The Witcher netflix series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zach McGowan would be great as Geralt in my opinion. He's got the look, the voice and the attitude.

Oh, Lord. What in the world does Kennedy/Star Wars have to do with this? Is Kennedy some magical representation of all women in the industry, or is she ONE person?

You want me to go down the list of awful male showrunners/producers/directors? Because let me tell you, that is one long list. But you'd never hear me griping about a showrunner simply because of what's between his legs.

I just don't care for women having to strong arm their way into a male dominated franchise. Leia was a great character, but her character didn't shove women's rights down our throat. Some women like to come in and overcompensate women's roles and have to show women overpowering men. I prefer it when the character is written as a character and I don't have to listen to the whiny SJW garbage, like the viewer did something wrong to them.

I'd have more respect if women came up with something unique and not have to take over....oh let's see...Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Star Trek, Ocean's 11, going to be Marvel soon and hopefully not Witcher.

I just don't care for women having to strong arm their way into a male dominated franchise. Leia was a great character, but her character didn't shove women's rights down our throat. Some women like to come in and overcompensate women's roles and have to show women overpowering men. I prefer it when the character is written as a character and I don't have to listen to the whiny SJW garbage, like the viewer did something wrong to them.

I'd have more respect if women came up with something unique and not have to take over....oh let's see...Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Star Trek, Ocean's 11, going to be Marvel soon and hopefully not Witcher.

Good grief.

Have you even read The Witcher books? Because if you did, and you're under the impression that those books don't already feature women 'overpowering' men, or that that they don't promote women's rights, then you missed what Sapkowski was saying and read them wrong. The Witcher series has always been refreshingly and surprisingly progressive, especially in that genre, and in a saga that began in the 80s.

Perhaps The Witcher is not for you.

Good grief.

Have you even read The Witcher books? Because if you did, and you're under the impression that those books don't already feature women 'overpowering' men, or that that they don't promote women's rights, then you missed what Sapkowski was saying and read them wrong. The Witcher series has always been refreshingly and surprisingly progressive, especially in that genre, and in a saga that began in the 80s.

Perhaps The Witcher is not for you.

I played the amazing Witcher 3. We were discussing women filmmakers and in the game I never felt like I was forced into SJW, just well written characters. Women filmmaker could change that, but like anything, just have to wait and see.

Good grief.

I hope they dont screw it up is all...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I am sorry but you're post is not clear, are women not allowed to be directors, producers, or in charge of anything unless its a completely new IP???

I am sorry but you're post is not clear, are women not allowed to be directors, producers, or in charge of anything unless its a completely new IP???

Hee hee....alot of folks feel that way.

Woman should make babies and stay in the kitchen. Although you will never get them to admit that.

Gale Hurd is responsible from some of the best Sci Fi we have had.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Have you even read The Witcher books? Because if you're under the impression that those books don't already feature women 'overpowering' men, or that that they don't promote women's rights, then you missed what Sapkowski was saying and read them wrong. The Witcher series has always been refreshingly and surprisingly progressive, especially in that genre, and in a saga that began in the 80s.
You didn't read those books the right way either tho. Sapkowski writes what sells, with a sense of realism AND irony. He doesn't give a **** about feminism, strong women and all that nonsense.

I played the amazing Witcher 3.
They're just games tho. There's very little subtlety in them.

Jump the gun and assume the worst!

Kathyrn Bigelow is awesome! Point Break! But even as female focused as Kathleen Kennedy is...why didn't she hire female directors or writers? Hmm.

:violin

Enlighten us - in what specific situation(s) is a female showrunner acceptable for you?

I played the amazing Witcher 3. We were discussing women filmmakers and in the game I never felt like I was forced into SJW, just well written characters. Women filmmaker could change that, but like anything, just have to wait and see.

Good grief.

Yeah, but the show is based on the books...

You didn't read those books the right way either tho. Sapkowski writes what sells, with a sense of realism AND irony. He doesn't give a **** about feminism, strong women and all that nonsense.

I never said he did give a **** about feminism. I doubt he'd ever consider himself a feminist, but that's not the point. He writes fully realised, strong, and empowered women, without necessarily pushing a feminist agenda (not that there's actually anything wrong with that.)

Yeah, but the show is based on the books...

Ever play the game? I'd say the setting, tone and characters were pretty well laid out in 100 hours gameplay.

I never said he did give a **** about feminism. I doubt he'd ever consider himself a feminist, but that's not the point. He writes fully realised, strong, and empowered women, without necessarily pushing a feminist agenda (not that there's actually anything wrong with that.)

Pushing a feminist agenda in a non-feminist focused medium is wrong.

:violin

Enlighten us - in what specific situation(s) is a female showrunner acceptable for you?

One where she doesn't have an ax to grind in regards to men. Just create unique and entertaining story-telling EVERYONE can enjoy. I don't need to get feminism, politics, etc. that relate to our current state of affairs. Enjoy the enlightenment!

Ever play the game? I'd say the setting, tone and characters were pretty well laid out in 100 hours gameplay.

One where she doesn't have an ax to grind in regards to men. Just create unique and entertaining story-telling EVERYONE can enjoy. I don't need to get feminism, politics, etc. that relate to our current state of affairs. Enjoy the enlightenment!

:lol :lol :lol

Oh man, good times. God bless this forum.

Yeah of course. The Witcher 3 is an incredibly respectful adaptation of Sapkowski's world and lore, absolutely. I do think it misses the mark on some of the characters, a little bit, but not much. But I mean, the point I'm getting at is that this show is adapting and set during the events of the books. The game is not an appropriate source for what you think the Witcher should be, because they're not adapting from that.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

I bet $10 it's gonna be a pretty loose adaptation.

I don't think it's going to be a slave to the original, but I doubt it'll diverge too much. It's a hard thing to adapt, I reckon, because the first two books are just short stories with no arc which doesn't work for the TV format at all, and then the series proper starts with the assumption the audience has read those short stories, so the characters and relationships are all set up. I guess it'll just kind of start around the middle somewhere and feature flashbacks. The published character descriptions offer a few insights.

But anyway, you only need to skim Lauren Hissrich's Twitter to see how respectfully they're treating the source material.

I don't think it's going to be a slave to the original, but I doubt it'll diverge too much. It's a hard thing to adapt, I reckon, because the first two books are just short stories with no arc which doesn't work for the TV format at all, and then the series proper starts with the assumption the audience has read those short stories, so the characters and relationships are all set up. I guess it'll just kind of start around the middle somewhere and feature flashbacks. The published character descriptions offer a few insights.

But anyway, you only need to skim Lauren Hissrich's Twitter to see how respectfully they're treating the source material.

Looked at her Twitter feed. Geeze! Not gonna go through that series of novels!

:lol :lol :lol

Oh man, good times. God bless this forum.

Good way to end on a one-sided discussion.

you only need to skim Lauren Hissrich's Twitter
Mmm...

Urb1wmT.jpg

*sigh* Couldn't be less excited for the show after reading this.

Mmm...

Urb1wmT.jpg

*sigh* Couldn't be less excited for the show after reading this.

Ha, righto. Seems like you're already determined not to enjoy it, which is totally cool if you're into the whole self fulfilling prophecy thing.

Also, The Witcher IS incredibly political. If you think those books aren't a cautionary commentary on colonisation, immigration, and xenophobia, then you've missed the point entirely.

Back