The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

If, heaven forbid, Christopher Lee can't do the Hobbit, what about Alan Rickman? Just a thought.

Rickman???? You reckon he's not a bad actor I suppose but I don't think he'd fit the part of Saruman :confused:

Rickman???? You reckon he's not a bad actor I suppose but I don't think he'd fit the part of Saruman :confused:

Well, I'm just throwing someone out there. No one would be as good as Lee, but IF they need someone, Rickman is older, has about the same build and with makeup could possibly look somewhat the same. Lee would be hard to replace.

All the good actors that I think could replace Lee are gone. Like Peter Cushing.

Though, could they possibly go with a younger actor since this is set years earlier, or would the wizards look the same no matter what the year?

Well, I'm just throwing someone out there. No one would be as good as Lee, but IF they need someone, Rickman is older, has about the same build and with makeup could possibly look somewhat the same. Lee would be hard to replace.

All the good actors that I think could replace Lee are gone. Like Peter Cushing.

Though, could they possibly go with a younger actor since this is set years earlier, or would the wizards look the same no matter what the year?

Yea your right most decent replacements are probably gone now :monkey2
But regarding your Wizard aging question I do not think they do age I could be wrong but I just cannot imagine Saruman or Gandalf coming to Middle Earth as young looking Wizards :confused:

Yes, looking back, all the choices in casting seem inspired.

Agreed.

It would be a tradgedy to have Saruman withough C. Lee.

I highly suspect that all involved realize this as well as we do, and will take what accomodations are necessary to get him on screen.

Probably this means as has been suggested, compressing all the Saruman scenes into a short schedule, with greenscreen in London.

I hope so anyway.

Gandalf and Saruman spent 2,000 years in middle earth, 60 years probably shouldn't make much of a dent in their appearance as to looking younger. :naughty

Here's an interesting theory - Michael Gambon as Gandalf and Ian McKellen as Dumbledore.
Think about it - Gambon plays Dumbledore as an angry grumpy shouty wizard who has his soft moments.
McKellen plays a tall, thin, kindly light hearted wizard who can be frighteningly intimidating when the situation requires it.
To me those two descriptions for the two wizards should be the other way around....just something I was thinking to myself...

On a side note i'm reading the book now for the first time since 7th grade.

I downloaded and watched the old '78 animated movie a couple of weeks ago. Never read the book, so I have no idea how close to it the movie is, but it was an interesting experience. I hadn't seen it in ages.
Obviously, I didn't remember just how boring it was...
The art direction was very nice, however, which can't be said about the animated LOTR film from the 70's
I've been trying to re-watch, but it's atrocious. There's some nice things about the way the story is told though, I'll get back to it tonight.

I own that cartoon on VHS! :(

The fights still pump me up!!! :rock

I recently picked up the Hobbit to re-read, in anticipation of the movies. Been a long time.
After LOTR, is was a little hard to get into it, being so light hearted I guess.
I will wait though, until the release draws nigh, and the anticipation mounts!

Yeah, I reread it a couple years ago and I had forgotten how light and kidish it was compared to the trilogy too.

Back