The Avengers: The Motion Picture Discussion Thread- Open SPOILERS -enter at own risk!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the movie twice this weekend and missed what Hulk said both times. Thanks for letting me know. I did not see anyone mention it here...though I am sure someone must have.

But I am certain that wasis only line.

Yeah, everybody was laughing so hard, that I totally missed it. But a few pages back, there is a youtube highlighting that scene.

$200.3 Million,sheesh that's a lot!
Way to go Avengers!

And the weekend still has an evening to go.

Something else I wanted to mention...as much as I like movies...I HATE opening weekends and I NEVER go to movies on opening weekends.

For this movie, not only did I go...but then I went again and took my three kids.

To me...that says I went the distance to see this flick...

and it was so worth it.

Another thing I do not do is see a movie multiple times in the theater...I will buy the DVD and watch it every other day for a month, but I don't like spending 40.00 to watch a movie in a theater...but The Avengers will get at least one more viewing in the theater before it is all over.

And yes, the final battle was Bay-esq. But with a 10000x better script, and you actually CARED for these people.

Somehow this movie managed to have laugh out loud funny lines seemingly every minute, all while advancing every character's personality, and having fantastic fight scenes.

The balancing act it managed is truly incredible.

I really enjoyed the film, I thought it was brilliant. I wish there had been an additional scene with cap trying to look up Peggy through either a book, of a letter she wrote to him in case he was ever found. Just something to close his loss. Actually I wish there was several more scenes just so it didn't end, it is a great movie. With regards to deleted to scenes, there was alot of smashing so may have missed it but but the end of the trailers, where Hulk is jumping, gets hit by one of the aliens bike then hits another passing, can't remember seeing that part in the movie.

I really enjoyed the film, I thought it was brilliant. I wish there had been an additional scene with cap trying to look up Peggy through either a book, of a letter she wrote to him in case he was ever found. Just something to close his loss. Actually I wish there was several more scenes just so it didn't end, it is a great movie. With regards to deleted to scenes, there was alot of smashing so may have missed it but but the end of the trailers, where Hulk is jumping, gets hit by one of the aliens bike then hits another passing, can't remember seeing that part in the movie.

I actually thought that would of been cool too. Although, it could make the story for the Captain America 2.

I really enjoyed the film, I thought it was brilliant. I wish there had been an additional scene with cap trying to look up Peggy through either a book, of a letter she wrote to him in case he was ever found. Just something to close his loss.

Apparently, there was a scene where Rogers visits an elderly Peggy. I bet it's one of the 30+ minutes of deleted scenes that will be on the DVD/Blu-ray release.

the only thing I didn't get is the transformation of hulk. On the carrier he turned into a mindless monster destroyed everything and almost killed bw. Yet in the final battle bruce banner has full control of him and hulk followed orders and rescued his teammates instead of acting like a mindless monster.

But they never explained this transformation, especially since it happened in such short time.What changed to make Bruce have control over the hulk.

the only thing I didn't get is the transformation of hulk. On the carrier he turned into a mindless monster destroyed everything and almost killed bw. Yet in the final battle bruce banner has full control of him and hulk followed orders and rescued his teammates instead of acting like a mindless monster.

But they never explained this transformation, especially since it happened in such short time.What changed to make Bruce have control over the hulk.

Yeah, I wondered the same thing...

went to the 10:15 pm IMAX 3D showing near me......was almost sold out....had to sit on the top row but it wasn't bad at all. I thought the 3D was good. Loved the film. Great job. The Hulk was great. Thor was prob the weakest of all the Avengers imo besides the two reg humans(Barton and Romanov). Loved the very, very end scene. Took a few seconds to figure out where they were until I read the sign on the menu on the left.

Yeah, I wondered the same thing...

