The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Yep, Radagast was out there. What do you expect from a tree hugger? :lol

It was all those mushrooms and Guano droppings from his right side he was eating!

While he was goofy, I still really liked him, and really liked when he was casting that magic. Pretty badass actually. Although Saruman's "mushroom" line was a little much!

So, regarding Saruman, what was his deal with being clueless, and not listening to Gandalf at all? For someone that Gandalf is supposed to look up, he's been useless. And he hasn't even corrupted by the evil of Sauron yet. Was there something in the books about that as well?

While he was goofy, I still really liked him, and really liked when he was casting that magic. Pretty badass actually. Although Saruman's "mushroom" line was a little much!

So, regarding Saruman, what was his deal with being clueless, and not listening to Gandalf at all? For someone that Gandalf is supposed to look up, he's been useless. And he hasn't even corrupted by the evil of Sauron yet. Was there something in the books about that as well?

He is useless. When Gandalf arrived (as the last of the 5 Istarii Wizards), Cirdan (one of the 3 Elf Lords) gave Gandalf his ring of power, Narya. He instantly recognized that Gandalf was far wiser and kinder than Saruman.

As for the mushroom line... well in the books, Saruman despises Radagast. It was actually Radagast that sent Gwaihir the eagle to save Gandalf from Saruman in Fellowship.

PJ can always pull a Lucas and digitally add Radagast in.

How else would you expect him to act?
If you've seen the original trilogy you know he accused Gandalf of similar crap when Gandalf was opposing him and then went on to totally disregard Gandlaf's opinion. Thats his first goto is to descredit people who oppose his views. Its just Saruman being a blowhard thinking he knows it all, pretty much exactly what I'd expect from the guy.

While he is at it, he should digitally add a glow to Gandalf's Sword, Glamdring. It is supposed to glow blue when near Orcs too. (So is Thorin's Orcrist).

Also Anduril is supposed to give off Orange and White glows depending if it is night or day.

I don't think he was clueless. I believe at that point he was already corrupt. He was playing The Council and distracting them from seeing what was going on. He stalled them from attacking Dol Guldur for as long as he could. He then realized that Sauron was making too much progress in his search for the One Ring and that it would interfere with his own desire to locate it.

Yeah, maybe he'll go "Full Lucas" and add Radagast to The Battle of Helms Deep.:lol

Last edited:

Interesting! A shame that Radagast wasn't in the original trilogy now.

I was always a fan of Radagast, even though he never played a large role in the books. He struct me as the Druid archetype.

Speaking of Saruman, man does Christopher Lee ever impress. He is 91 years old!!! He still stands well upright and is still very lucid.

How else would you expect him to act?
If you've seen the original trilogy you know he accused Gandalf of similar crap when Gandalf was opposing him and then went on to totally disregard Gandlaf's opinion. Thats his first goto is to descredit people who oppose his views. Its just Saruman being a blowhard thinking he knows it all, pretty much exactly what I'd expect from the guy.

I expected him to act that way in LOTR since at that point he had already been corrupted by the Ring.

While he is at it, he should digitally add a glow to Gandalf's Sword, Glamdring. It is supposed to glow blue when near Orcs too. (So is Thorin's Orcrist).

Also Anduril is supposed to give off Orange and White glows depending if it is night or day.
And remove the "Lighthouse" EYE from Baradur.

Speaking of Saruman, man does Christopher Lee ever impress. He is 91 years old!!! He still stands well upright and is still very lucid.
I was thinking the same thing! Same with Ian McKellen. These old guys are 10 years older than when Fellowship came out!

He did indeed. One thing I did notice is that his delivery was not as forceful as his lines in LOTR.

In LOTR, the bass and timbre of his voice showed you the power that he held.

I noticed that right away during the White Council scene. It was great to see him, but it wasn't the Saruman "voice" I remembered from LOTR.

I wonder if that was done on purpose, or because of his older age / health? Or a combination of the two.

He still posesses the commanding "voice" of Saruman.:lecture

Hmmm. Maybe it was me, then.

I thought there was a big drop in Ian McKellen's acting in this one. I seem to be the only one though.

I thought there was a big drop in Ian McKellen's acting in this one. I seem to be the only one though.

He seemed like Gandalf to me.:dunno

Is is just me or did they use a different cut for Gandalf's line to Bilbo: "Im looking for someone to share in an adventure" ? I could have sworn that it was different in the coming attractions. (I liked that delivery better)

I still thought he was fantastic, but his role was a bit lesser than in the LOTR films. Maybe that's what it was?

Every single time he was on screen, it brought me back to what I loved about Gandalf. I thought it was pretty funny that he hit his head on the chandelier, definitely a nod to him doing it in Fellowship.

I thought his acting was hollow and dull. He seemed very out of it imo which is expected of his age. Just didn't feel like Gandalf to me.

Might not be as bad as I remember, I need to watch the movie again.

Holy $hift!!! I hope that never happens.
Peter Jackson should better off leave the LOTR trilogy alone.
Let's not follow the path of the Star Wars Prequel/Original Trilogy enhancing fiasco.
Unless Disney wants to try own Tolkien as well. :)

Back