The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was great. Can't believe anyone would find it boring. Going to take Mom this weekend and watch it in 2D.

This was the clearest I've ever seen the Hobbit movies. I didn't mind the CGI at all. I think the reason why Azog looks "cartoony" to some is his color and eyes. I think he would look more "real" if he was darker.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Gotta work tomorrow. Got a text message this before leaving to the theater that my sub was very late and made quite a mess of things, so I'm not looking forward to going in. :(

Why are movies being released well before their release date nowadays? What's the point in having release dates if theatres can show them well before the intended release?

who knows, nothing is perfect anyway or it is perfect to some. there's time zone difference. there's element of marketing; maybe they want more viewer to use/pay for IMAX 3D. Mr. Green's the cheap bastard who wants to see early so he only pay $6, at 10 am. anything viewing before 12:00pm is $6 and not like $8-9 for after. thinks its 12 in nyc.

I liked how Thorin's dragon sickness is analgous to Jackson's obsession with CGI. I wonder if he meant it? :lol

Just got back from seeing the marathon! Wether it's theatrical or a home screening or a combo, it's the only way to see it IMO. Although, if the intermission between films was closer to 21 hours instead of 25 minutes, that might have been a good thing. Admittedly, had we seen the films before, I think I'd feel differently.

I know Tolkien "cordially disliked" allegory and strove for writing tales that are "applicable" to their audience allowing them the freedom to read into them what they may based on how ever the material hits them. And it really shows in this trilogy, otherwise the movies would have felt like the battle of five World War I armies instead of something that resonates today. Personally, I couldn't stop thinking of the Middle East with oil being the treasure and the plight of the Palestinians and inequality of wealth distribution and the religious-like fervor of the orcs. None of those elements linked up in any coherent way so there were no preachy statements about the situation. It just helped add weight to the drama and maybe a sense of empathy.

I liked how Thorin's dragon sickness is analgous to Jackson's obsession with CGI. I wonder if he meant it? :lol

wow.... never thought of it like that
the same way Lucas went to the dark side and pretty much became the emperor :lol, Jesus they really are becoming the same :lol

Why are movies being released well before their release date nowadays? What's the point in having release dates if theatres can show them well before the intended release?

I saw it early because of the marathon. According to PJ, it was for the die-hard fans.

I understand what you mean though. Movies used to be only be shown early for midnight showings, now they moved the time to 7 or 8 pm the day before.

Are they still bothering with the 48fps versions of this or did they give up the ghost?

I saw it in HFR 3D. I thought it looked awesome. Better than the first time I saw it. Not sure if it was just the theater or not though.

Just got back from seeing the marathon! Wether it's theatrical or a home screening or a combo, it's the only way to see it IMO. Although, if the intermission between films was closer to 21 hours instead of 25 minutes, that might have been a good thing. Admittedly, had we seen the films before, I think I'd feel differently.

I know Tolkien "cordially disliked" allegory and strove for writing tales that are "applicable" to their audience allowing them the freedom to read into them what they may based on how ever the material hits them. And it really shows in this trilogy, otherwise the movies would have felt like the battle of five World War I armies instead of something that resonates today. Personally, I couldn't stop thinking of the Middle East with oil being the treasure and the plight of the Palestinians and inequality of wealth distribution and the religious-like fervor of the orcs. None of those elements linked up in any coherent way so there were no preachy statements about the situation. It just helped add weight to the drama and maybe a sense of empathy.

We had 15 minutes in between.

I didn't think of any of that kind of thing. I don't want to think about world stuff when I go to movies. :(

I saw it in HFR 3D. I thought it looked awesome. Better than the first time I saw it. Not sure if it was just the theater or not though.

I opted for regular 3D as 2D wasn't available. I will see it in HFR though at somepoint.

We had 15 minutes in between.

I didn't think of any of that kind of thing. I don't want to think about world stuff when I go to movies. :(

We had more than that between each movie and I didn't really think about stuff like that either. I really just let myself sink into the world infront of me.

I saw the trilogy on IMAX last night and the movie sucked because my favorite character died right at the beginning. :mad: :lol

Overall it was enjoyable but the end didn't have the same feels for me as RotK. I was expecting it would come close so I was surprised when it didn't.

I could have done without the Tauriel and Kili romance stuff as it seemed kind of forced as was Legolas' screen time but it is what it is and it didn't cause me to not enjoy it.

The White Council at Dol Goldur was bad ass, only small thing I would say is I would have preferred if the nine were in their previous ethereal style like in AUJ and FotR but the new form was definitely cool.

I held off not pre-listening to the end song by Billy Boyd and although it was great and I enjoyed it, it didn't come close to stirring up the same level of emotion that Into the West did.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again on Friday night with the family.

Back