1/6 The Dark Knight: Batmobile - Tumbler (relaunch)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys The Dark Knight: Batmobile - Tumbler (relaunch)

It's a lot of work though and not easy. If you get it cut at the wrong shop the edges will be rough as they tend to use the general purpose MDF/wood blades which rips the edges apart. Sanding manually is almost unusable in my opinion as the edge will not likely remain flat and square and for fusing it chemically without bubbles it needs to be both. If you are going DIY I think 1/8 might be better at hiding the flaws just because there is not much of an edge to see. My very first case was with 1/8" and I bend two corners with a DIY heating table (forgot the official name) glued the sides on and the routed the edges. Cheap and hides flaws well but have to invest into the right tools and quadruple check everything to make sure everything remains square. On a large piece like this it becomes annoyingly important. But I would never ship that.

:borg
I agree with what you are saying but most sheets (all mine from amazon came with at least 2 man fab cuts perfectly straight and clean. So a person only has to really worry about 1 cut per side if youre not setting the bottom. My lowes and home depot both use polycarb blades for plastic (small tooth). One cut from Loews for each piece, sand it with wet sand paper.....good to go. You can also use Meguiars plastic polish no 7 and no 10 i believe to get transparent edges with buffering.A hassle free route is to do it your way with the tape (inexpensive) and the case is all set.

Last edited:

Please keep me posted as to what you find out...Im getting a quote from a company in Costa Mesa tomorrow :)

Hey,

I stopped by the shop. It will take 2 weeks to make.

Dimensions: W34" x D24" x H14" - 1/4" thick acrylic with black wooden base = $230

He also showed me some glass cases with a horizontal hinge opening AND lights (silver ends connecting the glass pieces and hiding the lights) for $475, $375 WITHOUT lights.

For that much, I would rather buy a boxed up tumbler. He was mentioning that acrylic cases will scratch which made me second guess the acrylic.

Let me know about the Costa Mesa shop. Thanks.

Nice!!!!! I just got news from bbts that my tumbler has arrived,should be shipping soon....great success :clap

I just got mine delivered about two hours ago. A BIG box indeed! Thankfully, no significant damage to the shipper box. I haven't had a chance to crack open the box yet. Here's hoping for no issues with the Tumbler itself.

Now to strategize where to display the beast and where to buy a custom display case locally.

Just ordered...with bátpod. Waiting for it. Going to use globes in them.

So 34"x 24"x 14" works huh...can you fit a figure with a stand inside?

reg figure is about 12" and based on the first pic there should be enough space even for the DX stand

I agree with what you are saying but most sheets (all mine from amazon came with at least 2 man fab cuts perfectly straight and clean. So a person only has to really worry about 1 cut per side if youre not setting the bottom. My lowes and home depot both use polycarb blades for plastic (small tooth). One cut from Loews for each piece, sand it with wet sand paper.....good to go. You can also use Meguiars plastic polish no 7 and no 10 i believe to get transparent edges with buffering.A hassle free route is to do it your way with the tape (inexpensive) and the case is all set.

I guess I never had that kind of luck when dealing with HD. For fusing edges actually don't need to wet sand it as long as it's flat and edge is reasonably smooth. I use a planner to get to that point. As for buffing I use actual acrylic buffing sticks (pita to track down), never thought of automotive solutions.
As for the tape I use it ain't cheap at all and can only be special ordered in large rolls. Very specialized application and hence again a PITA to track down

Hey,

I stopped by the shop. It will take 2 weeks to make.

Dimensions: W34" x D24" x H14" - 1/4" thick acrylic with black wooden base = $230

He also showed me some glass cases with a horizontal hinge opening AND lights (silver ends connecting the glass pieces and hiding the lights) for $475, $375 WITHOUT lights.

For that much, I would rather buy a boxed up tumbler. He was mentioning that acrylic cases will scratch which made me second guess the acrylic.

Let me know about the Costa Mesa shop. Thanks.

Acrylic scratches easily but none of the surface is supposed to be used as a coaster so risk is really low. You are suppose to only look through it ;) Glass is actually quite heavy and poses other risk at this size especially if it's not the more $$ tempered glass
If you are getting a case locally you might as well ask for 3/16 to save a few $$ 1/4" has no real benefit over 3/16 except for being heavier.

