The Last of Us - PS3 & PS4 (Remastered)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 'The Last of Us' - new IP from Naughty Dog

Snappahead you just hate popular games :lol

Snappahead you just hate popular games :lol

That cant be it...I like Skyrim. I even liked CoD for a while. I must admit though, I never understand the popularity of Uncharted and I'll probably be scratching my head as a million gamers gush over The Last of Us. I'm sure it'll be very similar to the structure of Uncharted, so I'll be annoyed and everyone else will be calling it the greatest thing ever. The dumbest part is I know I'll buy it. I'll WANT to love it even though I'm sure I won't:slap

That cant be it...I like Skyrim. I even liked CoD for a while. I must admit though, I never understand the popularity of Uncharted and I'll probably be scratching my head as a million gamers gush over The Last of Us. I'm sure it'll be very similar to the structure of Uncharted, so I'll be annoyed and everyone else will be calling it the greatest thing ever. The dumbest part is I know I'll buy it. I'll WANT to love it even though I'm sure I won't:slap

That is pretty dumb.

I wouldn't mind if it were like Uncharted. We've no indication if it is, though, and making a blanket impression based on a trailer and the developer pedigree is quite presumptive. The gaming industry is big enough to support games of all types, and there is a large contingent of gamers who don't like the Uncharted type of experience, and they don't have to.

I do scratch my head over claims that they "don't understand" why any particular game genre strikes a chord with a large audience. I don't like CoD, but I understand why people love it. I don't like flight simulators, but I understand why people who buy those games like 'em.

And then there are those who will buy games they feel sure that they won't like. Way to vote with your dollar.

Here's a little snippet of what the experience is like.

It starts right after the ambush cutscene. In the smoking and totaled truck, Ellie tells Joel she's OK, and the passenger door flies open. A crazed attacker is on the young girl -- groping, grabbing and pulling. Ellie's clawing and screaming, Joel reaches for her, and another attacker throws open the driver's door and yanks Joel out. They tussle through a pane of glass, and the attacker holds Joel's head above a triangular piece of shattered weaponry.

The camera's tight here -- anchored with Joel's struggling head on the left side of the screen -- when the Square button pops up on the right. It's a patented struggle scene from developer Naughty Dog; the kind of stuff we've seen in so many Uncharted games before. The player taps the button over and over and Joel (the character we play as) raises his head. He's going to get out of it and save the day like Nathan Drake.

But in the final moment of the fight, Joel struggles to look over his right shoulder at the attacker, and there's this rage and desperation in his eye -- the vein's visible, his teeth are gritted. Joel breaks free, grabs the attacker's head and slams it into the triangle of glass. It enters at about the the Adam's apple, and the attacker rolls off the glass with a sickening wheeze and clutches the gaping, bloody hole in his throat. He collapses.

The Last of Us isn't Uncharted -- no matter how similar the button prompts look in this early build. And that's the thing: with a passing glance, you could make the case that this does look like Uncharted. Both are beautiful third-person action titles, the ammo icons are similar, and there's a moment where Joel lifts a gate for Ellie that seems pulled from Uncharted 3. But watching the game, that's where the argument falls apart.

After the impromptu tracheotomy, Joel shoots some bad guys from cover, slams one guy's face into the store counter, gets a 2x4 and gruesomely caves in another foe's skull. All this happens over time, of course. Joel moves from cover to cover and blows through his limited ammo in a flash. Throughout it all, there's blood and curses words.

The action is moving with the same fluidity of Uncharted and the polish Naughty Dog is known for, but it's devoid of the happy action. Joel and Ellie spend the next few minutes of the level sneaking around and stealth killing enemies, but there's no humor to it.

When Nathan Drake gets the drop on a pirate, he snaps the foe's neck in one cheery move -- usually with a one-liner tossed in. When Joel puts an unsuspecting attacker in a sleeper hold, the camera comes in tight, and they struggle. The man swings wildly at Joel, and Joel leans in to slowly suffocate the enemy. It's not quick. It's deliberate, upsetting.

That's what Naughty Dog said it's going for with The Last of Us. The team wants us to share the emotions of Joel and Ellie, and from the brief demo I saw -- filled with scavenging for bullets, a segmented health bar, and other humans being a larger threat than any monster -- it's working in a way Uncharted never did.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/17/the-last-of-us-sure-as-hell-isnt-uncharted

In terms of the button promts thing. I really hope the devs design them to blend with the tone of the game. In that demo on the new tomb raider game the prompts were black and white and sketch-like, which was more in keeping with the tone.

I never liked the Uncharted ones as they were these big colourful buttons on-screen, they just stand out as ugly. It might not seem important but i like corrosponding UI to the game.

Dead Space does it well with the blue holograms with segmented lines & Heavy Rain had it as bland & simple as possible to keep the focus on the action on the screen, even so far as to have the prompts shake about when the character was in distress

Last edited:

Sounds good so far. Though I wish they would've mentioned the scope. Perhaps they didn't get to see much of the game. I suppose.

