True Detective

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think Marty throws Rust under the bus, to cliche IMO. Something bigger is going on. Marty wouldn't turn on Rust since he covered for him in the "shootout". The detectives are opening Marty's eyes to another possibility concerning Rust for sure. Its now building to where Marty will have to make that choice...he started not wanting to hear Rusts mumbo jumbo so will he start listening more openly to his words? Something is going down with Marty's daughter. She is the key to something. If the detectives sway Marty and he thinks Rust is the killer, he could end up killing him to protect his daughter or to get revenge for something that happens to her. I can see Marty killing Rust, but then finding out he was wrong, Rust was right, then ending with Marty having his eyes opened to the truth before he to is killed. Kind of reminds me of Frailty and the Gods Hand Killer.

That is an ending which is probably coming because the story "The King in Yellow" leads to utter madness and chaos entering the world. If Rust dies at Marty's hand for all the wrong reasons, then the darkness and chaos which is so prevalent in the story, will have won. You guys are correct. The daughter is going to come into play, somehow. She has been exposed or marked by this darkness and the "sex scene" with the dolls was the first inkling and her behavior last night as a teenager proves it. We have to then look for suspects who may have exposed the girl or both girls to that darkness--was it Marty, his wife, his wife's mother and father (they are apparently affluent) or someone else we have not have met yet. And no, this series is now bound to end on a monstrous note with the good guys getting their asses kicked. "Frailty," "se7en," both of those are definitely like what we are seeing. And you guys should really check out a film called "Kill List" from Ben Wheatley which is one of the best thrillers I've seen in years that really looks at a lot of the same ground that TD is covering. Wheatley is a name everybody is going to be knowing from here on out as his films have been getting monumental attention and he's about ready to explode in geek circles as he's directing the first two episodes of Doctor Who this year.

Last edited:
Only person I could see doing as good a job as McConaughey is Daniel Day Lewis. I'd love to see them both in a film together.

This show is all kinds of badass. McConaughey has come a long way. And, Harrellson's side-piece is nice and top-heavy.

Hell of a show. One of the best on TV right now.

JB

This thread is full of some good thoughts and insight. I love shows like this that cant just be watched once. This show requires multiple viewings and is incredibly deep. Damn shame we only have 2 episodes left.

This thread is full of some good thoughts and insight. I love shows like this that cant just be watched once. This show requires multiple viewings and is incredibly deep. Damn shame we only have 2 episodes left.

You've seen the 6th episode already?!

So Rust in the present is still working the case in hobo mode?

Maybe he had to let himself go to **** to infiltrate even deeper into the cult. He look pretty pissed when that guy said he didn't like the look of his face and refused him the deal.

I'm guessing he then wanted to be brought in for questioning to get a read on the two detectives working in 2012 and what they knew.

Im actually hoping the people behind the ritual killings dont turn out to be the rich people and the governors brother as they've hinted at in the preview for season 6. Its too cliched and has been done to often lately in TV and other movies. Im actually hoping we never really find out who is behind the killings. And it ends with Hart & Cohle defeated ala Seven. As Cohle said " This is a world where nothing is solved" so I hope they take it that direction.

I definitely think Rust and Marty are still working together. Rust discovers that the true killers are high ranking political or religious figures and the only way he can continue to investigate is going off the grid. Rust and Marty are pulling a Keyser Soze with the two detectives - throwing them off and lying. Marty did say, "You just miss what is right under your nose." Of course, this is all speculation but considering the elements in the show and the title itself; it seems the directors and writers are showing us what a "true" detective does and that's going into the darkness. It's interesting that after 17 years, they both lie perfectly for each other.

If it does end up being a cult, bunch of higher profile people, or the supernatural, there is no way either come out on top. We all speculate that Rust, Marty, or both could be or know the Yellow King. If neither don't then they both are going to have a tragic ending. No heroes in this story. It sure is fun trying to figure out wtf is going on though.

There was a line about ' this is someone's faded memory of a town' One or both of them has to be lying about what really happened. We saw the start of that with the shoot out story.

There was a line about ' this is someone's faded memory of a town' One or both of them has to be lying about what really happened. We saw the start of that with the shoot out story.

even before that with the lie about rust going to see his dad

Don't know about others, but last episode was the first to confuse me. lol. Brilliant show in many ways, however.

Back