Think I'm starting to lose intrest in the hobby....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the feeling. I'm feeling that way at the moment and will limit what I get. I rather spend my money on more movies than collectibles. Even a model or a custom figure I would put together. Way better. I recommend you buy a few each year. I'm still amazed by what I receive but if my old Sideshow Universal Monster wow me more it means I had enough of the same old stuff. Marty is my most wanted for next year along with John Matrix. Not out of the hobby completely but changing my direction and getting my life in check.

same thing happening with me in statue....yea HT/SSC keep rererererelease all the avengers line...till it bleed out i think that makes oyu bored for a while/
in the meantime all other companies producing a Cool and fresh product: damntoys wit h their gangster, ace with Harry potter, Kaustic with Roman, etc2.....and i reward those companies by buying their product. you just have to see what other company can do. :)

I got this year Hot toys

The Wolverine....The Crow...Selina Kyle...Black Widow...Winter Soldier....MOS and Zod...Spiderman....Barney Ross v2. TDW Thor

Almost all of those figures listed are very light on accessories or are from less than stellar movies (MOS, ASM). I think you've spent quite a bit on not a lot, hence the feeling of disappointment. The 2 Art Figures releases helped, as they are much better value for money.

This month, i received the T1 BD T-800 and Enterbay's Leon. Both came with a load of accessories so have far more display options. I have no regrets getting either one, and i suspect, i'll get a lot more enjoyment out of them than all your HT ones. Maybe buying fewer, but more iconic figures is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong I love my collection but Everytime I seem to open a figure I'm less and less enthused...is it just me or do others get the same.

I got this year Hot toys

The Wolverine....The Crow...Selina Kyle...Black Widow...Winter Soldier....MOS and Zod...Spiderman....Barney Ross v2. TDW Thor..Art toys Dredd..Art fig Dolph lundgren.

I wanted all these figs but don't get the same buzz anymore...with Dreed and Dolph I was most blown away by and they are half hot toys price.

Starlord coming in a few weeks and I'm out for a while I think.

Have you been thinking about space problem like where to put all those big boxes, or scratching your head to figure out whether to display them or put them back in the box simply because you couldn't find a space to display them? Have you ever wonder whether you have too much to keep, and couldn't figure out whether to purchase a new furniture that you actually need compared to another toy that you want? Do you feel excited but at the same time troubled everytime a new toy arrives your doorstep?

If the answer is yes, you are simply collecting beyond your means. The hobby is getting too expensive for you both monetary & space, the money you spent on toys bring less & less joy, and eventually if you let it go on, one day on a bad mood you will finally say to yourself:"I HAVE ENOUGH OF THESE!" and decides to quite once-and-for-all.

Not a bad thing though. See it as you finally received enlightenment from God.

It's not just you. Many people experience this during a long relationship.

Sounds like you need to spice up your sixth life.

Maybe a little foreplay before diving in and opening them up? Try caressing the box for a while to get you in the mood.

Or maybe try doing it in different places round the house? If that fails you could be more daring and do it in public places with the risk of getting caught. :wink1:

:rotfl

maybe try opening one up in McDonalds while having your BigMac might give a different feel.

i believe many kids open up their toys in McD after getting their toys because they are so eager to do so. And don't bother about tearing up the boxes, it's fun to do so.

To be fair, I already got bored with the hobby - and I just barely started this year. I was waiting long to enter - and I did so with my very first figure, Caltek MOH Preacher (out of game love). Apart from the difficulty in building it, it was awesome, also bought him a 1/6 Asia Scale Store Diorama - and it's now permanently sitting on my desk.
Then I fell in love with a couple of images on BBCIN, so I bought the Dam Limited 75 Ranger - with Inflames Helgast in the same shipping, 'cause both from China and the price of gettin' both two was cheap, less than one HT release including shipping (and I loved the Killzone game!)

Then I started to figure out what I wanted from my collection, a general theme - Antiheroes and Villains that fascinated me - here come the last MIB Brother Production Collateral - blown away by the clothes and sculpt.

But still, I got bored - long story short, Dam Ranger and Inflames Helgast are still sitting MIB in their shipping box (I only opened them to check, everythin there) - not even opened them on Christmas Holiday. Collateral Vincent is still in his display case, I was enthusiast and got him a watch and a custom holster for the movie look - well, they're sitting on top of the clear box, did not take the time to put them on - what will change?

Maybe I'll need to finish them and to put them each one in a display case? Don't really know, what can make me feel the love and passion again? (I'm not even one year old in this hobby...)

More fun if you add in your own accessories or build a playset/diorama, having a batman doesn't mean you always need to make a Batman diorama, just do what you think is fun.

The hobby has grown way out of control as far as prices go. It's pushed me way out. I just don't see how HT can justify selling a bank robber joker for $250 when they sold pretty much the exact same figure years earlier for like $120. And then on top of it all, people get on the board and swear its worth it because HT cracked the whip harder at their workers to make a better fit on the suit. I don't care what anybody has to say about it, HT is raping us while everybody knows it and makes justifications.

