The Witcher netflix series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First description: https://www.netflix.com/gr/title/80189685

young-pope-advice.gif

I will say I am both heavily excited and nervous about this. If they do it right and get the casting, budget, direction, and tone right then it could be a smash hit as big as GOT.

Being a massive fan of the games while liking the books, I don't know how I would feel about live actors playing these characters I love and not hearing the superb familiar voices.

I think the perfect foundation for an adaptation has already been done. See the below trailer.

Link doesn't work for me. What does it say?

I really hope that this series turn out to be good. I love the Witcher games and books. A lot is gonna depend on the casting IMO.

The original was about a "dysfunctional family" or something. They've changed it since:

The witcher Geralt, a mutated monster hunter, struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked than beasts.

I wouldnt mind them just doing the series in good quality CGI like the cinematic trailers from the game, and keep the voice cast from the games as well. That cast is just so perfect for 99% of the characters.

Live action would have issues with people bitching about casting, quality of the special effects and/or looking too much like Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings.

This series just needs to do what it can to stand on it's own and be Witcher and nothing else. I personally feel that going to CGI route would help with that.

besides, who would they cast as Geralt and company and everyone would be happy with it?

Updates!

Lauren Hissrich has turned in the pilot script to Netflix, and also tweeted character descriptions confirming who will appear in the series!

GERALT IS:
Stoic.
Circumspect.
Balanced.
Fierce.
Soft-and-squishy-in-a-tiny-place-in-his-heart-that-he'll-never-reveal-until-maybe-the-end-and-even-then-it-will-just-be-a-hint

YENNEFER IS:
Fiery.
Proud.
Shrewd.
Contradictory.
Seeking-to-fill-a-family-sized-hole-in-her-heart-even-though-she-resents-it-and-swears-she's-just-fine-on-her-own-but-she-is-not-and-we-love-her-for-being-both-independent-and-vulnerable.

CIRI IS:
Resilient.
Relentless.
Brazen.
Growing.
She's-going-to-change-the-world-and-what-the-hell-is-she-supposed-to-do-except-be-scared-and-be-bold-and-learn-and-adapt-and-find-a-family-who-can-walk-by-her-side-no-matter-what-and-maybe-just-maybe-teach-her-the-meaning-of-love.

ROACH IS:
Ladylike.
Faithful.
Extrasensory.
Steady.
Really-annoyed-with-this-game-because-we-can’t-pretend-all-Roaches-are-the-same-so-she’d-prefer-some-singularity-and-individual-recognition-instead-of-all-being-lumped-together-by-blatantly-horsist-people.

JASKIER (!) IS:
Extravagant.
Caddish.
Loose-lipped.
Loyal.
Hides-behind-the-exterior-of-an-idiot-when-in-actuality-he-is-the-keeper-of-Geralt’s-realities-(even-if-he-exaggerates-his-own-heroics)-AND-the-truths-of-the-world-which-means-he’s-far-more-important-than-we-realize...

TRISS MERIGOLD IS:
Spunky.
Idealistic.
Insecure.
Conflicted.
Young-and-naive-and-lacking-the-confidence-of-sorceresses-which-means-she-is-ripe-for-manipulation-but-when-she-finally-transcends-the-crap-she-has-a-chance-to-be-loved-as-herself-and-not-as-"the-third-wheel-with-Yen"

CAHIR IS:
Conflicted.
Charismatic.
Haunted.
Pure of heart.
Despite-being-young-he's-like-a-relic-of-a-simpler-time-when-knights-in-shining-armor-always-won-the-girl-but-now-in-the-face-of-harsh-reality-he-must-learn-what-it-means-to-actually-be-heroic-and-brave-for-others.

REGIS IS:
Eloquent.
Ensconced.
Worldly.
Haunted.
The-worst-of-the-worst-who-transforms-into-the-best-of-the-best-or-at-least-he-strives-to-be-and-it's-the-most-incredible-journey-to-watch-as-an-evil-addicted-monster-becomes-the-essence-of-"humanity-personified"-in-the-hansa.

