"The Purge" . . . 5/31/2013

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing is there are so many good/great movies competing for the same time. Not saying I'd never watch it but it's hard to see what it brings that's any different from stuff we've seen before (Strangers/Collector/Last House on the Left kinda vibe is what I'm getting from it).

so the entire family including the young girl is a/are criminals?

No. They're law abiding citizens. That's the twist. You think the title of the film has to do with criminals killing off innocent people but actually "The Purge" refers to ALL the criminals that end up dying on that day.

Which raises the question: what do law abiding, innocent people eventually become after they've continually killed, on a yearly basis, multiple people? Remember, by law (in the film) they can't be arrested. So who's worse? Them or the criminals they're killing?

No. They're law abiding citizens. That's the twist. You think the title of the film has to do with criminals killing off innocent people but actually "The Purge" refers to ALL the criminals that end up dying on that day.

Which raises the question: what do law abiding, innocent people eventually become after they've continually killed, on a yearly basis, multiple people? Remember, by law (in the film) they can't be arrested. So who's worse? Them or the criminals they're killing?

I don't think that's correct though, it reads to me as though anyone can kill anyone. I don't think it's with criminals only thats the point why it would never work.

You had a beef with an 8 year old kid who called you a loser in front of his friends and you a 30 year old man can murder him that day because he was a **** once.

from the wiki :

In the year 2022, the United States has come under the rule of a corporocratic cabal which, in order to maintain low unemployment and crime rates, has instituted an annual twelve-hour period during which all criminal activity, including murder, becomes legal. This annual event is known as "The Purge." The only rules during The Purge is that "Level 10" government officials must remain untouched and usage of "Class 4" weaponry and above is forbidden. During this, emergency services are suspended and all external calls are unanswered. The Purge is designed to serve as a catharsis for American citizens, giving them a chance to vent all negative emotions however they desire, while simultaneously 'purging' from the population those who are too poor, weak, or otherwise unable to defend themselves from those who take advantage of the event.

That doesn't sound like criminals only, sounds like go rape your neighbor's hot wife cause he looked at you funny one day last summer. And I would agree the consequence of this event taking place even once would never be lived down, people wouldn't simply go oh well gotta wait til next purge day to get revenge on the guy i live next to who killed my family to help him vent. People wouldn't suddenly emotionaly snap right back into place and be happy at work the next day listening to their boss they tried to kill but couldn't get to in time etc.

:lol :lol

It really is just such a terrible idea/concept it's kinda staggering it would get made.

Entire cities would burn, roadways would be destroyed, homes destroyed, work couldnt just resume the next day, major bosses would be dead, places of work burnt down. Why wouldn't the mcdonalds corp. form armies and go and burn down burger kings and competitive food joints?

It would just destroy the country and then people wouldnt stop, it would be a continued cycle of seeking revenge via murder until marshal law would be needed and than everyone would band togeather against the government that caused it all and is further trying to opress them. That's the only way it could believably end but if I'm not mistaken in the movie this is something that's been going on for years so yeah... :lol

:lol :lol

It really is just such a terrible idea/concept it's kinda staggering it would get made.

Entire cities would burn, roadways would be destroyed, homes destroyed, work couldnt just resume the next day, major bosses would be dead, places of work burnt down. Why wouldn't the mcdonalds corp. form armies and go and burn down burger kings and competitive food joints?

It would just destroy the country and then people wouldnt stop, it would be a continued cycle of seeking revenge via murder until marshal law would be needed and than everyone would band togeather against the government that caused it all and is further trying to opress them. That's the only way it could believably end but if I'm not mistaken in the movie this is something that's been going on for years so yeah... :lol

:exactly:

Thank you for stating it better than I did.

It's like that Star Trek episode where everyone flips out for a day then goes right back to "normal" after it is over. Of course those people were brainwashed or something.

It's like that Star Trek episode where everyone flips out for a day then goes right back to "normal" after it is over. Of course those people were brainwashed or something.

I know it's so absurd like birds that start attacking people for no reason or dead people that inexplicably become reanimated and eat people.

Those are 100 times more feasibly thought out usually.

