Thesis: "Temple Of Doom" is over-hated and under-appreciated

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arguably Harrison Ford's best performance of the character too.

I don't like the character as much in that movie. I'm not saying I dislike him, just not as much as the other 2. One of the things I love about Indy in RoLA and TLC is that he searches for artifacts for archeology's sake, as opposed to "fortune and glory" as in ToD. I especially like in TLC when even as a young kid they show he's only interested in placing those things in a museum.

I don't like the character as much in that movie. I'm not saying I dislike him, just not as much as the other 2. One of the things I love about Indy in RoLA and TLC is that he searches for artifacts for archeology's sake, as opposed to "fortune and glory" as in ToD. I especially like in TLC when even as a young kid they show he's only interested in placing those things in a museum.

While I don't completely agree with you, I see your point.

I feel that he's still quite the archaeologist in that he realizes that these stones are in fact real. But I think he doesn't realize how knee-deep into it he is until he's there. It is fortune and glory, but also a great find... something that has not been seen in 100 years.

But it's also a heroe's journey in saving this village.

Since TOD was a prequel, the events in that movie made him change focus from "fortune and glory".

Since TOD was a prequel, the events in that movie made him change focus from "fortune and glory".

Way to go Evil! I was just going to post that. Although I must admit that I never knew TOD was a prequel until about a year ago. It has since made much more sense.

I never knew it was supposed to be a prequel... wow, that really just blew my mind?!?

Man, I need to rewatch that again... I fell like a dolt.

I've turned in my card and will be canceling Indy... well not really.

I have to admit in all honesty while I do like TOD, I haven't watched it much in the last 10 or 15 years. I just always wanted to watch Raiders.

Just finished watching ToD (as I go through all of my movie collection with my new Christmas surround system) and I have to say that I still love it!

Yes, the character of Willie is annoying, but the nice mixture of humour with action is a wonderful bablance and it stands on its own from Raiders unlike many sequels/prequels.

Love Mola Ram, the giant Thuggee who fights Indy and gets pulled in to be squished (with Indy in that final moment trying to save a man who was trying to do just that to him-- also when Indy's pounding on the quy's head while Short Round in the background pounds on the royal kid--awesome visual), 1love Indy pausing as he has the stones hearing the cries of the children and then after saving Willie and getting the stones saying "we're leaving... all of us..." The image of him standing there in the mine and then the first thuggee flying back after the hit is great cinema. Yes, the effects are outdated but the story, characters (for the most part), action, humour, and overall look make it a great film and definitely not one to be ignored (in my humble opinion).

Would love in the 1/6 line:

1) Indy (ripped shirt, beat up, whip marks, three stones...etc)
2) Mola Ram (who are we kidding? he's a great villain)
3) the big Thuggee that Indy fights (use a Richard Kiel 14" Buck body if need be)
4) a Short Round (kid grows on you--sure Data from GOONIES is perhaps better but at least the character isn't annoying like Jake Lloyd's Anakin and the character has both a key role to play in the story and has some strong emotional moments "I love you Indy. You're my best friend.")

All in all ToD is definitely over-hated. Now on to watching The Last Crusade whil my little one has her afternoon nap. Can't wait for May 22nd.:D

You all know that theirs a good possiblity we may yet get another Indy movie besides Crystal Skull? Steven is on record saying he very much enjoyed Frank Darabont's script and even George didn't discount it completely. He just didn't want it to be the story for this movie. If Crystal Skull does well, do you really think Lucas, Spielberg and Ford will turn down the opportunity to do another one? I mean sure this one took forever to happen but it did. Once they get the ball rolling and the money flows in, it'll be "just another day at the office."

You know, even though TOD is a prequel, I can't bring myself to watch them in that order. I have to watch Raiders first. Several of the gags from TOD build off gags from Raiders. And Raiders better established the iconic character of Jones and what he does before he gets saddled with secondary characters (albeit great ones.)

If you're watching these movies for the first time, with no knowledge of who Indy is, and you see TOD first, then the entire first 15 minutes of them movies makes you think the whole saga is going to be just a bad Bond rip-off.

Now, having said that, I love TOD. I had trouble watching it as a kid, and visually it's a bit more cramped than the other two films. It feels like Indy descends into hell in that movie. But that's really the idea, I think. But the set pieces, the gags, the characters, and Indy himself all make it imminently watchable.

I'm down for a Mola Ram 12". Alternate heads, flaming heart, grasping hand for "Kali Mah! Kali mah! Shutidae!!", and perhaps an exclusive platter of chilled monkey brains!

You know, even though TOD is a prequel, I can't bring myself to watch them in that order. I have to watch Raiders first. Several of the gags from TOD build off gags from Raiders. And Raiders better established the iconic character of Jones and what he does before he gets saddled with secondary characters (albeit great ones.)

If you're watching these movies for the first time, with no knowledge of who Indy is, and you see TOD first, then the entire first 15 minutes of them movies makes you think the whole saga is going to be just a bad Bond rip-off.

Now, having said that, I love TOD. I had trouble watching it as a kid, and visually it's a bit more cramped than the other two films. It feels like Indy descends into hell in that movie. But that's really the idea, I think. But the set pieces, the gags, the characters, and Indy himself all make it imminently watchable.

I'm down for a Mola Ram 12". Alternate heads, flaming heart, grasping hand for "Kali Mah! Kali mah! Shutidae!!", and perhaps an exclusive platter of chilled monkey brains!

Awesome writeup Mikey! And I agree with you there. I have known of the "order" of the films, time wise, for a long time. But I still watch them in the order they were filmed. I just see it as Raiders being your introduction to the character, and TOD is a cool story that shows how he ended up being that kind of person.

I was young when Temple came out, but it was the first one I watched and remembered. And for the longest time, was my favorite. I still love Raiders the most, it's probably my favorite film of all time, but Temple is right up there with it. The character journey, set pieces, gags and Mola Ram seal the deal with me. From that moment on I was HOOKED on Indy. :rock

I am down for 12 inch figures from that film, most of all. I think I actually look forward to figures of Mola Ram and Short round more than some of the Raiders characters.

raiders was the best of the trilogy with tod and tlc coming in around even, both not as good as the first. i suppose tcs will be more along the lines of tod and tlc.

for those loving tod..is there any scene gayer than the indian children coming out of the hills back to there families? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: or kate capshaw fainting at dinner?

What the hell is your problem exactly? How is it, um, 'gay' exactly? Are you ****ting me? Sounds like you're just trolling... Seriously trolling. You don't have to like it but... do those scenes you mentioned make you embarrassed or ...what?

Personally I love Temple of Doom. The Club Obi-Wan stuff at the beginning is great! Everything else.. well I love it.

Temple of Doom was the first Indiana Jones movie that I saw when I was a kid. Watched it during a weekly activity run by the town's youth activity committee that particular summer. I was only 7 but I was hooked on Indiana Jones after that point.

I remember going home and telling my parents how great that movie was. I actually made it a task to try to find Indiana Jones merchandise that summer but only came home with a Temple of Doom lunchbox and matching thermos. I was so cool going to school back in the day, a couple of the other kids thought it was the coolest thing...I was so proud of that lunchbox.

Anyways, to this day...Temple of Doom stands with me the most, followed by Raiders, and then Crusade.

How can you not love any movie that features this moment?:

aa01b783eaa2d549d3b425edfccc8b0c.gif

Back