The Strain on FX - starts July 13

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For all of Setrakian's constant bluster about finding and killing the Master, in the two chances he's had, he seems either unwilling or unable to even put up a fight. Next time, send the guy with the dynamite.

If your going to kill someone, don't stand around talking about it, just do it.

That backwards walking scene was just retarded. I mean that was some low budget student film BS right there.

For all of Setrakian's constant bluster about finding and killing the Master, in the two chances he's had, he seems either unwilling or unable to even put up a fight. Next time, send the guy with the dynamite.

The battle with the Master was clumsily handled. If sunlight doesn't kill him, then why was he cowering from it and why did he summon all his minions to him? The backwards walking thing was silly. If the Master needed his minions why not just run to him as fast as they can? It is straying from the books quite a bit, so who knows what to expect? I did like that Fitzwilliams left Palmer. He has got to pop up next season and join Gus or Eph and the gang. The whole thing with Palmer is new territory too.

At last we get to see strigoi Kelly!

Overall I really liked this season and look forward to S2 sometime next year.

The ancients was an interesting deviation. I dont know if Q was trying to frighten Gus but he made it out to sound like they were almost.....feral? Like the way Q said he would speak for them and that if they woke up they would feed on Gus. They never came off as lacking any self control in the books.

The scene was really cool although I was almost expecting large chairs carved out of stone for them to sit in. The chairs they sat in were cool nonetheless. Very organic.

Not a bad series finale. Like what was mentioned before, I don't get why the master takes so much cover from sunlight if it doesn't kill him. Did that scene happen in the book? There are quite a few things I like about the show, it's just a shame it hasn't been written better. Even though I never read the books, there are a lot of obvious wtf moments.

I'm still not seeing why they had that whole episode following zacks mom, and all we got was that lame scene at the end. There wasn't enough emotion in it. I have to say, besides fet and satrakian, I have no feelings for the rest of the characters. That would prolly be my biggest gripe with the writing, I should care about them.

To answer your question regarding the master and sunlight (I'll avoid spoilers)

Spoiler Spoiler:

Kelly was pretty underwhelming, I agree. She takes a silver round in the shoulder and is like "hey man, it's cool. I was just picking up a few things but I'll come back later" and walks away. The strigoi in the TV show are way more zombieish than they are in the books. They're essentially Canon fodder. They just kinda shuffle up to people and then get cut down. They seemed a lot more animalistic in the book. Like rushing at people and whatnot. Maybe they're saving that for later.

I'd love to know what the hell Nora was doing. Did the director forget she was with the group after entering bolivars? I don't remember seeing any shots of her when Dutch and fet are fighting Eichorst and the strigoi.

To answer your question regarding the master and sunlight (I'll avoid spoilers)

Spoiler Spoiler:

Kelly was pretty underwhelming, I agree. She takes a silver round in the shoulder and is like "hey man, it's cool. I was just picking up a few things but I'll come back later" and walks away. The strigoi in the TV show are way more zombieish than they are in the books. They're essentially Canon fodder. They just kinda shuffle up to people and then get cut down. They seemed a lot more animalistic in the book. Like rushing at people and whatnot. Maybe they're saving that for later.

I'd love to know what the hell Nora was doing. Did the director forget she was with the group after entering bolivars? I don't remember seeing any shots of her when Dutch and fet are fighting Eichorst and the strigoi.

She was there killing strigoi and facing off against Bolivar. She has definitely hardened after her mother's death. I have no complaints about her character in the finale.

She was there killing strigoi and facing off against Bolivar. She has definitely hardened after her mother's death. I have no complaints about her character in the finale.

I think Scareb is making a point about the way they edited the footage from those scenes. While she appears early in the fight, she doesn't appear in later parts that show the other characters - seemingly not even in the background. I found it strange as well.

I think Scareb is making a point about the way they edited the footage from those scenes. While she appears early in the fight, she doesn't appear in later parts that show the other characters - seemingly not even in the background. I found it strange as well.

Setrakian told the group to spread out (not a good idea IMO) and attack the strigoi once they entered Bolivar's. Setrakian and Eph/Zack went upstairs. Nora sliced a strigoi and went off screen. Fet stayed near Dutch because he has the hots for her (not that I blame him), but while Dutch/Fet fought Eichorst, Nora was facing off against Bolivar. It looked like she sliced his stinger. While she didn't figure prominently in all the action scenes, she was present and accounted for.

