Things I Love

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just going to provide the unpopular opinion here: The news media will always be needed, regardless of their apparent political leanings. While YouTubers and various outlets on social media will provide commentary, most of them are not engaged in investigative reporting, and they don't have reporters in the field. They simply don't have the necessary resources to do it. All they do is rehash the legwork that was being done by the major networks, or news publications.

But, that said, what concerns me the most, is fake news. And I don't mean Trumpian term, "Fake News" - which is anything from the MSM that he or his cronies don't agree with, or anything that they'd like to cover up. There was an enormous effort from Russia during the campaign to peddle fake Conservative news sites, many of which were being spread through Facebook.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/russian-propaganda-effort-helped-spread-fake-news-during-election-experts-say/2016/11/24/793903b6-8a40-4ca9-b712-716af66098fe_story.html?utm_term=.aa3c087e256b

As for the relevance of the MSM, I think they'd eventually have to transition away from television and make a major effort for social media. More people are dropping cable every year. Heck, I hardly even watch my TV anymore, although I do catch a bit of NBC and CBS late in the night.

The investigative reporting hasn't been done by the regular news media in a very long time, those days are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of you guys complaining? Be glad that you're not in those countries like China, Middle East, etc. where censorship is the norm. There is no such thing as perfect. It's up to people to make up their own judgement anyway. And both sides are just as bad. Wait till they'll try to take freedom of the press away. And don't think it'll never happen.

I hate the click bait headlines that they use now. If you read the articles, the headline is usually misleading. So many don't bother reading the article but only react to the headline.

The investigative reporting hasn't been done by the regular news media in a very long time, those days are gone.

Oh, there is. For example, Kurt Eichenwald from Newsweek wrote an article on all of Trump's international business ties, which would present conflicts of interests with his Presidential duties. I don't think most people even know about it...

Some of you guys complaining? Be glad that you're not in those countries like China, Middle East, etc. where censorship is the norm. There is no such thing as perfect. It's up to people to make up their own judgement anyway. And both sides are just as bad. Wait till they'll try to take freedom of the press away. And don't think it'll never happen.

Agreed. All of the networks have have their flaws, but it's partly the duty of the national news outlets to hold politicians accountable, by keeping the citizenry informed of any issues. And to touch on your point, if someone dares to cover story that's viewed as "anti-government" in any of the countries that you've mentioned, they'd either be imprisoned or killed. Even South Asian countries like Malaysia and Indonesia are known for their harsh sedition laws. That said, it's pretty terrifying, the lengths that the Trump administration has gone to demonize and ostracize reporters who aren't dancing to their tune. A lot of people seem to like find humor in it, as well, which is equally terrifying. Overall, it wouldn't take much to upend a democracy.

Oh, there is. For example, Kurt Eichenwald from Newsweek wrote an article on all of Trump's international business ties, which would present conflicts of interests with his Presidential duties. I don't think most people even know about it...

Agreed. All of the networks have have their flaws, but it's partly the duty of the national news outlets to hold politicians accountable, by keeping the citizenry informed of any issues. And to touch on your point, if someone dares to cover story that's viewed as "anti-government" in any of the countries that you've mentioned, they'd either be imprisoned or killed. Even South Asian countries like Malaysia and Indonesia are known for their harsh sedition laws. That said, it's pretty terrifying, the lengths that the Trump administration has gone to demonize and ostracize reporters who aren't dancing to their tune. A lot of people seem to like find humor in it, as well, which is equally terrifying. Overall, it wouldn't take much to upend a democracy.

The twitter epilepsy guy? That guy is an absolute fruitcake. I wouldn't trust that guy to tell me how to use the bathroom properly.

Yeah, well, I'm not one to judge on that. Epileptic episodes happen. I had a cousin who had a seizure watching something on Cartoon Network years back :dunno.

That's no reason to shun his reporting.

I think the problem is the bias in some of the media.
The scandalous headlines ( like ween said) the half truths.
The information manipulation. Sometimes they dont tell the whole story, sometimes they leave out stuff. Sometimes they dont show both sides. When news has a bias and an agenda then you cannot take them seriously because they are not trying to report but they are trying to manipulate.

It is really hard to watch or read news that dont have an angle anymore. Getting the full facts is becoming harder.
There's a short video on FB of Bill Clinton talking about how there are too many illegal immigrants and he was going to do something about it. He got cheered. Obama said much the same thing and the Dems loved him. Trump says it and all of a sudden he a racist and fascis. And the media wonders why we don't take them serious.

Weird, an old schoolmate of mine that I still see every now and then could be a white Denzel Washington...something about his facial mannerisms, the bit where he smiles and says 'yeah, yeah, yeah' in particular struck me....

Everyone file this piece of information for future reference. Thank you.

^:lol very good

The dream I had during my nap. Some local kids that annoy the **** out of me in real life were causing mayhem in some apartment complex that was also a shopping mall because my subconscious brain likes to splice things in that way. Not only were these kids destroying the place they were also attacking people with rocks and causing severe harm - I myself sustained an impact to the head but was able to brush it off because it was my dream.

Their numbers were overwhelming and the odds were against me - for most of the dream I was on the retreat (the recurring chase theme). Due to their large Gremlin-like threat level however I felt warranted in using extreme force and was able to dispatch a few of the ****ers by picking them up and throwing them over stairwells, watching them bounce off the banisters as they fell. So that was cathartic.

Last edited:
All the coverage the 40th anniversary of SlapShot is getting. Greatest sports movie of all time

Back