The Expanding Universe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be easier to think about if you didn't give it a shape.

Shapes have edges, and unless there is such thing as Nothing, there is no edge to Everything.

Man, I'd bring up high redshifts if I knew I wouldn't Arp on about it. :wacky

It might be easier to think about if you didn't give it a shape.

Shapes have edges, and unless there is such thing as Nothing, there is no edge to Everything.

Well, since the Big Bang was an explosion of energy. Would it be safe to assume that the fabric of space is a sphere? I can't wrap my mind around it being anything but that.

Being flat seems ridiculous. Although I could almost accept the doughnut theory. What leads me to believe it has or had a shape is that it started out as the smallest objects in our reality's history so it couldn't necessarily be formless.

Man, I'd bring up high redshifts if I knew I wouldn't Arp on about it. :wacky

I know they just found a redshifted Galaxy which is supposed to be the furthest thing ever found so far.

Last edited:
It boggles the mind how crazy the Universe is. I feel faint just thinking about it sometimes :thud:

It is truly amazing, when you think that we see things as they were, things that no longer exist and things that never existed ay the same time!

This always gets me....

Think of this, there are two stars in the sky we are looking at, star A and Star B. They are both right "next" to each other.

Star A 's light is just reaching earth, although it died out millions of years ago.

Star B is only a few light years away and was born long after Star A died.

Yet they are both in our sky and being observed at the same time, though they never existed together as we see them!!

It is truly amazing, when you think that we see things as they were, things that no longer exist and things that never existed ay the same time!

This always gets me....

Think of this, there are two stars in the sky we are looking at, star A and Star B. They are both right "next" to each other.

Star A 's light is just reaching earth, although it died out millions of years ago.

Yet they are both in our sky and being observed at the same time, though they never existed together as we see them!!

I never looked at it that way. Although that would lead to thinking just about everything within out galactic neighborhood isn't there anymore.

VY Canis Majoris, the largest star found thus far is 4,900 light years away and and IIRC wasn't far off from finally becoming a Supernova. It probably already happened.

I thought I was the only one who has these thoughts. I give myself a headache sometimes trying to make sense of it all. I try to discuss it with my wife and she's no help. A friend of mine, Atac Imamoglu, is a well known physicist who is currently working on quantum optics and quantum computation. I tell him that I'm a closet physicist without the math skills. Sometimes I only understand half of what he tells me, and the other half, I pretend to understand.

I'm of the belief that there was something that had to exist when the Big Bang occurred. The space to which everything expanded outward had to be present for the energy to exist within. I believe that if you went in one direction far enough, you would end up back where you started. I believe in the multiverse theory. Dark matter and dark energy have me a little concerned. I believe things can exist within a black hole and can possibly escape.

I want to know, if all suns are stars, are all stars suns?

We are always shown space in a direct line going away from us. What happens if we should go straight up? Or straight down?

If a space ship could go ultra fast, like in Star Trek, what would keep it from crashing into any number of items in space?

If a ship were to go fast enough to get across the galaxy/universe within that beings lifetime, how could the body of the being keep from being crushed by gravity, especially when it is maneuvering. Quick turns, start and stops, etc?

Lastly, if an alien craft were to enter our atmosphere and land here, how would they possible know the correct angle of entry and speed at which to enter so as to not burn up?

Just a few things I wonder about.

Well a space ship could never reach the Star Trek speeds going at lightspeed, it would gain mass the faster it went and eventually would reach terminal velocity and never reach full lightspeed.

There are theories on how warp drive would work, I forget the explanation though. In all honesty, the only faster than light travel that seems to work is the gravity drive that was in Event Horizon. But I don't know how we could generate enough energy to create an artificial black hole and calibrate it to go where we choose.

And to answer your question on why they don't collide with anything at that speed is beyond me. Look at any Star Wars or Star Trek episode/film. They all do it, but Han Solo said that they need to plot a course so they won't end up flying through a star.

Well a space ship could never reach the Star Trek speeds going at lightspeed, it would gain mass the faster it went and eventually would reach terminal velocity and never reach full lightspeed.

There are theories on how warp drive would work, I forget the explanation though. In all honesty, the only faster than light travel that seems to work is the gravity drive that was in Event Horizon. But I don't know how we could generate enough energy to create an artificial black hole and calibrate it to go where we choose.

