Think I'm starting to lose intrest in the hobby....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainpaulo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I love my collection but Everytime I seem to open a figure I'm less and less enthused...is it just me or do others get the same.

I got this year Hot toys

The Wolverine....The Crow...Selina Kyle...Black Widow...Winter Soldier....MOS and Zod...Spiderman....Barney Ross v2. TDW Thor..Art toys Dredd..Art fig Dolph lundgren.

I wanted all these figs but don't get the same buzz anymore...with Dreed and Dolph I was most blown away by and they are half hot toys price.

Starlord coming in a few weeks and I'm out for a while I think.

Don't get me wrong I love this forum but Everytime I seem to open a useless thread I'm less and less enthused...is it just me or do others get the same.

I got this week's useless thread

The General section....The DC section...Marvel..Indian Jones...Star Wars....LOTR...Military...other Topics

I wanted all these 'thinking about leaving the hobby' threads but don't get the same buzz anymore...with 'What's your current collecting state of mind?' I was most blown away and it wasn't as useless as the others.

Another useless thread coming in a few weeks and I'm out for a while I think.

I get that feeling sometimes but then HT announces something like John mother****ing Matrix or Ripley and I'm back in. There's an ebb and a flow to this **** here.

Don't get me wrong I love this forum but Everytime I seem to open a useless thread I'm less and less enthused...is it just me or do others get the same.

The General section....The DC section...Marvel..Indian Jones...Star Wars....LOTR...Military...other Topics

I wanted all these 'thinking about leaving the hobby' threads but don't get the same buzz anymore...with 'What's your current collecting state of mind?' I was most blown away and it wasn't as useless as the others.

:goodpost:
:clap:clap:clap:clap
KvKvgU0.gif

Just how I feel haven't seen this threads every week as you say...mod can lock if it that much of a pain in the ass:ignore:

Just how I feel haven't seen this threads every week as you say...mod can lock if it that much of a pain in the ass:ignore:

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get more genuine, thoughtful responses once the "comedians" get done policing the forums and telling people what they should and shouldn't post. I guess they're just having a tough time what with being forced to read and respond to threads they don't approve of.

What's that? They're not forced to read and respond to them? Gee, you'd think they'd just **** off and get on with their lives then. Oh well. :dunno

That .gif is sublime.

My two cents: Hot Toys overprices their figures, produces a ton of each, and saturates their catalog with so many versions of the same current characters that we don't get "classics" as frequently as we used to. Like Johnny Utah said, Ripley and Matrix are fantastic. They break the monotony. I certainly don't buy as many HT figures as I once did, partly due to wanting to focus my collection, but also because the characters that really mean something to me come along maybe twice a year now.

I'll tell you one thing. Focusing the lines you collect boosts enthusiasm quite a bit. Set parameters. What would you really like to consistently see with your collection? Varying scales (if you want) helps too. Have a mental image of how you want to organize what you have and how it looks.
If you buy nearly every release from every franchise, your collection will lack structure and your shipments will become more predictable. Once the novelty of ordering every single Hot Toys figure (because when you started, it was like "OMG HOT TOYS") wears off, you realize just how little sense that approach makes in the long run.

Again, just my two cents. More power to people who buy loads of 1/6 and fill their detolfs to the top. I'm simply discussing what works for me.

Marry me!! :) :) :)

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get more genuine, thoughtful responses once the "comedians" get done policing the forums and telling people what they should and shouldn't post. I guess they're just having a tough time what with being forced to read and respond to threads they don't approve of.

What's that? They're not forced to read and respond to them? Gee, you'd think they'd just **** off and get on with their lives then. Oh well. :dunno
:goodpost: :exactly: :clap :clap

I hate the inter webs police.

What has given me more satisfaction collecting has been involving my 8 year old daughter; I feed off her enthusiasm and her budding interest in things. This makes me feel like an eight year old and not the 40+ person that I am.

I know the feeling. If I don't produce some photostories soon I'm going to give up collecting.

That .gif is sublime.

My two cents: Hot Toys overprices their figures, produces a ton of each, and saturates their catalog with so many versions of the same current characters that we don't get "classics" as frequently as we used to. Like Johnny Utah said, Ripley and Matrix are fantastic. They break the monotony. I certainly don't buy as many HT figures as I once did, partly due to wanting to focus my collection, but also because the characters that really mean something to me come along maybe twice a year now.

I'll tell you one thing. Focusing the lines you collect boosts enthusiasm quite a bit. Set parameters. What would you really like to consistently see with your collection? Varying scales (if you want) helps too. Have a mental image of how you want to organize what you have and how it looks.
If you buy nearly every release from every franchise, your collection will lack structure and your shipments will become more predictable. Once the novelty of ordering every single Hot Toys figure (because when you started, it was like "OMG HOT TOYS") wears off, you realize just how little sense that approach makes in the long run.

Again, just my two cents. More power to people who buy loads of 1/6 and fill their detolfs to the top. I'm simply discussing what works for me.

I think that sums it up. When you are buying everything nothing is special.

Buy less box sets and start kitbasing or customizing. I buy box sets, but frankly, I find it more fun to make my own; its a lot more involving, and may be just as expensive as some of the box sets in the long run, but you end up with something no one else has.

I collect very few 1/6 figures per year and the WOW factor has already gone. Don't get me wrong the figures are fantastic with amazing etc etc etc. I don't think its HT's but rather the scale (1/6). I guess I am used to it now. I know this because when I started collecting 1/6 about 6-7 years ago (coming from a 7" background) I was amazed by Mattel's Ghostbusters (Winston), Bib Fortuna, Kit Fisto, Mace Windu (these were all my first). I was completely amazed.

I've grown out of 1/6 figure collecting. No matter how well-made they are, I seem to be underwhelmed with every new one I get.

I'm interested to see if I have the same thoughts of the new 1/4 figures.

It's not just you. Many people experience this during a long relationship.

Sounds like you need to spice up your sixth life.

Maybe a little foreplay before diving in and opening them up? Try caressing the box for a while to get you in the mood.

Or maybe try doing it in different places round the house? If that fails you could be more daring and do it in public places with the risk of getting caught. :wink1:

:naughty

It's not just you. Many people experience this during a long relationship.

Sounds like you need to spice up your sixth life.

Maybe a little foreplay before diving in and opening them up? Try caressing the box for a while to get you in the mood.

Or maybe try doing it in different places round the house? If that fails you could be more daring and do it in public places with the risk of getting caught. :wink1:

:rotfl

:rotfl:rotfl

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

I've got the same feeling lately, but with upcoming figures, it makes it difficult to quit. I don't know, I guess get one figure once in a great while and only if you absolutely can't pass it up.

Back