Think I'm starting to lose intrest in the hobby....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the other posters here in that less is more. The more you own the less excitement you will get from owning a figure as you'll be constantly be receiving figures and will lose the buzz of owning something good and new fairly quickly. I used to collect a lot of 1/6th scale figures spending thousands every year but I admit now it was an addiction that just grew and grew and ironically the more I collected the less better I felt about it. It became about the number of items i could own and less about the enjoyment of the figure.

Now that I limit myself to about 2 collectibles a year or just something say one item of high value that i really want i must admit I feel much better and have regained my sense of enthusiasm for collecting the figures especially 1/6h scale figures.

Last edited:
It's not just you. Many people experience this during a long relationship.

Sounds like you need to spice up your sixth life.

Maybe a little foreplay before diving in and opening them up? Try caressing the box for a while to get you in the mood.

Or maybe try doing it in different places round the house? If that fails you could be more daring and do it in public places with the risk of getting caught.
:wink1:

surprised-reaction-gif.gif

This... this is brilliant :lol

Well, my sixth scale life is prospering I get more and more figures each year, I actually tried new scales, 1/8 ... 1/9 and I liked it

I can understand that, as I see so many people on here with so many figures I feel sometimes if I had that money I wouldn't be as excited opening them for the first time which is why I try to limit my collecting based off a certain product like for instance just The Dark Knight items.

I can understand that, as I see so many people on here with so many figures I feel sometimes if I had that money I wouldn't be as excited opening them for the first time which is why I try to limit my collecting based off a certain product like for instance just The Dark Knight items.

Nah, once you have over 400 figures, each time I look at the collection I see something I had forgotten about - there's always something new and fresh.

Nah, once you have over 400 figures, each time I look at the collection I see something I had forgotten about - there's always something new and fresh.

any chance you actually purchased something you actually have but forgot and by the time it arrives and you chuck it in your storage you saw the same figure you have but forgotten and hit yourself in the head?

My two cents: Hot Toys overprices their figures, produces a ton of each, and saturates their catalog with so many versions of the same current characters that we don't get "classics" as frequently as we used to. Like Johnny Utah said, Ripley and Matrix are fantastic. They break the monotony. I certainly don't buy as many HT figures as I once did, partly due to wanting to focus my collection, but also because the characters that really mean something to me come along maybe twice a year now.

I'll tell you one thing. Focusing the lines you collect boosts enthusiasm quite a bit. Set parameters. What would you really like to consistently see with your collection? Varying scales (if you want) helps too. Have a mental image of how you want to organize what you have and how it looks.
If you buy nearly every release from every franchise, your collection will lack structure and your shipments will become more predictable. Once the novelty of ordering every single Hot Toys figure (because when you started, it was like "OMG HOT TOYS") wears off, you realize just how little sense that approach makes in the long run.

Again, just my two cents. More power to people who buy loads of 1/6 and fill their detolfs to the top. I'm simply discussing what works for me.

:goodpost:

I think there is also the issue that collectors getting into the hobby, have such an enormous range of cool stuff to chose from, that it can get a little crazy.. discipline and focus..discipline and focus.. Ooooooooooom.

any chance you actually purchased something you actually have but forgot and by the time it arrives and you chuck it in your storage you saw the same figure you have but forgotten and hit yourself in the head?

ALL the time.

I've done that more than once.

As a statue collector the excitement of waiting for a new piece has been replaced with worry.

That is no joke. After Big Chap and Catwoman I'm almost afraid to open anything from SS.

lol...it hasn't happened yet...but i would see a doctor about it if i did.

You are right, they are that not that many good figures that I want now days, Marvel hot toys saturated the market for me and actually made me not buy any marvel figure that would come out. I started with the Avengers line, but once I saw the new movie line up, Personally I wanted to stick with just main characters, but that would over saturate my wallet and nahh I'll stick with DC figs or other movie lines that interest me.

In the meantime I stick with Lego.

Over the last month or so I think I have hit the wall as well. Other than getting all 4 of the Mezco One:12 Batman figures I really don’t have any desire to get anything else. I canceled all my Sideshow orders, I don’t think I am going to renew my Gentle Giant PGM Membership and while I still have two things on order with them (The Darrell and the Wolves autographed exc and the new AT-AT Walker bookends which I may or may not keep) I just don’t have any more interest in anything I see coming out from anyone right now. I have a lot of cool items that I love to look at and I don’t want to get rid of any of them but it seems like the anticipation of getting, the excitement of opening and the joy of ownership is just not that great anymore.

Cost – these things are just getting WAY out of control. $220+ for a 12” figure, almost $100 for an art print, 450+ for a PF type statue is just crazy. I know prices of all materials have gone up but when the quality of the materials used goes down yet the cost of the statue goes up its just not cool. Normally I don’t care about statue weight because how it looks is more important but comparing the original 25 lb Hulk PF to the new 5 lb one just shows me they are skimping on quality and costs but not passing that down to us in the prices. And its not just Sideshow its everyone.

Lack of Diversity – there are just way to many of the same things out there. Do we really need a 2nd Batman and Joker PF this soon? Do we really need a 5th Hulk statue? Do we really need 57 Iron Man figures? How many Harley Quinn statues have been made in the last 2 years? I know why companies do it but its having the opposite effect on me. I don’t need a 30th Harley Quinn figure at the expense of all the other cool villians. And then when somebody does have a new and cool and different idea (the Sideshow Star Wars Mythos line) it gets squashed because it doesn’t fit the “new owners” new BS direction. Thanks for nothing.

I don’t know if this is just temporary and I just need something different to peak my interest again (like the One:12 figures) or what but I can easily see myself spending a lot less money from now on. Venting over.

Back