VILGEFORTZ IS:
Mercenary.
Conspiratorial.
Power-hungry.
Ruthless.
Handsome-as-all-get-out-which-is-important-because-(as-Geralt-says-“one-could-expect-anything-from-a-man-looking-like-this”)-he-is-the-essence-of-evil-hidden-behind-beauty-which-makes-him-very-very-dangerous.

EMHYR IS:
Imperialistic.
Ruthless.
Monarchical.
Masquerader.
Above-all-he's-a-survivor-having-spent-most-his-life-running-and-pretending-so-it's-no-wonder-he-craves-power-because-what's-more-stable-than-being-on-top-(and-what's-better-than-a-villain-whose-head-you-kinda-get.)

MILVA IS:
Saucy.
Savage.
Conciliatory.
Commonsense.
The-epitome-of-the-novels'-shades-of-grey-who-embodies-unrequited-romance-and-also-unbelievable-strength-and-also-the-skills-to-kill-and-also-the-ability-to-crusade-for-peace-and-also-and-also-and-also.

LEO BONHART IS:
Sadistic.
Ghoulish.
Ruthlessly efficient.
Hedonistic.
His-depth-lies-in-his-lack-of-depth-because-we-keep-searching-for-reason-or-redemption-and-in-fact-there-is-none-just-a-cold-brutal-soul-who-desires-to-be-colder-and-what's-more-terrifying-than-that?

BORCH THREE JACKDAWS/VILLENTRETENMERTH IS:
Perceptive.
Protective.
Merciful.
The most beautiful.
An-observer/-philosopher/-seeker-of-freedom-which-means-he-didn't-kill-just-because-he-could-but-rather-sought-to-understand-why-others-wanted-to-kill-him-which-is-EVERYTHING.

ANGOULÊME IS:
Sharp.
(Anything but) Simple.
A phoenix from the flames.
The missing piece.
Determined-to-survive-the-****-despite-never-being-given-the-tools-to-do-so-and-found-a-family-where-she-least-expected-but-also-found-what-it-meant-to-be-loyal-to-someone-other-than-herself

YARPEN ZIGRIN IS:
Fiesty.
Fierce.
Wise.
A diplomat of the highest order.
His-gruff-demeanor-and-crude-language-belies-an-intelligent-soul-who-has-his-finger-on-the-pulse-of-the-Continent's-complicated-landscape-and-who's-well-on-his-way-to-a-life-in-politics-VOTE-FOR-YARPEN!

ESSI DAVEN IS:
Gutsy.
Astute.
Romantic.
Tragic.
Little-Eye's-role-is-small-but-her-impact-is-heartwrenchingly-enormous-because-although-he-cares-about-her-deeply-she-is-the-one-who-makes-Geralt-realize-that-anyone-who-is-not-Yen-cannot-fulfill-him-and-then-she...

VESEMIR IS:
Fatherly.
Wise.
Sprightly (despite the fact that he's...)
Ancient.
Historian-and-keeper-of-secrets-and-tales-and-trials-of-the-disappearing-caste-of-witchers-who-must-face-the-fact-that-the-world-is-changing-outside-Kaer-Morhen's-walls-and-how-will-they-change-too?

She seems like she has a great handle on the characters, and her Twitter feed, if anything, shows in incredible amount of transparency regarding the creative process as well as a deep respect of the source material.

Also, Mark Hamill just totally put his hand up to play Vesemir.

Oh wow, the showrunner has a hitlist of writing and producer credits including The West Wing, Daredevil, The Defenders, and for months has been demonstrating an incredible love and respect for Andrzej Sapkowski's lore whilst engaging the fans with a level of transparency rarely seen in the industry! Amazing! :)

Fixed that for ya.

Look at Kathleen Kennedy's track record before she burned down the Star Wars franchise.

Oh, Lord. What in the world does Kennedy/Star Wars have to do with this? Is Kennedy some magical representation of all women in the industry, or is she ONE person?

You want me to go down the list of awful male showrunners/producers/directors? Because let me tell you, that is one long list. But you'd never hear me griping about a showrunner simply because of what's between his legs.

Back