Which do you prefer: Design or a Specific Character?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACON!

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I have an feeling I am unusual in this opinion, but I thought I would cast it out to the forum.

In setting up my figure collection many years ago, I started by photographing them and first began to focus on getting archetype characters: Policeman, Thug, Bank Robber, Terrorist, Priest, Prisoner. Themes basically revolved around good vs. bad. Over time I did not like the implied violence in the characters I chose. They were all so binary.

Then years later I discovered Hot Toys and the MCU, TOS Star Trek and Terminator, which kindled all kinds of childhood memories. Hunting down or customizing the specific character is what kept me coming back; screen accuracy does not really resonate for me, but details do, as well as materials like real metal, leather and glass. I built and continue to build very detailed environments for my figures.

Now that I have virtually any character I have ever wanted in 1/6 form, my tastes have gotten a bit more adventurous. I am focusing more on character design and staying away from anything licensed. These are more of an art form than fandom. Quality materials and detail are still important. so now I am buying figures made by Black 13 Park and Snow Corporation; my collection has essentially gone from binary to dystopian over the last 15 years or so.

So, would you ever buy a figure that you do not know the backstory behind, but just because you liked how it looked? If yes, how do you integrate that into your current display?

Is the costume variation of say, Iron Man or Spider-Man, something that attracts you? If so, how you do display the multiple figures of the same character?

I have to like the character and story (comic, manga, movie..etc.) before buying a figure.

However, I've been unfamiliar with a cool looking character (for example, Fist of the North Star) that gets my attention because of the way they look, and thus I then familiarize myself with the character or source material, before I invest on a figure.

Every figure I own is because I feel an attachment to the character/story. I don't have anything in my collection that I purchased for the design alone; that's more of a bonus for me when it comes to a figure.

I also have my characters that I have multiple figures/collectibles of, versions of, etc...purely because I love the character.

If something catches my eye, I might look into what it comes from, but I have to become a fan of it to buy figures from it.

I collect movie related things, like props, production pieces, official guides etc., so for me the movie/animation is primary in choosing a figure. I like a lot of movies that have no figures represented in 1/6. Some arthouse probably will never be addressed with official releases, and even with non official. The figure is a part of the extended film experience for me, so no figures just because of design (though ThreeA were nice ones).

I'm tempted by the ThreeA Optimus Prime from Bumblebee sheerly because I love the effects and design work that goes into their creation. The Michael Bay films although the quality dipped as they went on, were great fun popcorn movies with insane effects. Seeing those replicated in sixth scale is very exciting.

A bit of both Design and Character. If it’s a character (and in many cases an actor/actress) that I like, I have to also like the overall design; my Avengers/Iron Man collection isn’t from any one specific film — but chosen because I liked the specific look of the characters. I have bought figures that I’m not always familiar with based on overall design, but they also tend to fall into a genre that I can work with alongside other figures.

as long as the figures are about something i love - ill buy it, it doesnt matter to me where the figure is from! e.g I'll buy anything Jurassic Park and be happy!

Just to provide a bit of context, the intrinsic design of these figures are what I am really exited about now

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

I do my purchases solely on design. I don?t necessarily have to like the characters. Though my collection typically falls into 3 categories. 1/8, 1/6, or 10? and above regardless of scale.

Such as this. Bought solely due to design, didn?t even finish the show because it was so bad.

cf746bf05f04ac8c583e24974c0f72ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mezco Toys introduced their Gomez character with a bunch of guns and accessories, he's gotten numerous variants now and I like them.

This Wednesday their first real new character called Baron Bends (he's like a scuba/benthic character) is coming out, it'll be interesting how fans go in for a totally new character that's not like a fun guy with guns and swords. I'm probably going to buy it because I'm Mezco crazy, but we'll see how I like it in hand.

For me, it has to be something I have a level of personal attachment to. When I was collecting Minimates I used to buy everything. They were cheap and small enough that I wanted to complete all the teams and their incarnations, all the Rogues Galleries, everything. When I got into 1/6th I started off with characters I liked at the time. I dropped the hobby due to the circumstances of the periods, but befre that happened I managed to get a 10th Doctor with Tennant's signature. By that time I was already iffy on DW, but for a time I liked it all enough to want the figure. I also bought a 7b 11th Doc. When the 9th and 12th rolled around I passed. I enjoyed them, sure, but enough to drop 300 euros, especially during that climate? Certainly not.

Now, I've come back in the last few months and made some POs. I got swept over and put one for Arkham Batgirl. I did so with the intention of completing the Arkham line, but then I thought about it. The material is a gamble, and so is the question of HT even finishing the line. What if I end up with two Harleys, three Batmen, one Batgirl, and am still waiting for Scarecrow? But I thought about it some more. Do I even like Babs that much? Sure, she's a hot redhead and the design is great. I've played and 100% all the games so far. But do I really like her? Do I really like the BatVerse that much? To drop 300 Euros, on average, for each figure? And in the end, the answer was "no", so I cancelled. I didn't like the subject matter enough to drop all that money, while also forgoing any chance of buying any other figure. That alone was a major problem for me, because it's not like I can buy a new 1/6th every month; I have to pick and choose.