And to answer your question on why they don't collide with anything at that speed is beyond me. Look at any Star Wars or Star Trek episode/film. They all do it, but Han Solo said that they need to plot a course so they won't end up flying through a star.

I know the Star Wars/Star Trek thing is mostly sci-fi, but how would hey plot a course to avoid moving objects such as asteroids. :slap

I know the Star Wars/Star Trek thing is mostly sci-fi, but how would hey plot a course to avoid moving objects such as asteroids. :slap

Especially since everything in space is constantly moving. No matter how well you got space mapped, you can't account for every single asteroid. And they're moving so fast they wouldn't even be able to react fast enough to avoid anything.

Especially since everything in space is constantly moving. No matter how well you got space mapped, you can't account for every single asteroid. And they're moving so fast they wouldn't even be able to react fast enough to avoid anything.

Exactly :lecture

I'm utterly fascinated by the Universe in general - these days i'm trying to wrap my head around Quantum theory...seriously wtf.

I do believe that 'nothing' can exist however. Both before the big bang and beyond the confines of the Universe. But that has more to do with faith than factual evidence. And no i'm not trying to bring religion into it.

I can accept nothing before the BB, but there would need to be other universes existing outside this one for me to accept that.

Well, since the Big Bang was an explosion of energy. Would it be safe to assume that the fabric of space is a sphere? I can't wrap my mind around it being anything but that.

What if there wasn't a big bang? For starters, what is the matter in the origin expanding into? Nothingness?

Snake Plissken said:
Being flat seems ridiculous. Although I could almost accept the doughnut theory. What leads me to believe it has or had a shape is that it started out as the smallest objects in our reality's history so it couldn't necessarily be formless.

If it started out as an object...if it didn't, then what?

Snake Plissken said:
I know they just found a redshifted Galaxy which is supposed to be the furthest thing ever found so far.

Awesome. Do you know how far it is from us?

Last edited:
I really have no respect for the Big Bang theory. In my opinion, it's an illogical conjecture that the expanding Universe was set off by an explosion from a massive point singularity, when actual astronomical observations have proved that such a beginning is improbable. The Universe is homogeneous in every possible way, and no matter where you point a telescope in the sky, it all looks the same, with galaxies, stars, nebulae. Why is it that even the most distant objects that were discovered so far are developed galaxies? Shouldn't it have been primordial gas clouds, instead?

The cosmic microwave background (which is used to measure the Universe's expanse) is also separated by enormous gaps, while having the same temperature, and traveling at the speed of light. This means that the microwave background was never connected at any point in time - and let alone, in an explosive expansion that originated from a point singularity.

Of course, there are theories to contend with those observations, and explain why The Big Bang has to be right, beyond a reasonable doubt :lol. In the end, I think it takes as much faith to believe in this stuff, as it does a religious person who believes that God created everything out of the ether.

It's important to remember how galactically ignorant we really are regarding the cosmos. Just in case!

I've always found the idea of Black Holes interesting. They're the most powerful thing in the Universe and you can't even see it unless there is something in the background. The theory is that it would distort and bend the image behind it. The idea that something can bend and eat light is crazy. You can't fathom light as a tangible medium.
We still don't know that yet. I mean, black holes are among the most powerful cosmic bodies that have been known to exist. But there might be something even more powerful. I remember watching a video about it.

Being flat seems ridiculous. Although I could almost accept the doughnut theory. What leads me to believe it has or had a shape is that it started out as the smallest objects in our reality's history so it couldn't necessarily be formless
It need not be having any definite shape IMO if it indeed started out as an explosion.

This always gets me....

Oh **** yeah! :rock

This always gets me....

I was standing on a hill a few years back and shouted at my mates standing a few hundred metres away. It took a couple of seconds before they turned around to see where the shout was coming from. Had one of them been talking to another at exactly the same time as my shout reached them, it'd be a similar effect but with sound rather than light - two voices uttered at different points in time but perceived by the listener at the same point in time.

They used to think that one of Jupiter's moons didn't obey Newtonian mechanics. Then Einstein showed up, calculated with the speed of light in mind, and suddenly the moon was in a perfect Newtonian orbit.

Back