I wouldn't mind if it were like Uncharted. We've no indication if it is, though, and making a blanket impression based on a trailer and the developer pedigree is quite presumptive. The gaming industry is big enough to support games of all types, and there is a large contingent of gamers who don't like the Uncharted type of experience, and they don't have to.

I do scratch my head over claims that they "don't understand" why any particular game genre strikes a chord with a large audience. I don't like CoD, but I understand why people love it. I don't like flight simulators, but I understand why people who buy those games like 'em.

And then there are those who will buy games they feel sure that they won't like. Way to vote with your dollar.

Hehe, you "don't understand" why someone like me doesn't understand a particular games popularity. You've never seen something that was popular and thought to yourself, why? Sure buddy.

As for buying something I know I might not like. It's just hope. I don't like renting, but once the price comes down on something, I don't mind giving it a shot because I don't know until I try. I can still respect a studio even if I don't like their games. Despite my feelings on the games themselves, I respect the amount time and effort they always put in.

Yup, that's right. Though I guess I could figure out reasons. Well, the immediate reason for many cases (that I usually try not to hastily conclude) is some sort of contrarian attitude against something's popularity. You see it all the time with stuff like Twilight or grown men who like My Little Pony. Not saying that Twilight is anything but awful to me, but I could wager some guesses as to why that stuff is popular. Not that Uncharted is like Twilight or anything. It's one thing if there are aspects of a game or movie (or any media) that is egregiously bad or bland, but I'd weigh in the consensus first.

My incredulity with your stance is that you mentioned Uncharted's gameplay as being pointless and that the series was an example of Naughty Dog overemphasizing the cinematics, but yet you couldnt imagine how a large audience would enjoy that type of structure or look past it and enjoy the story and setting. That's, from my perspective, whee the difference between my not understanding and yours. Its one thing to say that the gameplay is not to your liking (you're a bit vague on this), that's fine, but all video games are intrinsically pointless. I thought you'd understand, given that you said that you did enjoy CoD at one point or another.

I think you're just thinking about this too hard. Of course a percentage of people will like it. That's the case with anything...like My Little Pony. My surprise is how Uncharted is almost universally praised for being great. Savvy? I'm not saying "why does ANYONE like this game?" I'm saying "how does everyone but me like this game?" You see the difference? I'm not targeting something popular or some silly thing like that. As I stated already, I wanted to like this series as I appreciate the effort Naughty Dog puts into their games. I just didn't and was surprised to discover that very few people felt the same way I did.

Then all you were looking for were more people to validate your opinions. You're right, I put too much thought into this.

Hopefully we see some actual gameplay footage from The Last of us soon.

Then all you were looking for were more people to validate your opinions. You're right, I put too much thought into this.

Hopefully we see some actual gameplay footage from The Last of us soon.

LOL, ok dude. I simply stated my opinion. It's pretty obvious that I already knew that my opinion was a minority one. That was the whole point of my original comment.

And yeah, I hope to see gameplay footage soon.:1-1:

Was that the whole point of your original comment? I thought it was that you wondered why we were gushing over The Last of Us?

Was that the whole point of your original comment? I thought it was that you wondered why we were gushing over The Last of Us?

It was? Interesting. Were people gushing? Already? So far, we've seen a cut scene. A good cutscene, but still.

My original comment since I need to explain it for some reason, was to point out my reservations based on my experience with Naughty Dogs previous games. I gave an opinion. One that seems to really upset you for some reason. Are you going to be ok? It means a lot to me that you care so much about my comments, but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I like that you're so presumptuous about all of this. Not just the game, but your own eventual reactions to how you think people will feel about this game even though, as you said, we've only seen a non-gameplay cutscene. And yes, I get it, you have a minority opinion.

I also enjoy how obviously incendiary and leading your last few posts were.

I like that you're so presumptuous about all of this. Not just the game, but your own eventual reactions to how you think people will feel about this game even though, as you said, we've only seen a non-gameplay cutscene. And yes, I get it, you have a minority opinion.

I also enjoy how obviously incendiary and leading your last few posts were.

Liked all that? Awesome.

You use the word presumption a few times. Haven't you also presumed too? Haven't you already decided this is going to be a game you like? Based on what we've seen, the history of the developer and the description of the game demo, it's possible to make an educated guess. You guessing this is something good and I'm guessing this is going to be very similar to Uncharted and therefor probably not for me. What's the difference unless you're saying only positive assumption are allowed? I'm not even making negative assumptions. I'm making personal ones based on my feelings of past ND games. That's someone everyone does whether they say it out loud or even realize it.

You're doing it again. I've mentioned once in this entire thread that the game sounded good so far, but wished to know more about its scope. My presumptions begin and end with what I've seen/read of the game, not on ND's past history or how popular their series are in relation to how I feel about their games. My posts have hardly been about the games themselves, but but more on why you find linger so much on not just the perceived quality and universal praise of the games themselves, but how gamers en masse don't feel the same way you do.

Why do you presume to know the measure to which I like this game or the Uncharted series? I actually quite disliked U3.

Back