So, yes, I need to have a familiarity and investment in the character. I POed Tommy Shellby in Batgirl's place today. Do I like Peaky Blinders? It wouldn't crack even my Top 20 shows, and the latter seasons are awful. But, I do have an investment in Tommy himself. Maybe it's the clothes, Murphy's look and acting, generally the "cool factor". But, I do like him enough to throw 300 Euros at him. I won't buy anything else from the show, since I only want just him. And it's how I operate with other characters and properties. Someone I like a whole lot I might buy a variant or two of. I'm a big IronFan since I was a kid, but I waited until the very end to get a fig, because I wanted a more comic accurate armour. Endgame's was close enough to the Modular that I pulled the trigger. Now, if they come out with a DX Set of Tuxedo Tony packed with an updated MkIII and/or an IM1 Pepper, I'd probably get it. Whatever variant they ever do for Doctor Doom when he shows up in the MCU, I'll probably get that too. But I never bought, say, the variant of the 10th Doc they did, because he was just a passing interest of mine. One I wanted a representative of, like Tommy here, but one where I'd buy multiple versions. For me, you kinda have to pick and choose, otherwise the Completionist Mentality takes over and you start hoarding. I can see myself completing a specific X-Team in 1/6 (maybe; like I said I don't much like the Muties these days, so it'll have to be a case of nostalgia due to good and accurate costumes and casting), but I'm generally staying away from stuff like the Avengers or the GotG, because I don't care enough to pay thousands for them. I'm more of a "case by case" type of guy.

To add a last thing however, when something looks cool enough, and I have time to familiarize myself with it, and develop a sense of attachment, then I could buy it. For example, I got into The Witcher with the games, way back when the first one hit Internet Cafes. I still haven't played the 3rd one (my rig can't run it yet) and don't have much experience with the books. I don't like it enough to slog through the awful Netflix though. But(!), the latest game's designs are so damn good, that I'd certainly PO Geralt, Triss, Yen & Ciri were HT or whoever else to make them. Now, I'm not buying them on the "coolness factor" alone since I do have some attachment to them and have the audiobooks, but you get my point.

For me, such collections are about getting those figures that mean the most or are generally classics. For example I wanna go back and buy a Jack Sparrow. I'm not the world's biggest Blade Runner fan, but I'd PO a good Deckard in a heartbeat because he's timeless. There are tons of characters I like more than him across all media, but I'd be willing to drop 300 on him. Now, of course there's a "priority queque", as there are figures I'd buy before others, provided I even have the funds, but you all get what I'm getting at.

I wish HT would make a definitive Jack Sparrow from POTC 1 this year.

Honestly, aside from the pants I can't remember any differences, but I'd welcome it. A new Davy Jones is a must, too. Man, I miss the days when HT made more than just Star Wars and MCU...

t. Still holds out hope for more MGS figures

HT only made Snake from MGS3 in the wrong suit! I wouldn't want them anywhere near the license now. Damtoys or Asmus would do it right.

HT only made Snake from MGS3 in the wrong suit! I wouldn't want them anywhere near the license now. Damtoys or Asmus would do it right.

Yeah, fair point. I passed on both back in the day, but these days I'm feeling "desperate". I just want some official 1/6 MGS stuff. I know there are 3rd Party Companies making some good product right now, but if it's not official, I see no point in buying it. And dammit, someone needs to step up already and make some goddamn figures.

On second thought Damtoys would make 1 figure a year. They still haven't shown their RE2 figures. I would kill for a MGS 1 and 3 Ocelot, and Snake from all of the games.

Why the hell hasn't a company made these officially yet?

On second thought Damtoys would make 1 figure a year. They still haven't shown their RE2 figures. I would kill for a MGS 1 and 3 Ocelot, and Snake from all of the games.
I'd certainly want a PW Big Boss and an Old Snake. Then an MGS 1 & 2 Snake, then...
Maybe rights problems? Last I heard there was a rumor that Sony wanted to buy some classic franchises from Konami, MGS included. It is weird though that no new MGS merch is being produced. It's a big enough IP to not want constant games to have merch coming out.

For me I stick to my favourite franchises. With a heavier focus on Metal Gear Solid and Batman as their the top!

The only franchise I?ve bought for pure aesthetic is Ashley Woods ThreeA series. Specifically the Adventure Kartel

Any other random deigns I?ve liked have been extremely limited therefor expensive figures

My exact feelings and shock! How have we not had MGS1 or MGS2 Snake in 1/6th yet.. madness.

LimToys teased MGS2 Snake second. That was three years ago now, with nothing in sight..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back