Thinking of getting a Laptop, not sure which

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looked about online at the macbook pro and it seems kinda neat. checking out the bestbuy website and the price really kills it for me. the ones i saw were like $2,100+

can prob guess that they dont really go any cheaper than that unless they are already old models.

Looked about online at the macbook pro and it seems kinda neat. checking out the bestbuy website and the price really kills it for me. the ones i saw were like $2,100+

can prob guess that they dont really go any cheaper than that unless they are already old models.

Go refurbished. Yeah you pay more for a Mac, but you work less on maintaining your computer. Time >>>>> Money. I been on Macs for over 10 years and zero issues. PCs, yeah that's another story. Simply put, a Mac works.

Have you considered Apple yet? My MacBook Pro handles most games like WoW..

Just my .2, all the best in your search ;)

yup. get a mac. you can run Windows on it. my friend converted me to apple about 7 years ago. once you go mac you never go back.

Absolutely understandable, but you can install Windows on a Mac very easily and it runs beautifully.

Though, as people say, spending some more on a MacBook would be the best option.

I bought a Macbook Pro last January and love it man. They are the bestest!

I got the Macbook Pro in July of this year and it's fantastic.

I just got the 17" Mac Book Pro with the quad-core Intel i7 processors yesterday. Upgrading to 8 GB of RAM. I love my laptop. I needed my Mac because of school. We only use Macs. Film school.

At least look into a Mac. I use to be a PC user only and made fun of Macs and said I would never ever get one.

But PCs just pissed me off too much and when it came time to upgrade I took the leap to a Mac.....and I am so glad I did.

Macs are expensive, so only look into them if you can afford it, otherwise don't bother.

Go refurbished. Yeah you pay more for a Mac, but you work less on maintaining your computer. Time >>>>> Money. I been on Macs for over 10 years and zero issues. PCs, yeah that's another story. Simply put, a Mac works.
:lol:lol:rotfl:rotfl:lol:rotfl

I was thinking of getting myself a laptop. I currently use a desktop, but my current one is already getting aged out as its about 6 years old.

I was hoping that I can get one that can play something like WoW on ultra or close to it. Would also like something that can play The Old Republic as I doubt my current PC can handle it (plays wow at low).

So far I've seen these 2 at the store, but not sure how good they actually are...or if there is something better. Lower price would be best, but not if its gonna make the system crap. I basically kinda want a gaming laptop in a way, but would also like it for various other things.

Dell - Inspiron Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 8GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive - Diamond Black

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 6GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive - Platinum

Smaller screen I could work with. I got a 22" screen, but with a LP the screen will be alot closer then my monitor is to me. Though I would like to keep a good sized HDD.
Cant go wrong with a mac. Id go and look at the Dell before you buy. I have an oldish Dell i3 but not overly pleased with the build quality - screen surround is cheap and you can get your fingers behind it. Also has over heating issues which iv heard allot of them do. fixed easily with a cooling tray but it is an issue.
Other than macs and depending on spec and budget, I got my mum an Asus i5 which is a really nice laptop and very well made, feels allot stronger than the Dell. Im sure they have higher specs out and well worth a look.

Will prob end up going with the 15" Macbook Pro with 750GB. I was looking around at the Windows boots up thing and it seems easy enough. Thing is, will I be able to still use Mac OS? I would mainly want the windows part for a few games, but would prob like to use Mac for the rest.

If I do this will I have to do it right away, or could I do it at a later date? I would hate to transfer things to the Mac part, and then have it formated when installing Windows 7.

I have a 2009 Gateway P-7811FX which was a hot gaming laptop at the time.. but got tired of dealing with the heat/venting/overclocking it would take to keep it happy while playing COD.

That said.. I also have a macbook pro.

I love the Gateway P-7811FX. It is my day to day laptop. I only use the macbook when I need to do iphone development.

Windows 7 pro also allows for XP virtualization mode which rules when installing trial software. Use it .. then delete the entire XP virtual machine.. then make a new one! booyah.

I should add that I switched to an XBOX360 to play videogames. I turn it on, and play. No overclocking or shenanigans to deal with.. which is refreshing.

