Thesis: "Temple Of Doom" is over-hated and under-appreciated

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THANK YOU. I've always felt the same way, 100% the same way. I think RAIDERS is the best of the films, a 5-star adventure film that was referred to by a critic as "An A-quality B-film that pays homage to teh Z-grade serials of the 30s through the 50s".

That being said, those old serials were lurid, over-the-top, gruesome, and sensationalistic, but with heart, harm, and a sense of fun.

TEMPLE OF DOOM is pretty much summed up by all those adjectives.

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

THANK YOU. I've always felt the same way, 100% the same way. I think RAIDERS is the best of the films, a 5-star adventure film that was referred to by a critic as "An A-quality B-film that pays homage to the Z-grade serials of the 30s through the 50s".

That being said, those old serials were lurid, over-the-top, gruesome, and sensationalistic, but with heart, charm, and a sense of fun.

TEMPLE OF DOOM is pretty much summed up by all those adjectives.

I love RAIDERS the most; that's a personal opinion. I think that RAIDERS is also the best of the three on a critical level. TOD isn't quite the film that RAIDERS is (neither is LAST CRUSADE), but it doesn't deserve the animosity it gets. You folks have listed many of the great and fun Indy bits that are some of the most fun of the funs.

The Spike Chamber is pure Indy, and you could show a newbie that scene, and they'd get a pretty solid idea about who and what this guy is all about.

The Mine Car Chase is still one of Indy's best action set-pieces!

That paragraph.... brought a tear to my eye...:monkey2

Perfectly spoken. That film was an amazing ride and as crazy as it should have been. I love every second of that film and always will. :rock2

Also, there may not be a shot in the history of cinema more bad ass than the one of Indy standing tall after punching a Thugee across the gravel just before he, Short Round and Willie begin freeing the slave children. And it comes with the requisite John Williams music that inspires you to want to pummel a cultist yourself. :rock :rock :rock

Speaking of music. I hope they do some kind of 4 cd soundtrack set when the new movie comes out.

Speaking of music. I hope they do some kind of 4 cd soundtrack set when the new movie comes out.

You're right. They do need to re-release the original scores, especially TOD and LC which haven't been in print for years (there was a very good 2-disc RAIDERS remaster a few years back).

Wow, y'all are making me want to go watch Temple of Doom now. It is my least favorite of the three. I like everything about it up until the very end. I really like the elements of Indian mythology and such, but the mind control, and the brainwashed boy king, and the pulling out hearts loses me. For some reason I find that harder to believe than the Ark destroying all the Nazis and the holy grail healing someone. But I really do like how different it is and I personally hope that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is more like it, the title puts me in mind that it will be.

I'm sure that people will disagree with me, but these are my reasons for thinking that ToD is the least of the trilogy:

• No Nazis nor Marcus nor Sallah. Great characters that I love and love to hate.
  • No christian religion mythos. RoTLA and TLC deal with acts of God and the supernatural; which to me is quite interesting. ToD dealt with glowing rocks and a guy who rips hearts out of people (doesn't quite hold up in my book)

BUT, reasons why I still like the movie:
  • John Williams...pretty much anything done by him is gold IMO
  • Shorty. Wish we got to see him again. Putting an adult shorty is KotCS would have been a great little cameo IMO
  • Indy/Willie banter throughout the entire movie. While the story wasn't that great, the dialogue and interactions were great
  • Voodoo was cool, but doesn't beat the holy grail or lost ark

Overall, all three movies are great, just in their seperate ways

You're right. They do need to re-release the original scores, especially TOD and LC which haven't been in print for years (there was a very good 2-disc RAIDERS remaster a few years back).

Really? I didn't see that when looking through Amazon's list of stuff the other day. Was hoping I might find a PO for something but not as of yet.

Raiders is my favorite and I wish I could be certain if it was the original feel of when it first came out, the quality of the film or the sentimentality of seeing it in the theater with my dad.
I was fourteen and it was one of the last movies I went to see with him since I was a stupid kid and didn't realize how great it was to hang with the old man.
It was also really cool that it was set during WWII that he fought in.

I only got a chance to see one of the first three in theaters and that was LC. The other two Raiders (81-year I was born) and TOD (84-was 3) I was a touch young to see.

I don't hate TOD...(first ever Indy abrieviation!!!)

It's just my least favorite...

It's still absolutely great though...

Raiders is my favorite and I wish I could be certain if it was the original feel of when it first came out, the quality of the film or the sentimentality of seeing it in the theater with my dad.
I was fourteen and it was one of the last movies I went to see with him since I was a stupid kid and didn't realize how great it was to hang with the old man.
It was also really cool that it was set during WWII that he fought in.

Anzik I know what you mean. I seen Return of the Jedi with my dad. It was the first movie I can ever remember seeing with him and I was only 4. That is why that movie is my all time favorites. :cool:

This is an interesting thread... I always figured people like Crusade least since that was my least favorite.

TOD is definitely a campier, more over-the-top film... but it is just a lot of fun. And who doesn't like a guy getting his heart ripped out of his chest?!?

When I was younger Temple was my favorite, partly because in the late 80's it was on all the time on HBO and like USA. Also, it reminded me a lot of Duck Tales. As a matter of fact the whole Indy series bears some similarities to the old Scrooge McDuck comics but that is why I think I love them so much.
Once I got into High School I was able to watch Raiders and Last Crusade more and for some reason they appealed more to me than Temple. Looking back on it I think the reason why I like Raiders and Last Crusade more is because there was more at stake. Indy was trying to save the world from the Nazis while in Temple he was looking for fame and fortune and ended up learning that there is more.
I think all 3 movies have their place, Temple is a prequel to Raiders so even though Temple is a more compact story you can see the maturity of Indy from Temple to Raiders and finally the "conclusion" in Last Crusade. They all serve a purpose, hopefully the new one will continue the Lucas/Spielberg magic.

Raiders was for me the perfect Indy movie. He was driven enough by the artifact that he was willing to die or kill for it. In "Temple" it was as if he just fell into the search and it wasn't his motive at all but a side quest. Then in Last Crusade it was back to something he actually had a connection to, for the search. I like Temple but it, and crusade just don't have the feel of ruthlessness or importance for obtaining for the prize that Raiders had

I think Temple of Doom gets grief because we expected an Empire Strikes Back type of sequel -- one that expanded the story, opened up the world and let us see the characters in a new way. Instead we got a pop-corn movie. As such, I think it holds up better than Last Crusade. But neither sequel holds a candle to the original. Raiders is film history.

The thing about Temple of Doom that I didn't see mentioned in the thread is that it's a prequel to Raiders, set in 1935, while Raiders is set a year later, so Indy's sense of purpose may be different than that of what viewers were used to seeing in Raiders.

I personally loved Temple of Doom because of it being a prequel, and it's extremely dark nature. I think many viewers were turned off by TOD because they expected it to be more like Raiders, and perhaps black magic and enslaved and tortured children were a bit shocking for such a film for the time.

I personally loved Temple of Doom because of it being a prequel, and it's extremely dark nature. I think many viewers were turned off by TOD because they expected it to be more like Raiders, and perhaps black magic and enslaved and tortured children were a bit shocking for such a film for the time.

I think it's interesting that TOD was so dark because Lucas came up with the story and it went it to production when his wife left him for the young Ranch hand and filed for Divorce. I'd say it was easy for him to be in a pretty dark place at the time.

Back