The Killing Joke animated film

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loved it from start to finish. As a Batgirl fan, the extra time for Batgirl development was great. Animation was iffy, but still a fun movie. I like that aspect of Babs and Bruce in a sexual relationship.

KEVIN CONROY MARK HAMILL
KEVIN CONROY MARK HAMILL
KEVIN CONROY MARK HAMILL
KEVIN CONROY MARK HAMILL

They're overexposed and overrated by the fan base, i.e. smelly man babies.

I wouldn't care if they never do voice work for Batman or the Joker ever again. We've seen their "range" and I've gotten my fill of them between the various shows, movies, and games over the past 24 years. They got their Killing Joke movie, albeit a crappy one, the end.

It's about time someone said it :lol

Nothing worse than Fanboys claiming these two "are Batman and Joker" when all they do is lend their voice to the characters. To be honest Weller's performance in TDKR has been my favorite performance for Batman in the animated movies so far, and whoever voiced Batman in Arkham Origins smoked Conroy in my opinion. Conroy can never nail the emotional scenes and Hamill is way too goofy to ever make Joker intimidating in my opinion, they lack nuance. They worked for the WB cartoon for kids but not the darker animated movies. It also might just be we've seen all they have to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd bone Batgirl too if I were Batman. Then again, I don't have any self control compared to the guy that has dedicated his life to fighting crime.

BUT, I dunno, it all seemed forced and lacked the spirit of the Alan Moore story. Would have been better if it was one sided and Barbara was the one that was pining for the Bat-D but Batman only viewed her as a surrogant daughter because of Jim Gordon and such. Kind of unprofessional and amateur of Batman. The whole thing with her telling the gay librarian friend about the affair and the "yoga instructor" thing was awful. Makes Batman look childish like a soap opera or something.

Cut out all that crap and focus on the Joker, Batman and the animation budget and maybe you'd have had something good, worthy to be out in theaters.

Last edited:
Just finished watching it and I enjoyed it. I read the comic and honestly the added Batgirl scenes didn't bother me and I thought it was good. Even the relationship between Barbara and Batman didn't bother me. They never showed them having sex and it really made it a private moment and so it made her scenes when the joker showing up even more emotional. Slow pacing at times but it still s good I even didn't mind the animation. A worthy watch and it made my day better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Just finished watching it and I enjoyed it. I read the comic and honestly the added Batgirl scenes didn't bother me and I thought it was good. Even the relationship between Barbara and Batman didn't bother me. They never showed them having sex and it really made it a private moment and so it made her scenes when the joker showing up even more emotional. Slow pacing at times but it still s good I even didn't mind the animation. A worthy watch and it made my day better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Couldn't have said it better myself.

:hi5:

I lurk from time to time -- just too busy to participate in any discussions. DEATHASYLUM has been sending me text messages when new things pop up.
Good! :hi5: miss the gang. Heard about skull and I hope he returns someday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It's about time someone said it :lol

Nothing worse than Fanboys claiming these two "are Batman and Joker" when all they do is lend their voice to the characters. To be honest Weller's performance in TDKR has been my favorite performance for Batman in the animated movies so far, and whoever voiced Batman in Arkham Origins smoked Conroy in my opinion. Conroy can never nail the emotional scenes and Hamill is way too goofy to ever make Joker intimidating in my opinion, they lack nuance. They worked for the WB cartoon for kids but not the darker animated movies. It also might just be we've seen all they have to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel the same way :D

Cut out all that crap and focus on the Joker, Batman and the animation budget and maybe you'd have had something good, worthy to be out in theaters.

That's a good point. The animation SUCKED. Instead of stretching that budget thin by producing over a half hour of mindless filler, they could have used the ENTIRE budget to make a shorter cartoon that actually looks GOOD. I'd have vastly preferred having just 45 minutes of The Killing Joke if the animation was smooth, more detailed, and actually looked like Bolland's art. I'd rather have 45 minutes of quality than a longer runtime padded with filler.

Release it as a 45 minute movie. Pad the DVD with interviews, documentaries, old BTAS episodes as a bonus.

Seems almost universally agreed that this was a giant turd. Oh well. The PC police can try to retcon it all they want, but we can always go back and read the original, non-recolored graphic novel. Yes, it's dark, disturbing, there is murder, sexual assault, etc etc. But it's a product of its time. Life isn't fair. Bad things DO happen to good people.

Bought this last week, but just got around to watching it last night. the batgirl stuff I thought was OK, until they rubbed bellies. but if you skip the first 30 minutes, it's pure fan service. some panels were even animated straight from the page. Conroy phoned it in a bit, but Hammil perfect as ever.

Overall 7/10.

Doesn't even come close to TDKR pt1 and 2.

I think having Bruce Timm involved in this was a mistake, from the Barbara/Batgirl focus, to the art direction to the animation.

Even though I absolutely love BT, I have to agree. The animation didn't bug me as much as it did others it seems, but the batgirl stuff is :sick

BT is deeeed. Barryyy it. Consider diss mercy.

:lol

Release it as a 45 minute movie. Pad the DVD with interviews, documentaries, old BTAS episodes as a bonus.

:goodpost:

or make it a double feature, they could have animated Azzarello's Joker and included it. He did write the screenplay for this.

I thought it was decent. It if had been two SEPERATE films, it'd been even better. I don't know why Timm thought putting those first 30 minutes or so in front of Killing Joke was a good idea. It wasn't. They're unconnected. I disagree about Hamill and Conroy phoning it in though. I think they're just getting older but they're both still effective and as a longtime animated series fan, I must admit their voices are like warm blankets to me. Comforting.

as a longtime animated series fan, I must admit their voices are like warm blankets to me. Comforting.

n0VZY8X.gif

Don't know why some people are hating on Conroy and Hamill. It's cool if you don't like them, but for a lot of people they portray the definitive versions of Batman and Joker. The Arkham games were so great with them. Plus, as someone who is a long time comic reader. It's always Conroy & Hamill's voices in my head when I read a Batman series.

13879474_10207475757516420_5454810087629241128_n.jpg

Someone posted this in a Facebook group I'm in and I died.:lol

:rotfl

It's just such a weird paring.

...until you notice Bruce Timm worked on it and then you completely understand who put it in the film.

Back