Would you not agree Batman is suspension of disbelief? What if Chris Nolan's Batman could fly. Not glide, take off like Superman and fly upwards 10,000 feet into the air with no explanation. He's human but he just suddenly flies and it's never explained. What if Spiderman murdered people, not by accident, like Dexter, took innocents to his home and slowly tortured and murdered them? What if Superman could reform himself like liquid and morph the way he looked? What if at the end of Roots for no reason, all the sudden all black people have telekentic abilities and secretly control the country? Or how about at the end of Saving Private Ryan we find out the Nazis are robots and Hitler wins and we flash forward to a future where we're all slaves.

It's called intelligent writing and it used to exist. Theres nothing wrong with this as an idea as I said. Theres everything wrong with the way they are choosing to execute the idea. Flash Gordon is a fantasy idea that has potential but they chose to execute it in a way that turned people off. An Iron Man suit isn't realistic but showing us a genius who needs to learn to fly it and gets hurt several times in the process is showing that the writers are putting effort into the script and the idea to make it feel real. That's the enitre point of any movie, it needs to feel believable for us to connect with it, the best movies make you think about them, the ideas they convey. When you do that here, it immediately falls apart.

If the idea was this was the first try at this and it doesn't work and goes horribly wrong and destroys the country, that's making your idea believable. Saying this takes place every year doesn't take anything more than an understanding of emotions in the basest sense to realise it just wouldn't work.

Last edited:
Those are 100 times more feasibly thought out usually.

Would you not agree Batman is suspension of disbelief? What if Chris Nolan's Batman could fly. Not glide, take off like Superman and fly upwards 10,000 feet into the air with no explanation. He's human but he just suddenly flies and it's never explained. What if Spiderman murdered people, not by accident, like Dexter, took innocents to his home and slowly tortured and murdered them? What if Superman could reform himself like liquid and morph the way he looked? What if at the end of Roots for no reason, all the sudden all black people have telekentic abilities and secretly control the country? Or how about at the end of Saving Private Ryan we find out the Nazis are robots and Hitler wins and we flash forward to a future where we're all slaves.

It's called intelligent writing and it use to exist. Theres nothing wrong with this as an idea as I said. Theres everything wrong with the way they are choosing to execute the idea. Flash Gordon is a fantasy idea that has potential but they chose to execute it in a way that turned people off. An Iron Man suit isn't realistic but showing us a genius who needs to learn to fly it and gets hurt several times in the process is showing that the writers are putting effort into the script and the idea to make it feel real. That's the enitre point of any movie, it needs to feel believable for us to connect with it, the best movies make you think about them, the ideas they convey. When you do that here, it immediately falls apart.

I don't know about you all, but I think this would have been better than Spiderman 3 :lol

Whew. Boy. This ****ing movie. It tested my patiance, and then some.

Why did they skimp out on the gore? Why did they skimp out on a message? Why did they skimp out on cinematography? Why was everyone an idiot? Why were the villains so uninteresting and quickly dispatched? Why did the film's climax feel like the middle?

I really did not like this movie. Border lined hated it.

What really bugged me, was the lack of catharsis, or moral message at the end. None of the kills in this movie are gory. Most of it is ****ing Action Essentials Plug ins. Especially one I noticed, Blood Burst # 10. Does this bother anyone else? Bothers the **** out of me.

Seriously, how much does it cost to do a squib? 2 bucks? Max? ****ing fire crackers and blood filled condoms. Christ.

Anyway, nit picking aside...it was just boring. The characters were ****ing dumb all the way through. Even the villains. So there was no tension. And I did not care.

This movie could've been, and should've been a comedy. Can you imagine the whole idea of people just getting revenge on all the silly **** they go through in the world? You could have a story about a guy who got his Wendy's order ****ed up, and went on a killing spree getting vengeance for his 8 dollar hamburger. Or take out a **** boss for being a ****.

Hell, I even saw potential for a Paul Verhoeven film in there. A crazy satire that makes you both laugh, and feel bad for yourself. This movie made me feel nothing. Other then anger.

People called this fun. I suppose. But I don't know. I had no fun. It was not scary enough to bother me. The characters weren't interesting enough for me to care. And it wasn't gory enough for me to enjoy the vengeance. It was just shoot shoot, stab, axe, shootout and a small little fight scene to end the film. I didn't see any point. Nor did I think the film really tried to have one. In the end.

Also it was visually boring. So. That's a huge deal for me. Being a visual format and all.

Thanks for taking a bullet for the team, Celtic! Really does seem like such a stupid premise, as has been pointed out. I agree with your idea that it would work better as a satire.

Back