The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread *SPOILERS*

It's been awhile since I've read the book. Like nearly a decade. Is this necromancer character not in the book? Same with that pale orc, Azog or whatever?

He's mentioned in the book, Azog is mentioned in the book too

They might even have the death of Smaug in the end of the second film and the Dol Guldur battle start the third film?...maybe

They might even have the death of Smaug in the end of the second film and the Dol Guldur battle start the third film?...maybe

Dol Guldur has to happen after Beorn but before Gandalf re-unites with the party towards Smaug's demise.

With PJ you never know...It's detective work trying to see what's coming

Wonder when we'll get a tease for Part 2. Probably around march or so ya?

Someone said towards the end of FOTR run a teaser for TTT was attached. So its possible they could do that again.

Someone said towards the end of FOTR run a teaser for TTT was attached. So its possible they could do that again.

Yep. I saw again it in the theater after I heard that a TTT teaser was attached.

Sorry I'm quoting out of order, I put myself on a self-imposed moratorium on this thread until I had watched the film myself, but I think that Smaug's death occurs in the second film as well...and the title "The Desolation of Smaug" will have a dual meaning.

Ok, I saw it on Saturday and thought it was excellent (easily in the same league as LOTR). I loved the pacing and the inclusion of material from the Appendicies (which was what I was looking forward to the most).

I did have a couple of minor issues:

- I liked Azog but couldn't ignore the CGI and thought that he kind of looked like a video game character.

- Seeing The Witch-King was awesome..........but what the hell was all the talk during The White Council scene about about where he was buried etc... I was under the impression that The Rings of power gave the kings of men immortality until they eventually faded into wraiths. Was this just something PJ fudged to make it fit into the story better or did I miss something in my reading?:dunno

Ok, I saw it on Saturday and thought it was excellent (easily in the same league as LOTR). I loved the pacing and the inclusion of material from the Appendicies (which was what I was looking forward to the most).

I did have a couple of minor issues:

- I liked Azog but couldn't ignore the CGI and thought that he kind of looked like a video game character.

- Seeing The Witch-King was awesome..........but what the hell was all the talk during The White Council scene about about where he was buried etc... I was under the impression that The Rings of power gave the kings of men immortality until they eventually faded into wraiths. Was this just something PJ fudged to make it fit into the story better or did I miss something in my reading?:dunno

That bothered me too. I noticed that all enemies that had close ups were CGI. must be because of the 48fps - I read that it shows up every detail in wigs and prosthetics and it's incredibly difficult to mask.

Azog especially- he's not complicated compared to other prosthetic monsters PJ featured in the past.

I think it was totally made up by PJ to add to the story....I dont even remember anything like that from Unfinished tales or the other books full of Tolkiens notes...

I think it was totally made up by PJ to add to the story....I dont even remember anything like that from Unfinished tales or the other books full of Tolkiens notes...

Exactly.

Thanks, at least I know I'm not crazy. (well not too crazy:lol)

Exactly.

Thanks, at least I know I'm not crazy. (well not too crazy:lol)

But you gotta admit whatever changes PJ did from the original Tolkien storyline he did extremely well...I hated that this film ended

I enjoyed Azog, but I hope either Jackson kills him off soon, or makes him part of the bigger story, instead of it just being about a revenge story between Thorin and him. I felt a lot of time was dedicated to them, which really didn't do much for the story as a whole. Not entirely sure why Jackson felt that we needed an antagonist to Thorin. Felt way too similar to the character of Lurtz in Fellowhip.

Secondly, regarding Radagast, for all the Tolkien experts, was he goofy like that in the appendices/books? I don't really remember anything more than a line or 2 about him, but I never read any of the appendices.

I enjoyed Azog, but I hope either Jackson kills him off soon, or makes him part of the bigger story, instead of it just being about a revenge story between Thorin and him. I felt a lot of time was dedicated to them, which really didn't do much for the story as a whole. Not entirely sure why Jackson felt that we needed an antagonist to Thorin. Felt way too similar to the character of Lurtz in Fellowhip.

Secondly, regarding Radagast, for all the Tolkien experts, was he goofy like that in the appendices/books? I don't really remember anything more than a line or 2 about him, but I never read any of the appendices.

A little goofy...but not as much..he was suspicious of all the sounds he heard paying attention to the trees blowing and birds and of course the sounds of the forrest worrying about spies, always pausing to hear things when he was talking to Gandalf

But you gotta admit whatever changes PJ did from the original Tolkien storyline he did extremely well...I hated that this film ended

:exactly:

I don't remember a whole lot about Radagast in the books other than in FOTR when Saruman uses him to find Gandalf and send him to Orthanc. If I recall correctly, Saruman's words regarding Radagast were: "Radagast bird-tamer, Radagast the fool."

Last edited:

A little goofy...but not as much..he was suspicious of all the sounds he heard paying attention to the trees blowing and birds and of course the sounds of the forrest worrying about spies, always pausing to hear things when he was talking to Gandalf

Pretty much. There isn't a ton out there on him sadly.

Yep, Radagast was out there. What do you expect from a tree hugger? :lol

My only nitpick in the movie was the Goblin King's voice. He sounded like a librarian / historian.

From LotR, Saruman didn't regard him very highly.

Back