The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Hobbit: There and Back Again

I feel bad that we have turned this into a History of Middle-earth thread.

It's alright. If it helps people learn more about the subject matter that's a good thing.

If Hollywood still wants to keep the money train going there still more material. Started with LOTR, then The Hobbit, keep going back and there's still the larger work.

Gotta get the rights to the rest of it first. I don't see CT selling those anytime soon.

Nah. There is no potential for anything else until after CT passes.

Nah. There is no potential for anything else until after CT passes.

The estate sure kicks a ***** up if they think they aren't getting their fair share though. I remember a big deal being made because they didn't think they were getting enough from the slot machine sales or something.

And they sell the movies books on their book website.

Guess the movies aren't that bad. :lol

Maybe if WB isn't involved?

I'll probably be in a nursing home by then anyway. :lol

Gotta get the rights to the rest of it first. I don't see CT selling those anytime soon.

Just reading info online about The Silmarillion and it would be one difficult book to film. You'd have to pick 2 or 3 stories that in someway connected.

Just reading info online about The Silmarillion and it would be one difficult book to film. You'd have to pick 2 or 3 stories that in someway connected.

Can't do it, it would have to have long intros, films on seperate chapters. Children of Hurin would make a good 3hr flick

The silmarillion would need to be at least 6 films, if PJ is directing make that 12 films...christopher tolkien is 89..when he goes..they will be itching to make more Tolkien films by any means...Its big money..

Yeah, it would be damn near impossible to film.

Difficult maybe, but not impossible. Silmarillion covered a much longer time span, Hobbit and LOTR was a lot shorter. More than enough characters and even dialogue to adapt to a screen play if done well. There was mention in another thread the idea of HBO doing it as a series, which doesn't sound like a bad idea. Events in Sil make other events in Hobbit and LOTR almost tame in comparison.

Difficult maybe, but not impossible. Silmarillion covered a much longer time span, Hobbit and LOTR was a lot shorter. More than enough characters and even dialogue to adapt to a screen play if done well. There was mention in another thread the idea of HBO doing it as a series, which doesn't sound like a bad idea. Events in Sil make other events in Hobbit and LOTR almost tame in comparison.

Silmarilion will require lots of narration of stuff or "3 years later" written on the screen

Silmarilion will require lots of narration of stuff or "3 years later" written on the screen

No doubt, but there are plenty of movies that have done that.
Shawshank Redemption, based on a short story that took place over years with narration throughout...

Sil can be done, people just got to want to make it happen.

If F Duramount does it I'm all in

Tame is pretty much right. I never knew a good chunk of middle-earth sunk into the ocean during the War of Wrath.

Before I found that out I was trying to see where Angband and Gondolin were on a TA Map of middle-earth. No wonder I couldn't find them!:panic::panic:

I think if that happened, someone might literally have to come over and scrape me off the floor. That would be just too amazing, so good I almost wish I never read it, because it probably won't happen.

I just want a Children of Hurin movie. If I can get that at least, I will be quite satisfied. More films of independent tales from the Silmarillion would always be welcome, though.

Tame is pretty much right. I never knew a good chunk of middle-earth sunk into the ocean during the War of Wrath.

Before I found that out I was trying to see where Angband and Gondolin were on a TA Map of middle-earth. No wonder I couldn't find them!:panic::panic:

Only thing left from first age maps are bits of the blue mountains(left on a ME map and lower right on a first age map

Back