It is true that Twilight has its fans (most of whom are teen and preteen girls who are mainly interested in the "I wish a handsome prince will come fall in love with me and sweep me off me feet", "Robert Pattinson is dreamy" part of the film) but what is somewhat disgusting about it for me is that it's such a poorly told story. With the Dark Knight and Watchmen, those are actually well crafted, deep, thought provoking stories, and, IMO, deserving of a large fan base. Even Harry Potter and it's simplistic good vs evil, hero's journey story is told with creativity, wit and charm. Twilight is brain bleach. It saddens me that there is nothing much else out there of quality with a female protagonist that appeals to that demographic. They're so starved for stuff that appeals to them that they'll lap up any derivative crap that's churned out.

The vampire stuff is just window dressing, quite lame, goofy window dressing I might add, and the plot and characters beneath are droning, bodice ripping, bosom heaving, trashy romance novel fare. It's "I was a Teenage Vampire", 90210 Anne Rice Lite, just as Eregon, another terrible book & movie, was lame Tolkien Lite. If that kind of stuff does it for ya, more power to you, but there are much, much better, more interesting stories out there.

I just don't get the appeal of Harry Potter or Twilight, I admit I haven't read the books but watching a bunch of wand toting children or emo goths just isn't my thing. I mean if you are a grown man and can get into a movie that was intended for tweens then more power to ya. :rotfl

Seems you hate fantasy in general. WHAT are you doing on a fantasy/sci-fi oriented forum then? :confused:

Twilight is emo/goth lite. Potter has nothing at all do do with either.

For the last time I would just like to say if anyone wants to bash it thats fine with me. However, at least give reasons why you don't like it other than that's gay and thats too goth or childesh. If you are not giving good reasons then your opinion in my book doesn't count. IE read the damn book and not the first 10 pages. It was a slow book to start. For me anyways. Thought it was pretty boring yet interesting. The end really picks up. Same with the second book. It has a really long dry spell in the middle yet ends with a bang. I still need to get on 3 and 4.

I just wish people would actually do their homework before turning in their papers. :lecture

Back