The end of 3D so soon?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weren't people saying this same thing in 2009?!?!

i'm not a fan, but this one isn't going to die easily. waaaay to much studio money wrapped up in it, and they're still doing extremely well overseas.

Transformers will be epic in 3D. However, the best 3D flicks i've seen were Drive Angry, Jackass 3D, and Tron.

Those were easily the best uses.

Aside from whether the 3-D effect was done well or not, it's also the high up-front cost charged to the consumer in both theater and home viewing. I liked Kung Fu Panda2 in 3D, but the ticket wound up being $16.00! Is it a wonder that the 3D ticket sales are low?

Ive been saying the same thing since avatar. 3-D was a cheap gimmick for movies in the 50s, and then again in the 80s. People got sick of it then, and they are going to get sick of it again now. It adds little to movies, and is already being crammed into films where it adds nothing.

lol....3D dying? LOL>.....get a clue....It's not going anywhere.....it will always be there....once 3D takes off in gaming you can forget about it....

lol....3D dying? LOL>.....get a clue....It's not going anywhere.....it will always be there....once 3D takes off in gaming you can forget about it....
Not gonna happen. Not ever.

You need to buy special 3-D tvs which require you to wear $100 glasses to make it work. Forget about throwing parties in which the tv is on, or even something as simple of having a couple friends over to watch a movie. No one is going to carry these glasses around with them.

Its a gimmick techology that will never catch on. Ask all the people who bough palm pilots and laserdisks.

You need to buy special 3-D tvs which require you to wear $100 glasses to make it work. Forget about throwing parties in which the tv is on, or even something as simple of having a couple friends over to watch a movie. No one is going to carry these glasses around with them.

Its a gimmick techology that will never catch on. Ask all the people who bough palm pilots and laserdisks.

Haha! Quoted for truth!

There are already passive 3-d TV's you can use the cheapo 3d glasses with.

Here is an LG 47" passive 3d set with 4 glasses for under $1,200.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/LG-Infinia-47LW5600-47-Inch-Included/dp/B004OOTRPC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]Amazon.com: LG Infinia 47LW5600 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV with Smart TV (Included: Four Pairs of 3D Glasses): Electronics[/ame]

Last edited:
Isn't 3-D just a way to make you pay higher tickets prices? I'd say so!

Ive been saying the same thing since avatar. 3-D was a cheap gimmick for movies in the 50s, and then again in the 80s. People got sick of it then, and they are going to get sick of it again now. It adds little to movies, and is already being crammed into films where it adds nothing.

It might have been a gimmick back then where they were using anaglyph 3D with red/cyan glasses. That stuff is unwatchable. But since they've been able to bring it to full color without ghosting it's an entirely different matter.

When my last HDTV took a crap, the next gen HDTV's were out and they all were 3D Ready. It was the same as the HDTV's that didn't have 3D. So I bought a LG LED 55" 3D HDTV. The good news if there is 3D content worth it, I can play it no problem through my PS3.

But if 3D dies, it's still a great HDTV.

I think if Hollywood makes movies take advantage of the fun of 3D instead of trying to convert crap like Clash of the Titans and Green Hornet, maybe it will stick around, if not it will not be missed.

https://tech.blorge.com/Structure: ...op-further-proof-3d-is-a-novelty-and-gimmick/

It seems Hollywood needs Transformers 3D and Harry Potter in 3D to do well, or it could be 3D was a short lived fad.

For one thing, as long as there's an extra surcharge of $2.50+ per customer, a lot of people aren't going to see it in 3D.

Also, the majority of the time, it's a waste of money seeing it in 3D because it doesn't improve on the picture much at all. Wearing the glasses makes everything darker usually, which doesn't make the over all film look better.

I saw Kung Fu Panda in 3D and I wish I didn't bother with it. I will see Transformers in 3D, but I won't Harry Potter, especially since the first part wasn't in 3D.

They're putting out Lion King in 3D. I won't bother going to that one at all.

JJ Abrams has already said the Star Trek sequel will not be 3D unless he is told to do it by the studio, which is strange that they have given the go ahead on that yet.
So will Star Trek 2 be coming out in 3D then? Abrams addressed the matter by saying, “I’m not yet considering doing the movie in 3D until the phone call comes in from the guys in the suits who say any differently. But so far I have no plans for 3D.”
He does not sound like a fan
I have to admit I was disappointed that the Hobbit will be in 3D

I cant see it going away amd although 3d has been around a while, its still new in home use tv.
Wether film companys back out remains to be seen but gaming could really take off.
You just have to experiance kill zone 3, crysis or motorstorm to see why.

Aside from whether the 3-D effect was done well or not, it's also the high up-front cost charged to the consumer in both theater and home viewing. I liked Kung Fu Panda2 in 3D, but the ticket wound up being $16.00! Is it a wonder that the 3D ticket sales are low?

Wow! I went to the matinee and it cost $7.50. I haven't been to a night showing for years.

Will be going next week though for Fellowship!!! :yess:

Back