The Metal Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^Ever listen to Zonaria? Great Blackened Death metal. A little like Behemoth, but slightly less scary.

Yeah Im mostly a Death Metal / Black metal guy.
If your into black metal a couple really interesting documentaries on what happened in Norway during the 90's. Once Upon a time in Norway and Until the Light Takes Us. Until the Light Takes Us is actually on netflix instant.

Ive been listening to alot of
Destroyer 666
Marduk
Burzum
Amon Amarth
Hail of Bullets - (if you like Bolt Thrower)
Dismember
Unleashed
Slayer
Toxic Holocaust
Skeleton Witch

One of my favorite bands is Mirrorthrone, well, is a one guy project, but I love it, my favorite, is a melodic death metal

^^^Ever listen to Zonaria? Great Blackened Death metal. A little like Behemoth, but slightly less scary.
Nope never heard of them man. I'll look them up and give them a shot. I always liked Behemoth so good. Thx for the reccomendation

One of my favorite bands is Mirrorthrone, well, is a one guy project, but I love it, my favorite, is a melodic death metal

Never heard these guys either, cool. I'll give this guy a shot as well. Like Burzum, I love when its a one guy show. Something really cool about that to me.

Never heard these guys either, cool. I'll give this guy a shot as well. Like Burzum, I love when its a one guy show. Something really cool about that to me.

he uses the computer for the drums I think, does a lot of violin and piano stuff, but is pretty good,

I love Death or Black metal that is melodic, like Dimmu Borgir, i love the brutality of the singing combined with the melodic elements of the Organs or violins,

Haha, Endo me and you have a great taste in music!

Even tho they'er not metal, Alice In Chains has gotta be my favorite band of all time! No one could sing like layne! :lecture Fav album has gotta be Jar of Flies :rock

What kind of music was ____ ____ classified as ? (Other than Swedish.)

picture.php

Even tho they'er not metal, Alice In Chains has gotta be my favorite band of all time! No one could sing like layne! :lecture Fav album has gotta be Jar of Flies :rock

Freaking love AiC, my favourite album is Dirt

Fav band of all time though is Guns N Roses :rock

Fav Metal Band? hard to say as I like quit a few. But Megadeth is closest to my heart... Black Sabbath, Death, Iron Maiden are the other ones I still give a listen to from time to time.

Used to have my own metal band called In Human, had an album out independent called 'Voices' You can listen to us on

https://www.myspace.com/inhumantheband
https://www.reverbnation.com/inhumantheband

A couple of our Music videos and live performances

Music Video for our Instrumental 'Vicious Cycle'
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwvpcGXpFpM[/ame]

Live Performance of The Death Song 'The Philosopher'
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZhieOpuPQQ[/ame]

Live Performace (featuring Diwash Rai of CATW on vocals) the Guitar Solo excerpt of a Megadeth song 'Tornado of Souls'
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBU25oE0WCI[/ame]

They're considerably more metal than Rush who always gets lumped in the metal category. :huh

Don't really do metal but there are bands I listen to.

I love early to mid 80's Iron Maiden.
Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell.
Mastodon
I have one album each of Metallica and Slayer.

I went to a Rammstein concert once (friend had extra ticket otherwise I would have never gone) and it was just full of LARPers, a full outbreak of larperacy. Lots of fire though so I guess that's something.

One of my favorite bands is Mirrorthrone, well, is a one guy project, but I love it...

Thank you so much for posting this. Really diggin' it:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_WU7vajJw[/ame]

Thank you so much for posting this. Really diggin' it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_WU7vajJw

yeah I love when they combine melodies with hard guitars and brutal singing, my favorite kind of metal, I guess is melodic Death metal, not a lot of bands do it, well, I dont know that many,
this one is a little different, but does a similar thing with the melodies, they are my favorite too,
[ame]https://youtu.be/vXX3iQhgIjE[/ame]
[ame]https://youtu.be/XHuw4nlR4Zs[/ame]

Last edited:
^^^ First of all, that Chthonic stuff is totally awesome. Love it. :rock

Regarding labels/genres: I would call Chthonic, as well as Mirrorthrone, Symphonic black metal.

