The current state of DC 1/6 collectibles . . . DEAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would not surprise me if HT goes out of business or gets acquired by another entity bc the stuff there putting out is for a very different market from what many collectors want. Especially in the coming economy.

I have 3 Hot Toys pre-orders and can't see much else on the horizon. Maybe a couple of ESB releases someday, waiting on Classic Spidey... :dunno

It's not impossible they'd make something else I'm into, but seems more likely it's over.

It would not surprise me if HT goes out of business or gets acquired by another entity bc the stuff there putting out is for a very different market from what many collectors want. Especially in the coming economy.
They seem to be doing more business than ever so I doubt them going out of business is anywhere on the horizon. This forum is not representative of all collectors, and indeed the North American market as a whole surely is not the majority of their business. I'm guessing cosbabies must be a lot more popular in Asia, for example.

I'm sure they're making money hand over fist with Marvel product.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

They seem to be doing more business than ever so I doubt them going out of business is anywhere on the horizon. This forum is not representative of all collectors, and indeed the North American market as a whole surely is not the majority of their business. I'm guessing cosbabies must be a lot more popular in Asia, for example.

I'm sure they're making money hand over fist with Marvel product.

Undoubtedly. They seem to be churning out all kinds of product overall and the margins on those cosbabies must have 'em laughing all the way to the bank.

I have 3 Hot Toys pre-orders and can't see much else on the horizon. Maybe a couple of ESB releases someday, waiting on Classic Spidey... :dunno

It's not impossible they'd make something else I'm into, but seems more likely it's over.
This year I was definitely getting my 1/6 fix elsewhere. Off the top of my head, the only figures I'm looking forward to that I know HT will release are Battinson and Jane Foster Thor (both of which are years away).

I do buy Marvel, but I pretty much have all the Marvel I need. When new content starts rolling in I'm sure there will be occasional figures that strike my fancy but I don't see myself digging in the way I did with the Avengers, not for a long time, anyway.

We're years away from X-Men, Fantastic Four, and a new wave of Avengers films... and apparently what that means is we're in for years of Venomized Deadpool who is also a Zombie and is wearing Iron Man armour.

I would have loved a Rev-9 and an Agent Smith. I hope somebody does a decent Jack Bauer or Buffy someday.

@ GaryPool :lol I didn't have any one person in mind - a lot of people suggested it would be the case.

Hahaha, no worries, I was very vocal and optimistic about it. To be fair I don't doubt that they won't have a phase of more DC content again. At the moment it seems like they've gone complete left-field in just expanding new lines. And to be fair I can respect them for it, more to choose from is great, and until we get some more quality DC stuff it'll be interesting to see what they produce in other fields.

[...] We're years away from X-Men, Fantastic Four, and a new wave of Avengers films... and apparently what that means is we're in for years of Venomized Deadpool who is also a Zombie and is wearing Iron Man armour.

I would have loved a Rev-9 and an Agent Smith. I hope somebody does a decent Jack Bauer or Buffy someday.

It's hard to say "never" in this hobby, but you know, over time priorities and interests can change. A good high-end Buffy line or something would interest me now, but as the years go by I don't know if I'll be invested the same way. It's trivial in the grand scheme of things but I can't shake the feeling that the best of 1/6 has already come and gone. I'd be happy to be wrong, of course. For some of the oddball or older pop culture properties, I could really only see Blitzway picking up the slack. The unlicensed companies have put out some interesting product for the price, but the quality isn't at a level I'd bother with.

I really doubt Hot Toys are in any danger of going out of business. Probably they are doing better than ever.

Given the lack of anything DC related I was pretty much out of collecting HT until I started watching The Mandalorian. They appear to be going all out with that line.

Mando line is looking great.

To be fair, if you're into Marvel and Star Wars the stuff coming out is looking great.

I'm not into Marvel and until two weeks ago I'd never watched Star Wars 😂😂. Now I have I understand the love for the original trilogy and The Mandalorian is just a great show. My wallet really wishes I'd stayed in blissful ignorance!

DC will always be my #1 though. Hoping the Snyder cut is a huge success enough to get HT to redo Knightmare Batman and give us black suit Superman + Cyborg. Deathstroke and Darkseid would be amazing but I'm probably dreaming now.

Hot toys seems to be expanding. I am happy that they make stuff I don't want as I am building a new house now. Haha. I hoped Blitzway would move in a take some of the IPs HT leave behind, but they seemed stunned. Their Zorro was fine, but the hs was just not up to HT standard. All the third party companies are just not goos enough with the hs yet. It's nuts that there are so many IPs out there and nobody is doing anything really good. I don't think Hot Toys will go back to the 80's IPs, cannot see them doing Goonies or E.T. or Lethal Weapon. Those are not big in Asia. Would have been cool. Fright Night is another 80's IP. But they are all very small compaired to Marvel, DC and Star Wars. They give us a lot of cool Star Wars stuff and Marvel. The DC is burning low right now, I'm sure with WW and the Snyder Cut, something will emerge. I would love for them (or Blitzway) to make more Aliens related charecters. Ripley with flamethrower, Hicks, Bishop, Hudson. I suspect they would be huge in the west at least. But I guess HT make more than enough money with SW, Marvel and DC. And they are keeping themselves busy.

I'm not into Marvel and until two weeks ago I'd never watched Star Wars ����. Now I have I understand the love for the original trilogy and The Mandalorian is just a great show. My wallet really wishes I'd stayed in blissful ignorance!

