The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the ending would've been more emotional for me if I hadn't read the book and/or sat through the other two movies before seeing it.

And I loved the little romance between Kili and Tauriel. Unnecessary, but sweet non the less.

I saw the marathon yesterday. We had about 5 minutes between each. More, if you left during the credits.

To me, it's probably the best way to see these movies. Many of the "sins" of past movies melted away in context, I thought. I do think it would have been better to end Desolation with the death of Smaug, though. I just think it would have made that movie stronger.

The battle at Dol Goldur was amazing.

I sort of wish we'd had a bit more closure ala ROTK, even though people make fun of all the endings. I guess I'd like to have seen Beorn and Radagast a bit more at the end, see Bilbo get his troll chest (if you hadn't read the book I guess you just assume the dwarves gave him the chest, although he said it stinks of troll in the first movie) and seen what became of Tauriel.

3 seconds of Beorn and what they did to Dain was inexcusable. Bonus points for ham fisted Strider reference.

Bonus points for ham fisted Strider reference.

Yeah, that was pretty blah. I sort of just gave them that one. It wouldn't have been bad if they'd left it more generic, having Thranduil suggest the north as a place to find his destiny or whatever. Actually, the Legolas/Thranduil stuff was the least satisfying for me. I hope we see more in the Extended cut. The sudden mention of Legolas's mom and the parting words... it never QUITE gelled for me. I think it was meant to tie into Tauriel's final words about how much love hurts, as though that's why Thranduil was so distant (because of the loss of his true love.) But... I don't know, it all felt a little unearned because it wasn't introduced earlier. The father/son relationship was pretty weak between them.

This review pretty much sums it up: Review: The Battle Of The Five Armies brings the Hobbit trilogy to a plodding finish · Movie Review · The A.V. Club

and this idea keeps coming through

"Try as he might to re-spark the Middle-Earth magic, though, Jackson has produced something closer in spirit to the Star Wars prequels—an inferior second trilogy that replaces tactile wonders with flat CGI attractions, reduces a fully realized fantasy world to a series of digital screen savers, and nods constantly to the better movies that came before. On the plus side, you don’t have to see it in a ghastly 48 frames per second."

The only thing missing from the review were comments on the terrible dialogue and the horrendous overuse of Alfred as a major character.

3 seconds of Beorn and what they did to Dain was inexcusable. Bonus points for ham fisted Strider reference.

There will be more Beorn in the EE I would be willing to be. I liked Dain myself and the Strider reference was a nice little touch.

This review pretty much sums it up: Review: The Battle Of The Five Armies brings the Hobbit trilogy to a plodding finish · Movie Review · The A.V. Club

"Try as he might to re-spark the Middle-Earth magic, though, Jackson has produced something closer in spirit to the Star Wars prequels—an inferior second trilogy that replaces tactile wonders with flat CGI attractions, reduces a fully realized fantasy world to a series of digital screen savers, and nods constantly to the better movies that came before. On the plus side, you don’t have to see it in a ghastly 48 frames per second."

The only thing missing from the review were comments on the terrible dialogue and the horrendous overuse of Alfred as a major character.

There are plenty of positive reviews out there. This one shares your opinion and that's fine but let's not pass off your opinion or this reviewers as how many are taking this movie or this trilogy. Besides you had your mind made up before you went in that you wouldn't like it and you've shared that several times. Probably best to move on now.

I actually thought the AV Club was atypically lazy, to be honest. But, I never expected this to be a critical darling nor do I particularly care what the critics think, though overall the reaction seems to be pretty favorable.

There will be more Beorn in the EE I would be willing to be. I liked Dain myself and the Strider reference was a nice little touch.

There are plenty of positive reviews out there. This one shares your opinion and that's fine but let's not pass off your opinion or this reviewers as how many are taking this movie or this trilogy. Besides you had your mind made up before you went in that you wouldn't like it and you've shared that several times. Probably best to move on now.

Or no.