The hobby has grown way out of control as far as prices go. It's pushed me way out. I just don't see how HT can justify selling a bank robber joker for $250 when they sold pretty much the exact same figure years earlier for like $120. And then on top of it all, people get on the board and swear its worth it because HT cracked the whip harder at their workers to make a better fit on the suit. I don't care what anybody has to say about it, HT is raping us while everybody knows it and makes justifications.

if you realize your products can be resold at twice the initial retail price the moment it steps out of the factory, won't you try to capitalize the extra profit instead of letting resellers profit outrageously out of them? better them ripping off their loyal customers than some 3rd party reseller right?

also don't forget inflation, increase in raw materials, and also annual increments on the key personnels. they aren't cheap and there's a few companies waiting to give them a better offer as the market grows.

also the increase competitiveness in the market means they have to produce better quality products which in turn adds extra cost to the products.

Companies know how much people are willing to chuck out for their products, so they try to maximize their profit. This is how Capitalism works and i see no problem with it as long as my set of tires are still selling at $90 each.

Some figures come along like NECA's Queen that suck you right in, and are an instant update of something nostalgic from your childhood. John Matrix is another great example. I just want HT to capitalize on that and make more Schwarzenegger.

...that, plus the fact that the BRJ 2.0 masked sculpt is a beauty to behold.

Double rewards and a $50 coupon burning a hole in my wallet made that figure acceptable.

I believe all these prices take into account the fact that buyers will be employing monthly codes and other incentives.

Also some buyers switched to a healthier lifestyle by cutting on the booze & weed to fund these high end action figures.

Lol@ Lejuan and Kuat. Harsh, but LOL.

The best thing that I get out of this hobby now is modification and customization. Weathering, slight re-sculpting, fixing bodies, and building dioramas are fun and is a creative outlet for me. Another thing is, like someone already said, when you're buying every old Hot Toys doll that comes out (mostly from mediocre modern blockbusters) you're bound to get bored. It must have some sort of deep nostalgic, or emotional attachment for me to even consider it. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman 89 , T2, WWII. Thats where its at. Hawkeye (movie), Groot and Falcon dolls??? Nah. :lol

Just saw there was similar thread since my post was moved generally don't venture far from marvel and dc threads....feel free to lock mods.

Just saw there was similar thread since my post was moved generally don't venture far from marvel and dc threads....feel free to lock mods.

:lol people are enjoying the thread. I'm sure you'll rediscover your joy for the hobby, but if not, you'll always have your current figures to enjoy. Or sell for a bunch of cash you can put towards something new :duff

I guess it depends on your view of the word hobby. I've been collecting 1/6 for about 20 years. Ever since 1/6 came back. First with G.I.Joe then Star Wars. I grew up owning and playing with 1/6 in the sixties. To me it started as nostalgic and even now I associate my collection with things I grew up enjoying. World War II movies, Westerns and action movies. All the things that excited a boy.
And seeing that being translated by today's standards is excited and enjoyable. Doesn't mean I have to own every figure from every movie I like. But I can still enjoy it through other people's collections and taste.
I don't buy a lot of figures now a days. In fact hadn't bought any in a few years until recently. Four years ago I was trying to make a custom Rocketman figure because I grew up watching old black and white reruns. But it necer happened, then recently it's been produced. Imagine my joy and excitement. I just had to own one. And the there's the game Skyrim which I played for years. Someone finally made a custom figure of The Dragonborn, and I just had to have him too. So for me there's no losing interest. Just taking a break from buying and enjoying what I have. Until something comes along that just make you feel, "I just got to have that." Because it makes you feel happy.

Bank Robber Joker was actually $270, and I agree, he's not worth it.

:lol people are enjoying the thread. I'm sure you'll rediscover your joy for the hobby, but if not, you'll always have your current figures to enjoy. Or sell for a bunch of cash you can put towards something new :duff

probably not enough to get a preowned Rolex, maybe a few months rent.

Have you been thinking about space problem like where to put all those big boxes, or scratching your head to figure out whether to display them or put them back in the box simply because you couldn't find a space to display them? Have you ever wonder whether you have too much to keep, and couldn't figure out whether to purchase a new furniture that you actually need compared to another toy that you want? Do you feel excited but at the same time troubled everytime a new toy arrives your doorstep?

If the answer is yes, you are simply collecting beyond your means. The hobby is getting too expensive for you both monetary & space, the money you spent on toys bring less & less joy, and eventually if you let it go on, one day on a bad mood you will finally say to yourself:"I HAVE ENOUGH OF THESE!" and decides to quite once-and-for-all.

Not a bad thing though. See it as you finally received enlightenment from God.

Some good insight until Dafuq?

You should just house clean. If you aren't excited about certain figs, sell em. You also seem to buy a lot which means cash flow isn't a problem. Perhaps you should switch to statues? I started collecting both statues and 1/6th and realized I didn't like 1/6th scale. Plus HT devalues everything with re issues and new versions of every character very often. Statues are just do much more massive and impressive. They are more expensive so you order less but it's way more engaging IMO. And with new studios like XM, the fun and anticipation of just ordering is exciting!!!

Back