The end of 3D so soon?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoyed 3D movies when the first started showing up and was still on board up to Avatar. But after that I went to one too many post production 3D films and that just killed the fun. And of course its one of those things that quickly oversaturated film.

And I have no interest in having a 3D TV in my own home though. But if my next TV is compatible I won't be bothered by it... just wouldn't pay extra for the feature as it seems like it would be an annoyance.

Good, ____ 3D.

Oh, and I said this would happen 2 years ago and a bunch of douches here laughed at me and said this was the future of how we would watch movies at TV.

:lol same here ! I have this debate almost everyday with some of my friends. They insist it'll get bigger while I'm saying it will die a fast death. I'm big time into home theater and I refuse to watch or want anything to do with 3D crap.

Last edited:
Can't we just skip over 3D and go straight to 36DD.

Hey, didn't that crazy pastor also predict that it was the end of 3D a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
:blissy

Screw 3D movies. Let it ____ing die. Hated them from the getgo. When they can get the tech to do it without glasses (perfectly and from all viewing angles), and without eye strain then I'll be in.

I have a 3D TV and I love it. I don't HAVE to watch anything in the 3D, but I like having the option. Do ALL movies need to be in 3D? Hell no. Yes, it's a gimmick. But it's one I happen to enjoy. I don't get headaches or eyestrain. But I guess I'm in the minority (although I have a feeling that a large chunk of people who _____ about 3D do so because it's the cool thing to do nowadays)

To be honest, I wasn't sold on 3D for the home theatre. But I got a 3DTV for a damn good price, that included a 3D BD player and 2 pairs of active glasses. So I bit, not anticipating actually using the 3D. But then I fell in love. Granted, there's not much content up here (Canada). No 3D channels (save for a preview one on my digital cable that's just a loop) so I'm basically relegated to watching my 3D BD's over and over. But it didn't cost me anything extra (aside from buying a couple more pairs of glasses) so I'm not complaining. As long as I can get the 3D BD's for roughly the same price (sometimes cheaper) than the regular BD price I'll keep buying them.

So am I sad to hear that 3D is probably on the downward slide...? A little. But I think it's in direct relation to how the studios have handled it's marketing and push into the consumer market. Poorly post-converted films, too many (unnecessary) releases, too high a charge for the 3D versions, along with manufacturer exclusives on the retail side, put a bad taste in a lot of consumers mouth. So yes. There's going to be a backlash. I think that's all it is at this point. IF they better handle 3D in the near future they it should stick around for some time.

'Their' biggest mistake was handling it as anything but a niche market. I don't think it has the ability to go mainstream, nor do I think it needs to. But, they saw the $$$ and jumped in head first.

I have a 3D TV and I love it. I don't HAVE to watch anything in the 3D, but I like having the option. Do ALL movies need to be in 3D? Hell no. Yes, it's a gimmick. But it's one I happen to enjoy. I don't get headaches or eyestrain. But I guess I'm in the minority (although I have a feeling that a large chunk of people who _____ about 3D do so because it's the cool thing to do nowadays)

To be honest, I wasn't sold on 3D for the home theatre. But I got a 3DTV for a damn good price, that included a 3D BD player and 2 pairs of active glasses. So I bit, not anticipating actually using the 3D. But then I fell in love. Granted, there's not much content up here (Canada). No 3D channels (save for a preview one on my digital cable that's just a loop) so I'm basically relegated to watching my 3D BD's over and over. But it didn't cost me anything extra (aside from buying a couple more pairs of glasses) so I'm not complaining. As long as I can get the 3D BD's for roughly the same price (sometimes cheaper) than the regular BD price I'll keep buying them.

So am I sad to hear that 3D is probably on the downward slide...? A little. But I think it's in direct relation to how the studios have handled it's marketing and push into the consumer market. Poorly post-converted films, too many (unnecessary) releases, too high a charge for the 3D versions, along with manufacturer exclusives on the retail side, put a bad taste in a lot of consumers mouth. So yes. There's going to be a backlash. I think that's all it is at this point. IF they better handle 3D in the near future they it should stick around for some time.

'Their' biggest mistake was handling it as anything but a niche market. I don't think it has the ability to go mainstream, nor do I think it needs to. But, they saw the $$$ and jumped in head first.

