True Detective

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been a huge fan of McConaughey until this show. I always just thought of him as "that guy" in all the romantic comedies with Kate Hudson. That is until this show. He has become one of my favorite actors because of this role and it will be a damn shame if he does not win an Emmy for his performance.

:goodpost::exactly:
The same here! Matthew is on his way to the Oscars too!
Brilliant actor.

I think I'm one of the few females in the world who didn't like his roll in "Magic Mike" (altho his body is amazing) but since, I have certainly become a full blown fan with TD, Mud and DBC. He is a very talented actor and should win an Oscar for DBC and an Emmy for TD.

tumblr_m6gu62DhOW1r8b40k.gif

:ohbfrank:

mattmc.jpg

That pic is hilarious.
But yeah I'd say by next year Mcconaughey will have an Oscar and an Emmy. The guy really has had one of the greatest career reversals ever. He started off great in A Time to Kill then a bunch of romantic comedies. I think he started turning it around with The Lincoln Lawyer...a great flick that not a lot of people saw

MM is killing it now. Seeing him in WOWS, Dallas Buyers Club and TD you can really see his range even though he's not a complete chameleon, meaning he still seems like himself, none of those characters are alike and he acts the **** out of them. Especially Rust... This character is just unreal.

I already want a 1/6 Rust!

I love this show so much, the last scene of episode 4 was one of the most amazing scenes I've seen on TV or anything else really, from a direction and a cinematography standpoint. It was brilliant.

I had to force myself to wait to watch it until today because I knew I couldn't handle more than a days wait for 5 and I was right.

I really love how unconveluted the dialouge is on this show, yet how crucial hearing every part if it is. I don't want to miss a line or not understand a line of it. It's incredibly straightforward yet incredibly well written.

I love the angle of how in 2012 Rust is still sticking to the story of how he took a leave to see his dad, when in the flashbacks you can see it was an orchestrated coverup for him and Marty going rogue.

I really would love to see a second series of Woody and MM because I love the dynamic between Marty and Rust. But it's kind of cool to think about thiis show in different settings, decades and contexts. As long as one doesn't really overlap the wire because it's hard to do anything like It because that show really covered ever single angle of the dynamic between law enforcement and the drug trade in an urban project neighbourhood setting.

I read Christian Bale and Denzel are being thrown around as names for season 2.

I thought Season 2 was supposed to be like AHS as in same actors but in different roles? I'd love to see MM, WH w/CB and DH. I love CB.

I just watched all 4 eps back to back there, it's a slow burner to start but man that shootout finale was something else.

This will fill my BrBa void nicely.

Can't see A-list actors committing to more than one season. I think it's a great idea to switch up the protagonists like that. Even if we only get 3 or 4 seasons as strong as this, it'll be one of the best series ever.

I just love the tone and the implication of the supernatural and building of dread. Reminds me a lot of se7en.

I just love the tone and the implication of the supernatural and building of dread. Reminds me a lot of se7en.

Exactly. se7en is one film that TD definitely owes a lot but little by little the undertones have been building to something reminiscent of a supernatural thriller. The article from io9 really puts that into perspective. Once the body was discovered, the investigation kicked off and Cohle started waxing poetic about a universe that is out to kill us all and a search for truth that will end with finding a monster, my head has been filled with thoughts about Lovecraft, Stephen King, the films The Wicker Man and Kill List, as well as any number of films that deal with the occult, satanism, or the Devil. Its all there and I think it all came together in episode 4 when Cohle and Hart interviewed Charlie the inmate who was cell partners with LaDoux and he reminisced about LaDoux telling him about a place in Louisiana where all the rich people go to worship the Yellow King and make sacrifices to the Devil. That's creepy as Hell. If this series ends like se7en or "At The Mountain of Madness" with the characters completely beaten and madness having overtaken them and darkness their world, its going to be THE holy **** moment for a series that was full of holy **** moments.

Great article, jrice. Very interesting and it actually makes sense, as opposed to someone reading too much into 'easter eggs'. As if I wasn't curious enough about where the show's headed, this definitely adds another layer. I've always been intrigued by Lovecraft (didn't realize he was influenced by Chambers) but I'll have to make a point now and search some of their stuff out.

Back