Is this te to get?

https://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=3116278&pid=1218379465365&catId=&ev=prodView

Or is the 17" one better? Only difference I can see is the screen size.

a bigger screen is always nicer. if you're really thinking about getting a mac, you should really go to an apple store and ask them all the questions you want. Plus you can see what they have to offer and try everything out.

is this the computer you're looking at?
https://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD322LL/A?select=select&product=MD322LL/A

regardless, you should buy from apple whether it be in store or online. you can save $100 or possibly more if you use the student discount. just click education store at the bottom of the apple page. you don't really have to be a student, just pick a college near you. finally i recommend getting the 3 year apple care plan. just don't buy it on apple. you can get it for much cheaper on ebay. for example, apple care for my imac is $170 on apple but i paid $65 on ebay.

Last edited:

You laugh but it's true. I was just like night creeper. Made fun of Mac users because it was "cool". Love my Mac. What is cool is having and buying a product that consistently works like it should. Seriously that's cool! :yess:

a bigger screen is always nicer. if you're really thinking about getting a mac, you should really go to an apple store and ask them all the questions you want. Plus you can see what they have to offer and try everything out.

is this the computer you're looking at?
https://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD322LL/A?select=select&product=MD322LL/A

regardless, you should buy from apple whether it be in store or online. you can save $100 or possibly more if you use the student discount. just click education store at the bottom of the apple page. you don't really have to be a student, just pick a college near you. finally i recommend getting the 3 year apple care plan. just don't buy it on apple. you can get it for much cheaper on ebay. for example, apple care for my imac is $170 on apple but i paid $65 on ebay.

Yeah a bigger screen is what I would normally go for. Don't seem to much of a big deal for these though since they will be right up on ya, compared to a desktop monitor sitting back away from you. Just wasn't sure if there was any innards that were different that I didn't notice.

Macbook Pro 15" Link

Thats the one, posting the link in a copy/paste form on my phone didn't work out all to well from what I just saw. Right now they are on sale for $2,059, so about $140 savings atm. Plus my store and another (not sure how far) are the only ones that have them in stock.

I tried it out for abit at BB last time I was there, and the speed was alot better then my PC (though that is aged 6-7 years). Been watching alot of videos on different apps, reviews, info, impression, ect on youtube, as well as reading abit on ifans forums.

Friday should be the day I can go in and get my first Mac,hope it gets better and I don't go "....oh, so yeah, that total wasn't worth the price".

Yeah a bigger screen is what I would normally go for. Don't seem to much of a big deal for these though since they will be right up on ya, compared to a desktop monitor sitting back away from you. Just wasn't sure if there was any innards that were different that I didn't notice.

Macbook Pro 15" Link

Thats the one, posting the link in a copy/paste form on my phone didn't work out all to well from what I just saw. Right now they are on sale for $2,059, so about $140 savings atm. Plus my store and another (not sure how far) are the only ones that have them in stock.

I tried it out for abit at BB last time I was there, and the speed was alot better then my PC (though that is aged 6-7 years). Been watching alot of videos on different apps, reviews, info, impression, ect on youtube, as well as reading abit on ifans forums.

Friday should be the day I can go in and get my first Mac,hope it gets better and I don't go "....oh, so yeah, that total wasn't worth the price".

Time > Money

You'll love your Mac!

Switched to Mac under suffrance a couple years back and I cant help but think of the things I miss most about owning a Windows PC: malware, spyware, constant virus checking, registry editing, OS re-installs...

Windows PC, never again :)

Is this the correct ram to get for the MacBook?

17a81f13.jpg

Does Apple make a laptop with a Blu-ray drive yet?

Nope, which is ridiculous because of their amazing screens. I just got the 17" quad-core i7, and I am switching my Mac Book Pro to a Solid State Drive and 8 GB of RAM. I wonder if you can switch out the DVD-superdrive for a Blu-ray. I may do that as well.

Yeah that RAM looks good.

I'd like my next laptop to have a Blu-ray burning drive, but I'd pass on a Mac if they can't even play them back--that's a requirement for me. I know Apple wants to force us away from physical media, so I guess it's no surprise that they don't support Blu-ray. They seem to think that sub-HD video quality is good enough for those nice big screens.

Checked out crucial since I didnt think the site was compatible with mac (like srtest.com). It says that the PC can be upgraded to 16GB, which I already know is off, but the ones it suggested were bascially the same that I saw at BB.

Though the price at BB was like $34.99 each, while the bundle for 2 4GB sticks came out to about $50 with free shipping. So if I do go through with the upgrade, might as well save myself $20+.

So far so good, still getting used to some of the changes, but so far its been going just fine. Kinda wanna do a video thing just so I can see the editing program and such.

Back