The Shallows (2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rock

Blake's performance and surprisingly organic transition from Blue Crush surfer into Action Hero is what allowed me to accept and even embrace the craziness at the end. Loved it.

I agree that the shark effects peaked with the breach scene and when it was thrashing in the coral up against her little rock island. It looked totally real in those scenes! But for some reason some relatively simple effects like its dorsal fin above the water at the end when it was charging the buoy looked less convincing. I noticed in the credits they had like a dozen visual effects companies, I've got to assume that they were taking turns doing the shark and some really nailed it, others not so much.

I can't imagine they'll make a sequel. The Shallows 2. The Shallows 3D. The Shallows The Revenge. :lol Then again Open Water did get a straight to video sequel so maybe something like that will happen with The Shallows with another group of surfers or something. Not that I'd care because as you said I'll always see this as a stand alone picture.

But glad you liked it! :yess:

I can't imagine Sony will sit back and not make a sequel somehow. They'll probably do a straight to Crackle exclusive hackjob and give the director a producer credit even though he'll have nothing to do with the movie. I can't believe with all the girl power hoopla we got this year surrounding GB that this movie didn't get as much press.

The only reason GB got press was because it was garbage and they had to manufacture a narrative that would make headlines. This was actually a really good year for female leads who take matters into their own hands with The VVitch, 10 Cloverfield Lane, and of course The Shallows. But those movies didn't need to shout it from the rooftops because they were actually decent.

And I meant that I couldn't imagine Lively and the director returning for a sequel but yeah, there probably will be some unrelated follow-up to capitalize on the name after the success of this one.

Back