The Watchmen Figure Thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found out something extremely crappy about the Owl Ship Replica...

Go to DC Direct's Product Page: https://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=10478

It was resolicited this month (due to production delay) and now says: "NOTE: Does not include light-up features."

This is in direct contrast to the original solicitation (and what was said at SDCC), which was that the lights WOULD light-up and in fact there would be details inside the ship that you could see through the windows. This was also said in the original solicitation: "In addition to the back-lit photographic interior, this replica includes environmental elements on the base that reflect owl elements from the movie!"

And clearly, in the original pic the windows were transparent glass or plastic and you could look into the ship:

10478_a_full.jpg

Now they're not only telling us it "does not include light-up features", but the entire piece is cold-cast porcelain and the windows are no longer transparent but simply painted gloss black. :yuck

Just go to the PRODUCT PAGE and look at the Full 360 Turnaround and compare it to the original pic (before they take it down and replace it) and you'll see what I mean.

So, let's get this straight: The thing is now less detailed, is without any electronic/light features, and is no longer mixed media... but it's still SRP $325 and has been delayed 5 months until July 27, 2009??? WTF?!?!

Blow me, DC Direct :cuss

Last edited:
Maybe Wookster can confirm whether HT will be doing these? I am only interested in a HT Rorshach, but boy do I want it - the most iconic character in the book from the best toy company in the world.

Maybe Wookster can confirm whether HT will be doing these? I am only interested in a HT Rorshach, but boy do I want it - the most iconic character in the book from the best toy company in the world.

Wookster's been asking them, but they won't admit to anything or comment one way or the other. I doubt they'll make an announcement until sometime after the New Year.

We should just be patient. As we all know, Ht are going from strength to strength...Watchmen figures are going to rock.

I want all six main characters, but I know it won't happen. :monkey2
Who do you think they'll leave out?

They did do five figures for The Dark Knight and seven (counting the double dips on Jack and Sao) for Pirates of the Caribbean. Unless the movie tanks I could see them getting to the entire main cast.

The real question is, will the Hot Toys Dr. Manhattan be naked?

Who are we considering the six mains? Rorschach, Nite-Owl II, Silk Specter II, Ozymandias, Manhattan, and Comedian, right? If hot toys left any of them out, it would probably be Silk Specter. But she's really the least interesting of all the characters both visually and character wise. The rest, though, there's absolutely no way they can't make or else there will be rioting. As for Manhattan being naked, if he were, I really don't think I would be able to display him on my shelf and be comfortable.

Nah, Silk Spectre will get done. If not in the Watchmen Line properly she screams the Hot Angel line which gave us Machiko. I would say that out of the six principals if any were to get left out (and I don't think there will be) something tells me that it'd be Nite-Owl II. No real reasoning behind it just a gut instinct, kind of a Barbossa angle from their POTC line where they are main but others are done before it and it becomes forgotten.

I would honestly think that The Comedian, Rorschach would probably be the first two releases followed tightly by Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias.

Oh, and I don't think that Manhattan will be naked I think they'll slap the black Codpiece on him similar to what DCD has done and he'll probably have it sculpted on underneath the suit offering like DCD 13" figure.

I think we might even get a Comedian variant done like Sao Feng's or Brawler Clubber Lang that'll be right out of the Minutemen seen here:

minutemen.jpg

Who are we considering the six mains.
If you're familiar with WATCHMEN that's easy:

The Comedian
Rorschach
Dr. Manhattan
Nite Owl II
Silk Spectre II
Ozymandias

If there were to be 2 more it would be Silk Spectre I (Sally Jupiter) and Nite Owl I (Hollis Mason), with Minutemen Comedian 3rd.

If you're familiar with WATCHMEN that's easy:

The Comedian
Rorschach
Dr. Manhattan
Nite Owl II
Silk Spectre II
Ozymandias

If there were to be 2 more it would be Silk Spectre I (Sally Jupiter) and Nite Owl I (Hollis Mason), with Minutemen Comedian 3rd.

I think the first three on that list are the most likely to be made. The other three are definately important characters, but I see the first three as much better sellers. Ozymandias would need his mutant Lynx!

After the Batmobile, I wouldn't doubt an Owl Ship at this point though, which would mean Nite Owl II being made.

Silk Spectre II makes a nice companion figure for both Nite Owl II and Dr. Manhatten.

I agree that the Comedian and Rorschach for sure will be made, we can hope for the reast though! I hope hot toys doesn't pull a Barbossa and not do 1 of the six watchmen. For that reason alone, I will be holding off on getting them all until HT announces all six, otherwise I'll just stick with The Comedian and Rorschach.

I think the Owl ship is too big though, it is much bigger than the tumbler is. It wouldn't be 1/6 scale if they did one, it would just be too massive.

Were the Watchmen ever directly referred to as such in the book? I don't remember that at all.

Back