The New(er) iPad thread. Now with iPad Mini

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Apple Tablet

The Apple Care plan can prove to be worth every penny. I had 2 super drives die on me, but because I had the plan, I got them both replaced 100% free, as well as having a monitor die and be repaired completely on their dime.

It's like insurance, you may spend a lot for nothing, but there may also come a time you tap into it for far more than you put in. I know all the things I got taken care of under the plan cost more than I paid to have the coverage.

I don't recommend getting any serious Apply tech without that plan.

Macs are awesome, but I hate how their sales people push their warranties on you. Rule of thumb, if it doesn't break down within the first few months to even a year, you're pretty much good (for a desktop)... they handle fine. My G3 iMac lasted 8 years, no issues. Worst 300 bucks spent ever. Just for piece of mind.

Laptops, I may go the warranty route though. My laptop has a warranty through school, since we're constantly moving them around. Honestly, I would go with a iMac if you don't need to take your computer with you. I have to because I can work at my Mac from home and school.

It's an houre drive but yes we do. That's were i'm going when i'm ready to buy one. And after i've bought one, to celebrate, i'm gonna stop by this joint that make a mean rice and curry :rock

Yeah I drove about an hour to specifically go to one of their stores. And try the da PC suk platter. You will love it.

Macs are awesome, but I hate how their sales people push their warranties on you. Rule of thumb, if it doesn't break down within the first few months to even a year, you're pretty much good (for a desktop)... they handle fine. My G3 iMac lasted 8 years, no issues. Worst 300 bucks spent ever. Just for piece of mind.

Laptops, I may go the warranty route though. My laptop has a warranty through school, since we're constantly moving them around. Honestly, I would go with a iMac if you don't need to take your computer with you. I have to because I can work at my Mac from home and school.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl That happens anywhere and everywhere that sells a Warranty plan! thats way they are paid to sell.

I've had macs for around 15 years and I've never gotten the AppleCare. Any problems I've ever had I was able to fix myself (like a bad hard drive), and any major problems I had (only two so far--one: my laptop screen went kaput, and two: my wife's power source died on her iMac), were well after the 3 years Apple Care covers. They only charged me $300 (the same as the Apple Care package) to fix the screen, and $100 for the power source.

Honestly, I would go with a iMac if you don't need to take your computer with you.

Even if you do need to take it with you, go with the iMac. Just ask Panera Bread iMac Man:

500xvwzdp.jpg

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Just checked the online Apple store, looks like Applecare prices have gone up. $250 for a laptop? :monkey2 $170 for an iMac? :monkey4

I liked it better when it was $100. Still, the service is great, and I would still recommend it to somebody who isn't all that technically adept.

Even if you're not adept, if parts break down, you save. I think it would have run like $600 total for the two super drives I had to replace, the plan cost about 1/6 of that as it was in the days of cheaper coverage.

It is a gamble, you could spend it, never have a problem and wish you had the money back, but you can also, like me, have it save you much more. I can't even imagine what it would have cost me to deal with my monitor without the plan, might have even had to just get a new one.

I've had it hugely help me so I'm a big advocate of buying the plans. I bought one for my iPod, never used it, but liked knowing that the things it covered, any problem I might have had that would be costly would be covered at no extra charge.

When places like Best Buy offered you extended warranty and all that, stuff like that I find shady and usually don't buy on, but Apple Care is a great coverage and there's very little that could happen to your devices it won't cover. Even phone support requires having that coverage after the first year of warranty unless you want to pay per call.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl That happens anywhere and everywhere that sells a Warranty plan! thats way they are paid to sell.

When i bought my new Xbox last year, the guy kept trying to sell me a $200 service plan in case the controller didnt work :lol :duh

There's an Apple store within walking distance of my job, about 3 blocks or so. :D

Any Best Buy's and such near work? :monkey3

I also suggest getting the AppleCare plan regardless if you need it or not. For $250 its nice to know that they will cover everything short of taking it snorkeling for nothing.

Alright, guys. In a few moments the Apple Event will start.

Apple does not allow a live video or audio stream (except for its own, which will go up later today), so you can follow the live-updates at these places:

Kotaku: https://kotaku.com/5453152/apple-liveblog-revenge-of-the-tablet
Ars Technica live blog: https://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/tablet-live-event-liveblog.ars
Engadget: https://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live-from-the-apple-tablet-latest-creation-event/
Gizmodo: https://live.gizmodo.com/

You can always get Applecare off ebay from a reputable seller.

IT'S REAL! :drool details! details! And please let there be a way for Kabuki to make that LCARS interface haha

Back