Top 10 Favorite Fictional Characters 2016 Edition

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this was really, really hard, since I'm a really indecisive person. But, I tried my best, and, ATM at least, these are my faves:

8ssg6DQ.jpg

Not really in a particular order, as I like them pretty much equally, but here's the rundwon (top to bottom, left to right):

1) Moon Knight: My absolute favourite character ever. He's like the Punisher, but he also explores themes of religion and spirituality amongst the usual things anti-heroes concern themselves with, which elevates him to the top spot. I could write more, the gist of it is that he's both bad-assery personified, but he also has some really deep and great stories, especially during the Moench era.

2) John Constantine: He's the ultimate bastard, the biggest c*nt you'll ever meet, and, in the end, that's what makes him unique. Sure, he'll help sometimes, but mostly he's out to save his own skin. He's not suave, hot or a genius. He's not a brilliant athlete or a great guy, he's a conman who leaves devastation in his path. That's what makes him fascinating to me.

3) Nick Fury Sr.: Not that Nick Fury Jr. or Ultimate Fury ****e, the original, the one true Nick Fury. This guy is basically Marvel's Big Boss, though he still "pretends" to be a "good guy". He has done so many shady things that you could easily classify him as a villain. From murdering someone just because he betrayed his unit (while being black-mailed), to invading Latveria and almost costing Luke Cage his life, Fury is a SOB. And that's just the 616 version. The MAX Fury by Ennis is an absolute monster.

4) John Marston: The only video-game character in recent years to have a genuine personality. Honestly, while most gruff-protagonists can be summarized as "tragic backstory + plot = DEATH" Marston was really different. He wasn't haunted by his past or had guilts, he had simply turned over a new leaf and lived his life. None of the "drunk" BS, he was a straight up good man. In general, the whole RDR environment and story created a brilliant world with a wonderful protagonist.

5) Batman: Well, there's not much to say that hasn't been typed already. Batman is the ultimate comic-book character, the only one who is able to transcend the medium. He's an icon, a symbol and, in some cases, dare I say a good role model (I said in some cases). The perfection of man, the courage, the guts, they all make Batman a brilliant character who will never cease to amaze. I could go on and on, listing his many qualities, but the gist of it is that he's the ultimate male power fantasy.

6) Darth Vader: The first villain to prove that even those who have lost their way can still redeem themselves. A complex figure, whose motivations and goals went past "tortured soul" and "plain bad-ass". He genuinely believed that what he was doing was for the best, and he knew that the Emperor was evil, but he was still bound by his past mistakes. Deep down he knew he was the bad-guy, but he never had the courage to do anything about it, until he truly had the "guts" to do the right thing.

7) Doctor Doom: If Batman is the ultimate male power fantasy, then Doom is the...uh, superior male power fantasy? The guy is a genius, a great sorcerer, a ruler, etc, etc. He's basically every trait you can think of combined to make the perfect man. But it's his vanity and fear that ultimately force him to lose. He could be the best hero this world has seen, but his insecurities, past and fate make him bound to repeat the same mistakes. Truly a fascinating character, especially at the hands of Byrne and Hickman.

8) The Maker: He is a relatively new addittion to the list, but Ultimate Reed Richards is a brilliant character. He's basically trying to create the future here in the present, but those pesky heroes won't let him! The difference with other megalomaniacs is that he doesn't spout of "you are inferior!" lines every 2 seconds. He genuinely wants to help the world, which he did in Ultimates, by erasing debts, planting fast growing crops in barren lands, advancing science, etc, etc. His methods are questionable, but he has humanity's best interests at heart. What I like as well is that, in constrast with 616 who has seen Hell, Mephisto, God and the like and is still a "nananana, SCIENCE, SCIENCE!", Ultimate Reed accepts that there are things out there far older and mysteriosu than him.

9) Big Boss: What can you say about Big Boss that hasn't been said already? Again, a man with relatively good intentions, but whose methods were questionable to say the least. A soldier at heart, with no other way to live, Snake's whole life was combat. The Boss' death pushed him over the edge and he finally understood that politics change with the minutes. Today's enemy will be tomorrow's ally, and the atrocities of the present will be forgotten in the future. His struggle with loyalty was a really fascinating thing to experience IMO, and it's what makes him a truly great character.

10) The Joker: There's really not much to say here. Like Batman, the Joker is an icon, a being who transcends the medium and isn't just another comic book villain. He is porfane, unique and has an interesting worldview. In a place where justice doesn't exist, where allegiances change, where nothing matters, how can a man live? Obviously he takes things to the extreme, but he personifies a lot of today's problems with integration in society, which is what makes him truly a brillaint figure in literature.

And just for fun, here are two of my favourite comic-book panels ever:

b6fuda2.jpg

Oh, great. Thanks a lot! Now, I have to read Nick Fury! Ugh...why is life so hard with all this good stuff! :lol

Can you recommend a run for me in the regular 616 universe? Thanks!

Oh, great. Thanks a lot! Now, I have to read Nick Fury! Ugh...why is life so hard with all this good stuff! :lol

Can you recommend a run for me in the regular 616 universe? Thanks!

616: Strange Tales 135-168, Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD V1 (Steranko) and V2, plus Hickman's Secret Warriors.

MAX: Anything by Ennis (Fury: Peacemaker and all vols of Fury: MAX).

