True Detective

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great article, jrice. Very interesting and it actually makes sense, as opposed to someone reading too much into 'easter eggs'. As if I wasn't curious enough about where the show's headed, this definitely adds another layer. I've always been intrigued by Lovecraft (didn't realize he was influenced by Chambers) but I'll have to make a point now and search some of their stuff out.

And now, tonight's episode just further went to solidify what was in that article and what's really floating around this series. The Yellow King is very much alive and is connected to a vast network of powerful people who really are doing the Devil's work. LeDoux was a patsy to get Hart and Cohle to end the case. Cohle after the big discovery tonight let the case consume him and he became obsessed with it. Now his obsession after 10 years has led him back to Louisiana. Hart's own decadence infected his family after all with his eldest daughter on the verge of becoming truly lost just like all the victims he's had to investigate. The imagery, the flat circle of time discussion, the children being used all point us again to the fact that there is a hole in the world and darkness is pouring out of it. And the ending at the school just gives me the heeby jeebies.

Yea, great episode AGAIN! I also just bought a copy of The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories online. I can't wait to read it after this show ends to see the similarities.

Yea, great episode AGAIN! I also just bought a copy of The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories online. I can't wait to read it after this show ends to see the similarities.

That book and that story is creepy as all get out. I read it years ago when I got into Lovecraft as I was told it was similar. The use of it in TD is more than just superficial as we all now know. It really is extremely integral to the story arc.

I have not read the article yet and will do so in a moment. Thoughts on tonight... I have 2 daughters and the scene where Harts daughter gets caught with 2 dudes literally made me sick to my stomach. So freaking depressing but I wonder how it is connected to her journal and barbies we saw a couple episodes ago. What happened to her? I also feel that there is no way Chole is guilty. I feel like he has been undercover during all his MIA time and still is in the present. He has figured something out and that is why he is back. I still feel like the show might be headed in the direction of Hart being guilty but I really hope it is not either of our two main characters since those types of stories have been told many times before.

Now I will read the article to see what all the fuss is about. :)

Past 2 episodes have propelled this to one of my all time favs very quickly. Everything about the production has been really top notch and riveting storytelling. The next episodes can't come quickly enough.

Fantastic episode, last night (and great timing with that article, too, jrice). Only depressing thing is that we know it's not going to end well for Cohle.

This series came out of left field and kicked everyone's asses. To me this is probably the best written and best acted show on television right now--better than Breaking Bad. I've always liked Matthew McConaughey as an actor, but his performance in this series should not only get make him a shoo-in for an Emmy, but will probably cement his case for the Oscar even though I haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club yet. Woody Harrelson is also doing an amazing job (not on McConaughey level, but still great). But beyond the top caliber acting and directing, the writing is just absolutely jaw-dropping. The slow build, the character arcs, etc. The King in Yellow article showing the Easter eggs is definitely mind-blowing. I was putting a bit of it together, but not nearly that much--I'm not into Lovecraft or Chambers though, but now might consider reading some of it. I've been curious to see what Rust is building with his beer can figures --the way he was putting them into a circle made me think it was ritualistic. Keep in mind that all started with him saying that he wanted his beers before starting the interview. Watching Harts girls grow up over the course of the last episode was poignant and "heart breaking". And you know something is about to give over there. Anyway, I love single season/limited episode series as opposed to something being a hit and then being milked until the writers don't know where to take it (Prison Break and Heroes for example, and Walking Dead is running that risk now). So eight episodes and done is perfect IMO. They can go the American Horror Story route and keep the brand but change out the story and actors (AHS reuses the actors, but I don't see A-listers committing to more than one condensed season).

Based on Woody's oldest girls drawing of sex and the drawing of the "spinning symbol" something tragic is going to happen with her or already has. It appears she is marked in some sense. McConaughey is amazing in his role. Rust is no doubt going to have a tragic ending or he is THE tragic ending.

I'm thinking my wife is right and Marty is gonna throw Cohle under the bus. He has to know that Cohle can't be the killer, yet seemed to be considering the investigators accusation that Cohle was behind everything. Also, am pretty sure at this point that the governor and his brother are, if not the Yellow King, big players in this game.

I'm thinking my wife is right and Marty is gonna throw Cohle under the bus. He has to know that Cohle can't be the killer, yet seemed to be considering the investigators accusation that Cohle was behind everything. Also, am pretty sure at this point that the governor and his brother are, if not the Yellow King, big players in this game.

