The end of 3D so soon?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sony in their E3 news conference yesterday just announced a slew of 3D stuff. Besides games they are releasing a 24 inch 3D tv that comes with glasses that have the ability to show each player their own screen so that you don't have to split screen anymore. The glasses are going to be $69.99 a piece, so they are addressing price.

Now if movies start to die off Sony will keep releasing games because they make 3D tv's so they have too much invested to just abandon. So realistically 3D is not going anywhere but it will hopefully die down a bit.

Glad to hear so many dislike 3D. I thought I was the only one. I've only semienjoyed one movie in 3D since the influx. I always look for the 2D showing of a movie I want to see if it's offered.

I bet in the years to come, there will be ome kind of study that says that people's vision are now screwed up because they watched all that 3D crap. I personally just hate the glasses alone because after about 45 minutes the bridge of my nose hurts!

lol....3D dying? LOL>.....get a clue....It's not going anywhere.....it will always be there....once 3D takes off in gaming you can forget about it....

not going to happen. for that you need a 3D tv. stupid glasses. even if they make it without, most will get a headache and sore eyes. video games is no different then movies. this has already been proved with the nintendo 3Ds or what ever it called. most people who played it said iit hurt their eyes and the pretty much turned it back down to 2D. 3D video games will not catch on or be the next thing, same goes for movies. end of story. like people said, 3D is just a dumb gimmick.

not going to happen. for that you need a 3D tv. stupid glasses. even if they make it without, most will get a headache and sore eyes. video games is no different then movies. this has already been proved with the nintendo 3Ds or what ever it called. most people who played it said iit hurt their eyes and the pretty much turned it back down to 2D. 3D video games will not catch on or be the next thing, same goes for movies. end of story. like people said, 3D is just a dumb gimmick.

3d PC gaming is very good. You can't compare a fake 3d handheld or even the current gen of gaming hardware (which is underpowered to do great 3d gaming) to the experience of a nicely powered PC game in 3d. The 3d really helps the experience if done correctly.

I also get a better 3d movie experience at home than I can get in a theater as they are messing with light intensity and filters at the theaters.

Last edited:
I was never for 3D.....but after watching a demo at bestbuy I was sort of impressed. Still dont care for it though.

I really enjoy 3D, both in theaters and at home. I don't get headaches and just enjoy the added depth. Sometimes it's like looking through a window.

I don't see 3D going away anytime soon. All six SW films are being re-released in 3D plus two upcoming Avatar sequels and Hobbit movies in addition to almost all new CGI cartoons (Pixar, etc.). It'll be around for a while.

The 3D in the new Star Tours ride was probably the best yet.

I have only seen one 3D movie and really wasn't impressed, I would rather spend the same amount of money and go see it on a crystal clear enormous IMAX screen.

I always thought the idea of the 3D sports was just ridiculous.

Now if movies start to die off Sony will keep releasing games because they make 3D tv's so they have too much invested to just abandon. So realistically 3D is not going anywhere but it will hopefully die down a bit.
They also invested alot into "Eyetoy" back in the Ps2 days. It didn't sell, so they gave up and moved on.

And thets be honest, the "PS3 Move" probably isn't going to catch on either. But after a few months of poor sales Sony is going accept people dont like (no matter how much they invested) it and move on as well.

There are already passive 3-d TV's you can use the cheapo 3d glasses with.

Here is an LG 47" passive 3d set with 4 glasses for under $1,200.
4 eh? Apparently families of 5 or more are out of luck.

And I guess if 3d tv is the future, then Superbowl parties are a thing of the past.

Last edited:
And I guess if 3d tv is the future, then Superbowl parties are a thing of the past.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Sure the starter packs are great, but what if you have more people over....do you just take turns passing the glasses around?? I'm just glad I didn't get sucked in and spent any $$$ on it.

4 eh? Apparently families of 5 or more are out of luck.

These are the glasses you get at the movie theater. I have two of them in my car. Not a limiting factor.

Don't confuse Passive with Active.

Passive sets now come with 4 and you can purchase a pack of 3 for $15 or just take them home from the movie theater.

Back