DC will always be my #1 though. Hoping the Snyder cut is a huge success enough to get HT to redo Knightmare Batman and give us black suit Superman + Cyborg. Deathstroke and Darkseid would be amazing but I'm probably dreaming now.

The Batman Video Game Deathstroke is just beyond amazing. I never played the game but he is still one of my favorites HT's. I don't know if there is a massive difference from the movie one, but the VG is just ... wow. You will love him.

Remember when people thought Hot Toys would use the MCU downtime to tackle non-Marvel licenses? lol :rolleyes2

Lol why did they even show that Batman forever figure. It feels like the figures they tease at shows will never see the light of day

I don't bother fantasizing about what I'd like them to make anymore. What's the point, it's just so clear where their loyalty and interests are now. If you happen to want some Marvel and Star Wars it is perfectly safe to hope for certain things and have a high likelihood of getting them. Anything outside of those and the chances are low to extremely low.

So that said I'm still on the lookout for a decent MCU Captain America and Thor. I might go with the Endgame '2012' Cap. For Thor I'm thinking they might do a 2.0 of his 2012 appearance and that could be a good one if they get the likeness right. With those two I'd have a set of the Big Four Avengers - I have 2012 Hulk and Iron Man MK IV - probably should have waited and got the MK VII to have a more accurate Battle of New York set but whatever. I would maybe push to Hawkeye and Black Widow if they also 2.0 those but not essential.

But that's basically it. I'm not collecting Star Wars from Hot Toys.

Yeah I sorta rediscovered Buffy and Angel on late night reruns this year - I'd be interested to see a decent high-end line from Threezero. They've been doing some decent work lately - Rambo is excellent and their Game of Thrones figures look good.

Hahaha, no worries, I was very vocal and optimistic about it. To be fair I don't doubt that they won't have a phase of more DC content again. At the moment it seems like they've gone complete left-field in just expanding new lines. And to be fair I can respect them for it, more to choose from is great, and until we get some more quality DC stuff it'll be interesting to see what they produce in other fields.

:duff

Well, I won't be interested. As I said it's plain to see the direction they're going in and you either like it or you don't. Of course it's probably high time I stopped complaining about it. I mainly do it out of boredom, especially this year.

I really doubt Hot Toys are in any danger of going out of business. Probably they are doing better than ever.

Yeah I assume they're doing what they're doing because its making them the most money. It's just hard not to feel resentful when they do stuff like......

...... show that Batman forever figure. It feels like the figures they tease at shows will never see the light of day

or any of their past announcements that got people excited for nothing.

I would just really like to see a serious competitor to HT emerge. When it comes to likenesses, well, HT has taken a step backwards I think but they are still the leader. Still, Blitzway is doing well in this area. As far as tailoring goes, again HT is the clear leader buy Blitzway is within striking distance based on my Egon figure.

However, when it comes to engineering complex figures like RoboCop and Iron Man, there's basically no competition. I mentioned Buffy, Jack Bauer and the Terminator Rev-9 as wishlist figures--and while Blitzway could do a killer Buffy or Jack, I don't think anybody has demonstrated the ability to match HT on a figure like an endoskeleton.

The ThreeZero Transformers look pretty great, admittedly, but I am SUPER wary of ThreeZero after they released total garbage for figures like Master Chief and Doomguy.

[...]
The ThreeZero Transformers look pretty great, admittedly, but I am SUPER wary of ThreeZero after they released total garbage for figures like Master Chief and Doomguy.

I'm not a big Transformers guy ... just a hit of after-school nostalgia from back in the day. (Think it was after school. Or Saturday morning, who knows?)

Anyway, I got the DLX Bumblebee out of curiosity, sold it because I found the scale to be too small but was so impressed, I sprung for the Premium. If they kept up with that quality and engineering they could easily do a great Iron Man armour.

I'm not a big Transformers guy ... just a hit of after-school nostalgia from back in the day. (Think it was after school. Or Saturday morning, who knows?)

Anyway, I got the DLX Bumblebee out of curiosity, sold it because I found the scale to be too small but was so impressed, I sprung for the Premium. If they kept up with that quality and engineering they could easily do a great Iron Man armour.
Yeah, the paint work on those figures is also surprisingly great. I truly hope my upcoming Destiny Warlock from them is of the same quality... but I don't expect it, because the Destiny Titan. which was released earlier this year, looked like the same trash-tier work they did with Doom, Halo, and Mass Effect. The paint work is basically what you'd expect from a McFarlane figure.

I'm not into Marvel and until two weeks ago I'd never watched Star Wars ����. Now I have I understand the love for the original trilogy and The Mandalorian is just a great show. My wallet really wishes I'd stayed in blissful ignorance!

Hahah, yeah you should have left that can of worms closed! Mandalorian is doing a phenomenal job of expanding Star Wars and breathing life into it. They've hit the nail on the head.

I grew up with prequel Star Wars, so nabbed Sith Anakin and got the 1/4 Vader. I'm very reluctant with Hot Toys Star Wars because it's a dangerous rabbit hole, I used to get all the Kenner and Hasbro figures as a kid, and these characters are designed to sell toys. I think the only other Star Wars I would pick up is a version of Luke, either Bespin or X-Pilot and Mandalorian with Beskar on Speeder bike. Everything else is a slippery slope. Plus DC has taken my number one now so don't wanna have too many thins. Still trying to have a slim collection so have decided to move my Marvel figures on potentially when I get those in from EG.

Back