I define Melodic Death Metal (Melo Death) as death metal that usually follows basic Minor/Major scales as opposed to the atonal chromatic scales of traditional Death Metal. The simpler major/minor scales are needed for catchy melodies which often play an important part in Melo Death. These melodies are usually produced by a lead guitar which plays a hook (not a solo) over a second guitar which plays chords. Often this lead melody will be accompanying the growled vocals of the chorus syllable for syllable, giving the chorus a sing-song feel even if the vocals are growled, however, sometimes vocal melodies are included (see new In Flames). Also, there will often be two leading guitars harmonizing.

Examples of Melodic Death Metal bands: In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity.

I define Symphonic Black Metal as a cross between Black Metal and Symphonic Metal (duh :lol). But that's probably an over simplification. Basically, it will have the usual blast beats and double bass flooring, along with blazing fast guitars, as well as traditional black metal vocals. What makes it different is the inclusion of symphonic elements. Whereas Melo Death gets its melodies from a lead guitar, the melody in a Symphonic Black Metal song will come from orchestral instruments or the occasional clean vocal. The first 25 seconds of that first Chthonic song above are classic Symphonic Black Metal: blast beat, blazing guitars, high pitched scream, and strings. The strings are what sets that opening apart from ordinary Black Metal.

Examples of Symphonic Black Metal bands: Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, Anorexia Nervosa.

BTW, I love both Melodic Death Metal and Symphonic Black Metal. :)

One quick comment about Metal vocals.

There is a simple way determine if a band fits into black metal or death metal genre. If the vocals are predominantly low pitched growls it's probably a form of Death Metal. If the vocals are predominantly high pitched screams it's probably black metal of some kind. Some bands are very much one or the other. For example Amon Amarth has a very low growl, well on the other hand Cradle of filth has a very high pitched scream. In other cases though it's not as clear. While In Flames is a kind of death metal, the growls are higher than most, and on the other hand Dimmu Borgir has a relatively low voice and sometimes even growls, while still being a form of black metal. But for the most part one mostly growls and the other mostly screams.

Obviously there is a lot of cross-over that happens in metal, and not many bands fit only into just one category. For example, that second Chthonic song does have a bit of a Melo Death sound to it. Also, there are bands that merge Black Metal and Death Metal (Blackened Death Metal). And then you have bands like Children of Bodom who can cause fierce debates. Without the vocals, I think they are pretty clearly Power Metal, but the vocals are similar to Black Metal. And some will even say they are melodic death metal.

An easer way to approach it would be to call it all Extreme Metal. That includes all the music we're talking about. Basically anything more than run-of-the-mill "Heavy Metal" can be called Extreme Metal... usually...

I should add that all of the forgoing should be read with a clear: "In My Humble Opinion." :lol

I love that we have this thread to talk about this stuff. It's actually a topic I love to discuss, but don't really have any friends to discuss it with. Most of my "real world" friends are into indie crap. :lol

Last edited:
^^^ First of all, that Chthonic stuff is totally awesome. Love it. :rock

Regarding labels/genres: I would call Chthonic, as well as Mirrorthrone, Symphonic black metal.

I define Melodic Death Metal (Melo Death) as death metal that usually follows basic Minor/Major scales as opposed to the atonal chromatic scales of traditional Death Metal. The simpler major/minor scales are needed for catchy melodies which often play an important part in Melo Death. These melodies are usually produced by a lead guitar which plays a hook (not a solo) over a second guitar which plays chords. Often this lead melody will be accompanying the growled vocals of the chorus syllable for syllable, giving the chorus a sing-song feel even if the vocals are growled, however, sometimes vocal melodies are included (see new In Flames). Also, there will often be two leading guitars harmonizing.

Examples of Melodic Death Metal bands: In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity.