Great post, couldn't have said it better myself.

Films like Avatar that are specially film in 3D are nice. Films that became post-process 3D should just GTFO.

Films like Avatar that are specially film in 3D are nice. Films that became post-process 3D should just GTFO.

It depends on how it was handled. But I kind of agree to a point.

To do 3D properly, you need to FILM it in 3D. You need to adjust the lighting, the cinematography, the framing of shots... All that needs to be taken into consideration.

I haven't seen Clash of the Titans, but have heard enough to not want to.

But I have watched The Green Hornet in 3D (at home), and honestly, it had better 3D than Tron Legacy (imo). And I watched Thor in 3D which was also pretty good 3D. But again, just pretty good. Nothing jaw dropping. But I don't think it took away from the experience either.

Some people don't realize that there was a chunk of Avatar that was post-converted.

Once you have the heads up that it's was Post-Convert you look for it. You have it in your mind already that the 3D is going to suck, and it has to convince you otherwise.

They also invested alot into "Eyetoy" back in the Ps2 days. It didn't sell, so they gave up and moved on.

And thets be honest, the "PS3 Move" probably isn't going to catch on either. But after a few months of poor sales Sony is going accept people dont like (no matter how much they invested) it and move on as well.

If only this were true. The move sold 8 million units in the US alone which is very good (only to be out done by kinect which was 10 million) so the move is not going anywhere for quite a while. Believe it or not people are actually into it (despite what you read on boards).

Also the Eyetoy didn't cost as much to develop as a 3D tv so its much easier to abandon.

Last edited:
I actually like 3D. It doesn't bother my eyes, and after a few minutes I forget I'm wearing glasses.

My only problem is the deliberate action (probably on the studios' part) of showcasing 3D by having things fly out of the screen at you (I mentioned this in the Conan thread). It's gimmicky and takes away from the experience. It's like it's forcing you to realize it's in 3D. Clash of the Titans is a good example of that.

I think animated movies look the best. And absolutely loved Caroline in 3D, and was a bit disappointed to watch it on a regular screen at home.

I actually like 3D. It doesn't bother my eyes, and after a few minutes I forget I'm wearing glasses.

My only problem is the deliberate action (probably on the studios' part) of showcasing 3D by having things fly out of the screen at you (I mentioned this in the Conan thread). It's gimmicky and takes away from the experience. It's like it's forcing you to realize it's in 3D. Clash of the Titans is a good example of that.

I also prefer when it's used more for depth than the pop-outs. But that depends on the movie. Drive Angry was awesome in 3D since it fits with the tone of the film. Same goes for most animated movies.

But most live action movies should keep the pop-outs to a minimum. However it IS part of the 3D experience. It should go both ways. Into and out of the screen. Like you've said, over-use tends to draw attention to itself and takes you out of the experience.

I have yet to see a 3D movie. I know I should have watched Avatar but I didn't. The extra cost and glasses are just not appealing to me in anyway. I don't mind it being around for others who want that experience but I hope it does not permanently take over non-3d movies.

Some people talk about 3D as if it kicked their Hot Toys and twisted their nipple.

Maybe in Indiana Jones 5, he should ignore the Nazis and Communist and fight the evil 3D technology. :lol

I don't like it, it gives me a headache. Won't bother me one bit if it dies.

Some of the people I work with speak about it like it's the best thing ever. Because him and his wife saw Avatar in 3D and he still raves about it and how all movies should be 3D. It's annoying. :rolleyes2

For the most part I've enjoyed 3D movies. Avatar looked great. The stuff that Green Lantern makes should look awesome in 3D.

If you don't, watch the 2D version instead. :dunno

For the most part I've enjoyed 3D movies. Avatar looked great. The stuff that Green Lantern makes should look awesome in 3D.

If you don't, watch the 2D version instead. :dunno

I'm definately going to see Green Lantern in 3D. Usually I do watch them in 3D unless someone tells me it's not worth the bother.

I think animated movies look the best. And absolutely loved Caroline in 3D, and was a bit disappointed to watch it on a regular screen at home.

pretty much how i feel, i hate the gimmick 3D actions of deliberate action to feed the 3D effect.
I think also that 3D works the best on animation, imo it's improvement over 2D is the same as blu-ray over regular dvd. live action not so much on both pieces of tech.

Back