This forum is for discussion. I'm discussing the negative aspects of the film; you can discuss the positives. Or are you trying to stop someone posting a view that you simply dislike? Hmm.

The dialogue and look for Dain was great but everyone is still perplexed at the moment as to why they chose to hit him with the cgi brush also.

Or no.

This forum is for discussion. I'm discussing the negative aspects of the film; you can discuss the positives. Or are you trying to stop someone posting a view that you simply dislike? Hmm.

Not trying to stop anything. Frankly, I really don't care what you think about the film or films. If you're going to moan and groan about it add something new.

The dialogue and look for Dain was great but everyone is still perplexed at the moment as to why they chose to hit him with the cgi brush also.

There was a moment when he had a close up and there was so much CGI it looked like he was airbrushed to the max; almost like he was wearing really heavy makeup. I do love Billy Connolly though. I'm surprised at how much swearing they let him get away with.

I guess we'll have to wait for the EE to find out what they used on him. He looked mocapped in that uncanny valley way.

Pretty much.

Peter Jackson was so obsessed with making more Middle Earth films that it clouded his conscious. Stretching The Hobbit story over three films was a horrible idea. PJ had to fill the gaps with something and it wasn't anything good.

I've read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings multiple times. I love the LOTR film trilogy. But I just can't get into "The Hobbit" trilogy.

I was really hyped for these films. Especially after the first teaser trailer (when it was just two). But I felt nothing but disappointment after watching AUJ and DoS. BotFA sounds like it will be just as disappointing, if not more so.

They're not completely bad. Jackson does get some things right. But the bad outweigh the good.

I guess the One Ring doesn't have such a hold over me. :wink1:

Maybe some skilled fans who feel the same way will edit these films into a worthy adaptation of the book?

Pretty much.

Peter Jackson was so obsessed with making more Middle Earth films that it clouded his conscious. Stretching The Hobbit story over three films was a horrible idea. PJ had to fill the gaps with something and it wasn't anything good.

I've read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings multiple times. I love the LOTR film trilogy. But I just can't get into "The Hobbit" trilogy.

I was really hyped for these films. Especially after the first teaser trailer (when it was just two). But I felt nothing but disappointment after watching AUJ and DoS. BotFA sounds like it will be just as disappointing, if not more so.

They're not completely bad. Jackson does get some things right. But the bad outweigh the good.

I guess the One Ring doesn't have such a hold over me. :wink1:

Maybe some skilled fans who feel the same way will edit these films into a worthy adaptation of the book?
:goodpost: :clap :clap :exactly:

:pray::pray::pray:

That's the only way I'll bother with this series again. I love the LotR EE Trilogy. I was pumped for this but let down by AUJ and never bothered with DoS. I don't intend on watching this one either in its full runtime.

Or no.

I'm just curious. What did you think of that last Bale Batman movie?

I'm just curious. What did you think of that last Bale Batman movie?

It had its moments but it was quite a let down overall. I prefer Batman Begins if I had to choose a Nolan film but I'm more a fan of the Burton films.

And I'm not out to bash the Hobbit films; I'm genuinely gutted I didn't like them. I wanted to. I love LOTR but a lot of reviews recently have all hit upon the mistakes a lot of people are saying Jackson has made. I get the feeling that people here will defend them to the Nth degree and will even force themselves to like them because they can't face up to the idea that actually, they've been a let down.

In both LotR and The Hobbit, I prefer the movies. Some of you of prefer the books. That's okay.

I don't think as written, The Hobbit would've made a good movie. It lacks depth. It's too simple.

I've learned a long time ago when I used to read a lot of Stephen King, you should NEVER expect the movie to be like the book. Sometimes it just can't or doesn't work. Sometimes it's better.

Did I like every aspect of The Hobbit? No, but I didn't the LotRs either. But to say it's garbage or whatever, well, I just can't grasp it.

Glad it was made. Glad I saw it. Will see it again during my two week holiday. :)

Back