I define Symphonic Black Metal as a cross between Black Metal and Symphonic Metal (duh :lol). But that's probably an over simplification. Basically, it will have the usual blast beats and double bass flooring, along with blazing fast guitars, as well as traditional black metal vocals. What makes it different is the inclusion of symphonic elements. Whereas Melo Death gets its melodies from a lead guitar, the melody in a Symphonic Black Metal song will come from orchestral instruments or the occasional clean vocal. The first 25 seconds of that first Chthonic song above are classic Symphonic Black Metal: blast beat, blazing guitars, high pitched scream, and strings. The strings are what sets that opening apart from ordinary Black Metal.

Examples of Symphonic Black Metal bands: Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, Anorexia Nervosa.

BTW, I love both Melodic Death Metal and Symphonic Black Metal. :)

One quick comment about Metal vocals.

There is a simple way determine if a band fits into black metal or death metal genre. If the vocals are predominantly low pitched growls it's probably a form of Death Metal. If the vocals are predominantly high pitched screams it's probably black metal of some kind. Some bands are very much one or the other. For example Amon Amarth has a very low growl, well on the other hand Cradle of filth has a very high pitched scream. In other cases though it's not as clear. While In Flames is a kind of death metal, the growls are higher than most, and on the other hand Dimmu Borgir has a relatively low voice and sometimes even growls, while still being a form of black metal. But for the most part one mostly growls and the other mostly screams.

Obviously there is a lot of cross-over that happens in metal, and not many bands fit only into just one category. For example, that second Chthonic song does have a bit of a Melo Death sound to it. Also, there are bands that merge Black Metal and Death Metal (Blackened Death Metal). And then you have bands like Children of Bodom who can cause fierce debates. Without the vocals, I think they are pretty clearly Power Metal, but the vocals are textbook Black Metal. And some will even say they are melodic death metal.

An easer way to approach it would be to call it all Extreme Metal. That includes all the music we're talking about. Basically anything more than run-of-the-mill "Heavy Metal" can be called Extreme Metal...

I should add that all of the forgoing should be read with a clear: "In My Humble Opinion." :lol

I love that we have this thread to talk about this stuff. It's actually a topic I love to discuss, but don't really have any friends to discuss it with. Most of my "real world" friends are into indie crap. :lol

LOL about the Indie crap

and, thanks, that is so interesting, yeah I love bands like these but I dont know much, because even bands like In Flames and Emperor, while they are really good, I don't know they are either too hard or dont have enough melody, that's why I love Mirrorthrone so much because he plays hard stuff but is so melodic at the same time,
I like in Flames and I have one of their cds but is not the same,
I like your explanation because it looks like it makes it easier for me to google this stuff, good point about the vocals too,

the bands I like is Dimmu and Cradle of Filth, Saw Cradle live twice, I even got to meet the band Except Dani Filth the singer, the two time I saw them I met the band twice, yet I was never able to meet Dani :monkey2

I also met the guys from Mushroomhead, met the guys from Therion (another awesome melodic band) and met the guys from Apocalyptica,
which is Also one of the most amazing bands I've heard, I can't believe they can make metal with Chellos, that is crazy to me, I Love Apocalyptica so much, I saw them live, amazing show,

I'm glad you mentioned Therion. Perfect example of Symphonic Metal. If you like hard music with more melody, research that genre specifically. The second band I listed in my first post is a Symphonic Metal band: Epica.

Therion pretty much invented the Symphonic Metal genre. And they singlehandedly got me interested in metal again. I loved Metallica and Megadeth when I was 14-16 years old, then I got into Punk/Hardcore for a number of years. Then it was Nine Inch Nails and Pink Floyd (still love both). But then one day I heard this song and it changed my life:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLYjRn--GI[/ame]

I actually heard it on the local college radio station and didn't hear who it was, but it started a search for any metal that incorporated melody/symphonic elements. It started with Power Metal (Blind Guardian), then Power Metal with symphonic elements (Rhapsody, Nightwish), and then finally I found Symphonic Metal. Bands like Epica, Within Temptation, and After Forever. I couldn't get enough. Years later I found that original Therion song (above). :)

Since then I've broadened out to love most forms of Metal. :rock

I could keep talking about this stuff, but I'm off to bed. :rip

Back