ThunderCats Classics by Mattel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think the hike in price is to do with maybe producing lower numbers an MOTU. Thundercats doesn't have as large a fanbase as MOTU does so it may well be a very scaled back minimal like designed to keep the IP in the public eye. Least this is my thinking.

The price is giving me pause on this one. Plus, I don't think I need a huge Thundercats line. Plus, I'm so sick of dealing with Digital River's crap. I sort of want to cherry pick, but the price and shipping makes that hard to do.

This is exactly where I am at too.

Mumm Ra being a exclusive is complete BS. That's like Skeletor being the exclusive.

I still plan to sub, but I don't have a good feeling considering the price increase and dropping figures. They just really don't seem to know what is going on there anymore. I just hope they are able to finish all of the main Thundercats.

I feel really, really bad that Mattel has this license, because I love the Thundercats and wouldn't mind collecting these. Especially when I see other companies doing it right, like the DC Collectibles BMTAS figures and vehicles. They had some screw ups in the beginning but they took care of them right away to please the customers. Their Animated Batmobile is of incredible quality for the price, and it lights up. Can't say the same for the MOTUC Point Dread set. :(

There's absolutely no way I'm going to subscribe with only seeing two prototypes and knowing how untrustworthy Mattel can be. Also, $30 plus approx. $11 for shipping and taxes is ridiculous.

I wish I could cherrypick. I'm the opposite on this line. People say they loved MOTUC, I cherry picked them(I only have he-man, shera, skeletor, orko, adora, keldor, hordak, evil lynn, and buzzoff.). THIS I'd be all in. I loved Thundercats growing up and still love these characters.

Better to pay $30 now, than 70-100 per figure later.

Mark my words these will be super expensive on eBay this time next year.

Mattel knows how limited the collector base for this line is, I don't understand all the backlash Mattel receives... all their SDCC exclusives have done exceedingly well.. no other toy company has been able to do this toyline justice in 30 years, so yeah ... wait another 30 years or pay $30 per figure. Easy decision. Some people are never satisfied. From the prototypes, these look fantastic.

theres going to be a San Diego Comic Con exclusive.. that's kind of obvious since the figures dropped were from the months of July and August

What better way to advertise the line-up than a Con Exclusive?

Hasbro did that with their Marvel 3.75" line back in 2008 / 2009 and again with the return of Marvel Legends a year prior to their release.

Jaga and Grune are most definitely at CON, or available sometime in 2017

Mumm Ra being a exclusive is complete BS. That's like Skeletor being the exclusive.

that's what happened with the original toyline in 1986

He was a mail-away exclusive.

And its the mummified version, the other one will obviously be available to everyone after 2016

I went in on the subscription despite my dislike for Mattel with the whole Snake form Hiss thing.

Mattel knows how limited the collector base for this line is, I don't understand all the backlash Mattel receives... all their SDCC exclusives have done exceedingly well.. no other toy company has been able to do this toyline justice in 30 years, so yeah ... wait another 30 years or pay $30 per figure. Easy decision. Some people are never satisfied. From the prototypes, these look fantastic.

In 30 years,nobody is even going to care about Thundercats,He-man,GI Joe etc....this line is marketed to the 80's generation (us).Today,this generation of kids could care less about action figures and only care about Video Games.

same can be said about Archie Comics, Mickey Mouse, Flash Gordon and Star Wars etc etc...

theres always some install collector base for these properties due to nostalgia

The reason why Transformers are still one of the best selling toylines is the aging population that grew up on the series

We are nearly 80 years since Supermans first appearance and collectors still go ape**** over toys, stamps, coins and collectibles

If you don't think there is much interest in these properties, look at this forum for starters.

If you don't think there is much interest in these properties, look at this forum for starters.

there is interest to the generation (that is mostly this forum as a whole) that grew up in the 80's....as I said....in 30 years,today's generation isn't going to care,especially about Thundercats

Mattel backlash is mostly well deserved.

I think you're making the mistake of assuming everyone who would be interested in this line is a die-hard Thundercats fan. That's part of my issue. I LIKE Thundercats. But... I'm not a die-hard fan. The hoops I've jumped through over the years for MOTUC has been done partly because I'm such a huge MOTU fan. If I was a huge Thundercats fan, then I'd probably pony up $30 (or, realistically, $45/month with shipping) for these figures. As it is... just can't do it. Plus, I've seen too many other "Gotta have it" lines on Matty go to clearance (Ghostbusters, DCUC, Watchmen) to fall for the hype too hard. I hope T-Cats does better than that. It'd make me happy. But as it is, the cost is actually really prohibitive. If they'd made them the same price as MOTUC this year I'd have dived in.

As it is, I am going to see what they might show at Toy Fair and make my decision from that. So, hopefully they have something more to show.

One day someone is gonna announce a live action Thundercats movie

Irrespective of its popularity and presence in mainstream

The 2011 reboot did fairly well

Back