The Expanding Universe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michio Kaku is awesome! I love the way he simplifies things so that they are easily understandable.

I really have no respect for the Big Bang theory. In my opinion, it's an illogical conjecture that the expanding Universe was set off by an explosion from a massive point singularity, when actual astronomical observations have proved that such a beginning is improbable. The Universe is homogeneous in every possible way, and no matter where you point a telescope in the sky, it all looks the same, with galaxies, stars, nebulae. Why is it that even the most distant objects that were discovered so far are developed galaxies? Shouldn't it have been primordial gas clouds, instead?

The cosmic microwave background (which is used to measure the Universe's expanse) is also separated by enormous gaps, while having the same temperature, and traveling at the speed of light. This means that the microwave background was never connected at any point in time - and let alone, in an explosive expansion that originated from a point singularity.

Of course, there are theories to contend with those observations, and explain why The Big Bang has to be right, beyond a reasonable doubt :lol. In the end, I think it takes as much faith to believe in this stuff, as it does a religious person who believes that God created everything out of the ether.

:exactly: great post bud..especially that last paragraph

Proxima Centauri has a planet.

https://venturebeat.com/2016/08/27/scientists-find-earth-like-planet-circling-suns-nearest-neighbor/

But, for me, the most interesting part of the article was this. The development of small crafts that can travel 1/5 light speed :thud:

The discovery announced on Wednesday is expected to bolster a $100 million project unveiled in April and backed by Russian billionaire Yuri Milner to develop a miniature laser-powered spacecraft that can make the trip to the Alpha Centauri system in about 20 years.

“We hope to build a whole system that will send nanocraft to Proxima Centauri and Alpha Centauri within a generation,” said Worden, the executive director of Breakthrough Starshot, an initiative that aims to deploy thousands of tiny spacecraft to travel to our nearest neighboring star system and send back pictures.

20 years....

That is the most interesting thing about the Universe to me, the distance of everything.

Proxima Centauri has a planet.

https://venturebeat.com/2016/08/27/scientists-find-earth-like-planet-circling-suns-nearest-neighbor/

But, for me, the most interesting part of the article was this. The development of small crafts that can travel 1/5 light speed :thud:

Damn, that's some pretty earth-shattering news. That would make it the closest planet to us, by a huge margin. If it is indeed an Earth like planet, we may have found our first literal "step" traveling in interstellar space.

20 years....

That is the most interesting thing about the Universe to me, the distance of everything.

And we have no idea what the size of the Universe is, only theories. Look up "Dark Matter" if you don't know about it, and that will blow your mind.

Last edited:
I think I remember reading an article that said, there's probably someone out there right now that will live to 150 years old. Our lifespans probably will continue to increase over hundreds of years. Just look how it's increased in the past hundred years or more with modern medicine.

And NASA...

How did I miss this thread?

You know, it's crazy in that when I look at the stars, it makes me questions how petty social issues are on this earth. There's so much out there to explore and understand, while we're here debating whether or not people are offended by an all red cup or by wearing certain clothing.

So I also really just started to get into physics. I find a lot of psychology can be explained by physics and that's where I began learning more (total amateur). Also, I had some existential concerns and fears but physics helped me actually cope with that (life after death stuff and beyond).

I really wish I had the inclination to learn about astrophysics now that I didn't have when actually being in school... it's a bottomless well of new fascinating theories and facts.

I was deathly afraid of death a few years ago, but I've learned to deal with it. Science cannot explain everything, so that can always leave a possibility of some formless consciousness living on in some form.

I really wish I had the inclination to learn about astrophysics now that I didn't have when actually being in school... it's a bottomless well of new fascinating theories and facts.

I was deathly afraid of death a few years ago, but I've learned to deal with it. Science cannot explain everything, so that can always leave a possibility of some formless consciousness living on in some form.

Agreed. I really wished that I took a few courses in college for my science component. It's so damn fascinating.

I looked to physics for my death anxiety as I realized that our electrical energy doesn't necessarily die with our bodies. That's what really gave me hope about things. I was questioning if collecting was even worth it but this new insight really helped me cope with that and depression. Our energy doesn't necessarily die but it transfers. I guess that leaves me hope and excitement on continuing afterwards in some form or another.

I started reading some empirical books focusing on life after death experiences. They did a factor analysis, blah blah blah and found MANY similarities that people experience in those moments (those who medically die, but are brought back or resuscitated).

Back