I don't think Marty throws Rust under the bus, to cliche IMO. Something bigger is going on. Marty wouldn't turn on Rust since he covered for him in the "shootout". The detectives are opening Marty's eyes to another possibility concerning Rust for sure. Its now building to where Marty will have to make that choice...he started not wanting to hear Rusts mumbo jumbo so will he start listening more openly to his words? Something is going down with Marty's daughter. She is the key to something. If the detectives sway Marty and he thinks Rust is the killer, he could end up killing him to protect his daughter or to get revenge for something that happens to her. I can see Marty killing Rust, but then finding out he was wrong, Rust was right, then ending with Marty having his eyes opened to the truth before he to is killed. Kind of reminds me of Frailty and the Gods Hand Killer.

Last edited:
Hmmm, good speculation, there, though Marty had no choice but to confirm his previous story vis-a-vis the shoot-out, given he was the guy that blew sonny's head off to begin with. So I wouldn't look at that as any kind of loyalty to Cohle.

I don't think Marty throws Rust under the bus, to cliche IMO. Something bigger is going on. Marty wouldn't turn on Rust since he covered for him in the "shootout". The detectives are opening Marty's eyes to another possibility concerning Rust for sure. Its now building to where Marty will have to make that choice...he started not wanting to hear Rusts mumbo jumbo so will he start listening more openly to his words? Something is going down with Marty's daughter. She is the key to something. If the detectives sway Marty and he thinks Rust is the killer, he could end up killing him to protect his daughter or to get revenge for something that happens to her. I can see Marty killing Rust, but then finding out he was wrong, Rust was right, then ending with Marty having his eyes opened to the truth before he to is killed. Kind of reminds me of Frailty and the Gods Hand Killer.

Im thinking Marty knows that Rust went off the grid for 10 years and their split might've been just a ruse to allow Rust the time to do so. The governors brother or other high ranking officials are in on this for sure. They might be trying to pin all the murders on Cohle, but im thinking the storage locker is full of all the evidence hes been gathering from 02-10 when he reappeared. The angle that either Marty or Rust is in on it is so lame and doesnt make sense compared to anything we've been shown thus far.

Hmmm, good speculation, there, though Marty had no choice but to confirm his previous story vis-a-vis the shoot-out, given he was the guy that blew sonny's head off to begin with. So I wouldn't look at that as any kind of loyalty to Cohle.

Rust came up with the plan to cover up that guys murder. He owes him now. At first Marty dismissed and begged Rust to shut up just about everytime he opened his mouth....now Marty knows Rust is on to something so he trusts him. Question is, is Rust pulling everyone's strings or is Rust onto something much bigger.

...The angle that either Marty or Rust is in on it is so lame and doesnt make sense compared to anything we've been shown thus far.
I wouldn't say "in on it" as in active participation, but Marty has shown that he's afraid of what his superiors can do to his career, if he doesn't tow the line. It's not inconceivable to me that he would shut-up about anything he knows, if it means keeping his job, even if it meant Cohle going down for something he didn't do.

I wouldn't say "in on it" as in active participation, but Marty has shown that he's afraid of what his superiors can do to his career, if he doesn't tow the line. It's not inconceivable to me that he would shut-up about anything he knows, if it means keeping his job, even if it meant Cohle going down for something he didn't do.

He might of been worried about that in the 95 or 02 scenes but as of 2012, Marty is no longer a detective.

Dang, forgot about that... *theory crashes and burns* Just really didn't like how he was considering their theory as opposed to dismissing it outright. Also, the way he keeps mentioning the "detective's curse" of not noticing what's under one's nose. Seems like he's setting up a narrative where Cohle was playing him the whole time.

Dang, forgot about that... *theory crashes and burns* Just really didn't like how he was considering their theory as opposed to dismissing it outright. Also, the way he keeps mentioning the "detective's curse" of not noticing what's under one's nose. Seems like he's setting up a narrative where Cohle was playing him the whole time.

Im not sure if he was considering it, he was just keeping quiet at that point. I think I have a few theories on where it might go and whats going on but im sure there will be a few plot points no one sees coming. Thats why this show has been amazing so far.

Funny, that the governor's brother when we met him was in charge of a group concerned with a never ending war on Christianity. Yet, he and his brother and so many others may be the very group that LeDoux was talking about when it comes to the Yellow King and the place in the woods where children are sacrificed.

Back