Yeah, pretty much what pixel said. I do recall now her fight with Bolivar but it seemed so quickly done whereas fet and dutches fight with Eichorst showed a lot more. Should have just had Eichorst and Bolivar attack together against the three. That way you could keep them together.

I also wish they had done like they did with the masters eyes for the strigoi where they were glowing red consantly and in the dark it was faint but looked pretty cool. Instead the strigois eyes glow bright red once or twice and that's it?

Yeah, pretty much what pixel said. I do recall now her fight with Bolivar but it seemed so quickly done whereas fet and dutches fight with Eichorst showed a lot more. Should have just had Eichorst and Bolivar attack together against the three. That way you could keep them together.

I also wish they had done like they did with the masters eyes for the strigoi where they were glowing red consantly and in the dark it was faint but looked pretty cool. Instead the strigois eyes glow bright red once or twice and that's it?

My guess is that the actress who plays Nora isn't that great at sword fight / action scenes, so they minimized her appearance in the fights.

The red glowing eye effect was cool. My take on it was the strigoi's eyes only turned red when the Master was telepathically speaking to them (almost like a receiver).

What about strigoi Kelly? I know people don't understand why they spent a whole episode on her backstory when all she had was a brief appearance at the end of the season finale, but that was just a taste of what's to come next season. She too plays a fairly significant role in the books, so they had to show the viewers how she became infected. Also, she was telepathically speaking to Zach (or maybe the Master was through her??). Either way she appears to be more than just your average strigoi.

One last question I have... I'll use spoiler tags...

Spoiler Spoiler:

agree. tbh, the way setrakian is portrayed is really starting to get on my nerves. he's made out to be this experienced vamp killer but practically every showdown with the master (including the flashbacks) he comes off effin' useless. even the kid was more useful, knocking out the windows while setrakian just fumbled around.

other than that i sorta liked the finale. next season, am anticipating gus stepping up for the chance at revenge, and more of quinlan. just please improve the writing for the characters.

agree. tbh, the way setrakian is portrayed is really starting to get on my nerves. he's made out to be this experienced vamp killer.

Let's say he was 19 when the war ended, that would make him at least 88 years old in 2014. I think you can cut him a bit of slack.

Let's say he was 19 when the war ended, that would make him at least 88 years old in 2014. I think you can cut him a bit of slack.

his age isn't an excuse. other times, setrakian has been shown to be pretty nimble with his blade. but when it matters most, he keeps faltering. and in the 1960s flashback, he was so much younger yet he wasn't any more effective (got himself into a trap). it's just down to clumsy writing. so nope, i don't have to cut him any slack. :lol

i still like the concept of his character though, and am hoping it gets better next season.

My guess is that the actress who plays Nora isn't that great at sword fight / action scenes, so they minimized her appearance in the fights.

The red glowing eye effect was cool. My take on it was the strigoi's eyes only turned red when the Master was telepathically speaking to them (almost like a receiver).

What about strigoi Kelly? I know people don't understand why they spent a whole episode on her backstory when all she had was a brief appearance at the end of the season finale, but that was just a taste of what's to come next season. She too plays a fairly significant role in the books, so they had to show the viewers how she became infected. Also, she was telepathically speaking to Zach (or maybe the Master was through her??). Either way she appears to be more than just your average strigoi.

One last question I have... I'll use spoiler tags...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Well here's hoping she improves if that's the case, otherwise they may as well just kill her off like her mom.

I don't think the strigoi's eyes glowed when the master took it over in the well trap back in the day. It was a more auditory Que than anything? I could be wrong though. I don't remember that scene exactly.

I'm hoping they don't turn Kelli into an Eichorst vampire. I'd bet money that they do though.

As for your spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

his age isn't an excuse. other times, setrakian has been shown to be pretty nimble with his blade. but when it matters most, he keeps faltering. and in the 1960s flashback, he was so much younger yet he wasn't any more effective (got himself into a trap). it's just down to clumsy writing. so nope, i don't have to cut him any slack. :lol

i still like the concept of his character though, and am hoping it gets better next season.

yep, things like that are annoying.

Back