In no particular order:

Fox Mulder
Jean-Luc Picard
Sam Beckett (Quantum Leap)
Nate Fisher (Six Feet Under)
Batman
Indiana Jones
Rick Grimes
Walter White
Don Draper
James T. Kirk (Shatner)

Also:

Ripley
T2 T-800
John McClane
Han Solo
Neo
Opie Winston (SoA)

Last edited:
What the meaning of ur sig?

It's a picture from the Batman Incorporated story arc where Batman travels the world to franchise out the Batman ideology. I think his ideology is something everyone can get behind: surpassing your limits and using your gifts for altruism. That picture is the first thing I thought of after making my top 10 fictional character list. I didn't put that much thought process into it. :lol The full cover is on the first page.

It's been years since I read the story, so my memory is pretty spotty on the story details.

You know, I don't know if this is allowed, but, while I did make my Top 10 already, I skipped a certain character, because he's miles ahead of the rest, to the point where he's in a whole other league of his own. I'm of course talking about The Doctor from Doctor Who, who's probably my favourite character in all of fiction by a longshot. He encompashes everything I like in fictional people. He's sympathetic, intelligent, sometimes dark and dangerously close to the edge, kind and furious, he's basically got most character traits, both good and bad. Anyway, I thought I should add this so that I can "complete" my list.

You know, I don't know if this is allowed, but, while I did make my Top 10 already, I skipped a certain character, because he's miles ahead of the rest, to the point where he's in a whole other league of his own. I'm of course talking about The Doctor from Doctor Who, who's probably my favourite character in all of fiction by a longshot. He encompashes everything I like in fictional people. He's sympathetic, intelligent, sometimes dark and dangerously close to the edge, kind and furious, he's basically got most character traits, both good and bad. Anyway, I thought I should add this so that I can "complete" my list.

Allowed? :lol Knock your self out! This is a great way to introduce characters or other fictional properties to other people. I know absolutely nothing about Doctor Who, so I appreciate it! I completely forgot about Aragorn, and he's my favorite character of my favorite novel! I also realized that the reason I might have liked a creator's writing for certain characters more than the characters themselves. I'm not a big fan of superheroes with powers, but I left Cyclops on the list because I related to him so much growing up, and I left Daredevil because...I couldn't think of anyone else, and I love Frank Miller!:lol

Allowed? :lol Knock your self out! This is a great way to introduce characters or other fictional properties to other people. I know absolutely nothing about Doctor Who, so I appreciate it! I completely forgot about Aragorn, and he's my favorite character of my favorite novel! I also realized that the reason I might have liked a creator's writing for certain characters more than the characters themselves. I'm not a big fan of superheroes with powers, but I left Cyclops on the list because I related to him so much growing up, and I left Daredevil because...I couldn't think of anyone else, and I love Frank Miller!:lol

I left a lot out of my list too, seeing as I'm mainly a comic guy, but I wanted to diversify it a bit. Deadpool, Deathstroke, Spider Jerusalem Green Arrow (Van Dyke Ollie is best Ollie) just to name a few.

Off the top of my head ...

Ron Swanson
Indiana Jones
Walter White
Raylan Givens
Narrator (Fight Club)
Rick Grimes
Jack Bauer
Bruce Wayne
Gregory House
The Most Interesting Man in the World

SnakeDoc

Mine will be all over the place:

Vito Corleone (I love both actors portrayals but as a bigger DeNiro fan I chose him)
fad2018f86b7c07e8664de09c469b344.jpg

Kratos
998161580d9e43cd06681b31d9b0f266.jpg

Godzilla
ab0d1800e565ad6ca6d1ea6e8e011ed8.jpg

Bond
d0ee135d121adf87c27fe3533b76da2a.jpg

Spawn
bca21a4c61c9f655b869521a478a80c6.jpg

Ezio Auditore
f0c1dc8e0b70c7191a5d6278809180ae.jpg

Darth Maul (movie appearance only)
6da845685a7c32cc05e39fadc874d813.jpg

Captain America (moreso the movies than the comics)
6515f104c9296ac514aa573fd70886b4.jpg

Toothless
232847d8c40a14a2131d1bd87ca6f426.jpg

Stitch
97ddced661cc9a5cf3a4e599d097687d.jpg

Khaleesi
55e79f5c30e7a654631b71d9819c302b.jpg

Scorpion
09a37bbcb2ea78a68e2f7eb75f773be0.jpg

Deadpool
ca686e18ca0bf57638c1afda720805fe.jpg

Honorable mention: black panther, wolverine (films), hulk, Nathan drake, Han solo, boba fett

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I left a lot out of my list too, seeing as I'm mainly a comic guy, but I wanted to diversify it a bit. Deadpool, Deathstroke, Spider Jerusalem Green Arrow (Van Dyke Ollie is best Ollie) just to name a few.

I'm not sure who Spider Jerusalem is, but I really like the rest of those characters. I haven't read Deathstroke in a long time so that's why I didn't think of him, but he was my second favorite comic book character under Batman when he was written by Marv Wolfman. I loved the Teen Titans and the solo series. I don't know how it holds up upon re-reading it though. And yes, Van Dyke Ollie is the best....well, it's the only one I've read, so I guess I can't say that. I love that look though. The DCUC Green Arrow was one of my favorite figures. Oh, and I meant to say I'm not a fan of characters relying on superpowers over skills and intelligence. That's why I was okay with Frank Miller's Daredevil when it came to superpowers. It was because Frank Miller wrote it as though Matt had abilities that all humans had and the radioactive material just made it easier for him. He then lost his powers and was able to still be a great martial artist/crime fighter. Characters like Deadpool and Deathstroke are still very interesting to me without their abilities.

Back