Acrylic scratches easily but none of the surface is supposed to be used as a coaster so risk is really low. You are suppose to only look through it ;) Glass is actually quite heavy and poses other risk at this size especially if it's not the more $$ tempered glass
If you are getting a case locally you might as well ask for 3/16 to save a few $$ 1/4" has no real benefit over 3/16 except for being heavier.

Thanks for the advice. I would only be concerned with scratching when dusting it. At 3/16, it's $187.00. I was trying to replicate your specs and save you the work of making another one for a member ;). I'll look at 3/16th.

In the end I am perfectly happy not making any ;) already started posting everyone's finding on my post ;)
oh another suggestion if you are getting a shop to do it for you locally. Consider getting them to fuse the side panels to the base (won't work w wood base) instead of the top and then have the lid made slightly larger with the edge routed thinner so you can use the top as a lid and it be soo much easier to access the insides!
It ain't fun lifting the whole box every time you want to adjust anything

reg figure is about 12" and based on the first pic there should be enough space even for the DX stand

I guess I never had that kind of luck when dealing with HD. For fusing edges actually don't need to wet sand it as long as it's flat and edge is reasonably smooth. I use a planner to get to that point. As for buffing I use actual acrylic buffing sticks (pita to track down), never thought of automotive solutions.
As for the tape I use it ain't cheap at all and can only be special ordered in large rolls. Very specialized application and hence again a PITA to track down

I wouldn't call taping 5 pieces of plexyglass specialized application though. This would seal the deal. (ha pun) [ame="https://www.amazon.com/020-Transparent-Acrylic-Hi-Bond-Adhesive/dp/B000KZWG5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346468054&sr=8-1&keywords=Crl+Acrylic+bond+tape"]https://www.amazon.com/020-Transparent-Acrylic-Hi-Bond-Adhesive/dp/B000KZWG5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346468054&sr=8-1&keywords=Crl+Acrylic+bond+tape[/ame]

Anyone going for 3/16 you can honestly just go to a lowe's buy a score knife and the 4 foot sheets of plexyglass, score it, snap it and tape.

At 3/16 plexiglass you can build it for about 100 bucks USD. I just looked and built a 36 x 24 x 12 on Amazon, if anyone is interested in the cart items I'll post them.:)

Just trying to help folks save some money and not get ripped off for something so simple to make especially at this gauge of plexyglass.:slap

I need a $130 bucks more and i will join the Tumbler Club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :panic::panic::panic:

Just ordered mine! 4 payments flex pay! I just noticed four payments is not available today...3 payments max. I guess i got lucky. Will also be purchasing the camo version of this beauty. Too bad it wont rrelease for another year!!! that will give me some time to save up some money though!

Didnt I see one painted by the Joker?
Where was that?

So close! Congrats to you! I too will be joining th tumbler club! I have to have both versions though. Thank god for flex pay!

Thanks! Where can i purchase this beautiful plexi glass display case?

I wouldn't call taping 5 pieces of plexyglass specialized application though. This would seal the deal. (ha pun) https://www.amazon.com/020-Transparent-Acrylic-Hi-Bond-Adhesive/dp/B000KZWG5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346468054&sr=8-1&keywords=Crl+Acrylic+bond+tape

Anyone going for 3/16 you can honestly just go to a lowe's buy a score knife and the 4 foot sheets of plexyglass, score it, snap it and tape.

At 3/16 plexiglass you can build it for about 100 bucks USD. I just looked and built a 36 x 24 x 12 on Amazon, if anyone is interested in the cart items I'll post them.:)

Just trying to help folks save some money and not get ripped off for something so simple to make especially at this gauge of plexyglass.:slap

The tape I am using was quite a bit more and for possibly stronger application. Certainly it was not designed for holding cases together.
Now for $10 no harm trying this but maybe only for my own cases to make sure it will not fall apart on me
As for 3/16" simply taping together it won't be pretty but ... should do fine against cats

oh wait just noticed so are you saying I am ripping off ppl, might as well say it!

Last edited:

I think this may have been asked several times, but.... Once the flaps/spoilers are added can they be removed? Say you had to move and wanted to place the tumbler back in the original box for safe travel. I may be faced with this dilemma once I finish my flex pay and get this monster. Thanks

selling off some stuff to put the funds towards this so by the time they are readily available ill have enough!

Back