Here's my take, which I posted earlier in the thread:

I think it's pretty clearly implied that if Banner tries to "fight" turning into the Hulk that the Hulk is even more enraged and unpredictable. Whereas if he just lets go and becomes the Hulk willingly and voluntarily he can control and aim his rage. Stark basically knew this all along, but Banner was still skeptical. When the old man told him that Hulk purposely avoided a populated area when he crash landed that was the turning point and Banner basically decided to just trust Hulk within himself. So, he shows up with the others at the end and just lets go and finally he and Hulk are in sync. And he can turn it on at will, as stated by his "I'm always angry" revelation.

original.gif

Here's an interesting take on Stark and Banner.

https://ihatewhatilove.tumblr.com/

"First of all, their parallels. Both geniuses, top of their field. Both suffered an accident that physically changed them, forever, and not in a wholesome Spider-Man kind of way. Both try to do what they can to help others despite their own issues; Banner heals people, Tony works on developing clean energy. And both struggle, in their own way, with duality; Tony and Iron Man, Bruce and the Hulk. Two identities, one body. Only difference is Iron Man’s bad side is Tony.

I mentioned somewhere that Tony sees a bit of himself in Banner because they both have a monster inside them that they can’t control, a creature that springs fully formed from the id, the base impulses and the nasty stuff at the back of the mind. Bruce’s is a giant green rage monster. Tony’s trashed a party in Iron Man 2. Banner has a control over his that Tony hasn’t quite achieved yet; don’t think I didn’t notice Tony pouring himself a whiskey when confronting Loki. Tony is envious, fascinated, and most of all, impressed by Bruce’s control.

So he doesn’t walk on eggshells around Bruce like the others, because that’s not what Bruce needs. Tony sees Bruce’s restraint, sees the quiet, brilliant man making self-deprecating jokes in the corner of the room, sees the way people look at him like he’s going to snap any second, and thinks “nope”. Tony does what no-one else aboard that Helicarrier does. He trusts him. He makes jokes and jabs him and teases him and above all, treats him exactly how he would treat anyone else— he has a great regard for Bruce’s brilliance, and tells him so, but he doesn’t try to ignore the Hulk in the room. When he says “wow, you’ve really got a handle on this, haven’t you?” he’s not saying “gosh, it’s incredible you haven’t snapped yet and killed everyone on board” he’s saying “I know you have a handle on this, you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t, so I’m gonna poke you with this sharp object to prove it”. And you can see Bruce relax, and smile, and trust him back.

But then Tony goes even further, and invites Bruce to come to his R&D department. I’m pretty sure the two of them drive off together in Tony’s car at the end of the movie to do just that. And, okay, sure, Bruce is smart, but Tony’s tech is his baby. How many people get invitations to come and see his work? He invites Bruce because he recognises his brilliance, yes, but there’s another reason. He’s inviting Bruce to come down and work with him after this is over. He’s giving Bruce something to do next, a purpose, an alternative to disappearing into the ether to be alone with his monster. Tony knows from experience that being alone with your issues doesn’t end well, so for what’s only the third time in his life he extends the hand of friendship to a guy he’s known barely an hour.

And then, he tells Bruce to let the beast loose. Not just because they need him to fight, but because it will help him. If Bruce can take this thing that he sees as a curse and turn it into a gift, well, that’s going to lift him out of a very dark place. I’m not saying Tony knew about Bruce’s attempted suicide, but I think he had a suspicion that Bruce had been, in his words, “low”. So he encourages Bruce to take all that crap and pain and the Other Guy and use him to help people; after all, that’s what he did.

And it pays off. Nobody— nobody— thinks Bruce is going to turn up for that final battle. You can see the look on Natasha and Steve’s faces when Tony asks if Bruce turned up yet. They’ve counted Bruce out. Guy’s a mess, right? He’s too volatile. Doesn’t play well with others. He could never work as part of a team. No-one thinks he’ll come through when it matters. Except Tony. He has faith in him, and that faith is rewarded. It’s no wonder the Hulk is the one to catch Tony. Tony’s the one who helped let him out. He’s just returning the favor."

tumblr_m3jqtkfx6B1qaybgdo2_250.gif
tumblr_m3jqtkfx6B1qaybgdo1_250.gif
tumblr_m3jqtkfx6B1qaybgdo3_250.gif

Here's an interesting take on Stark and Banner.

https://ihatewhatilove.tumblr.com/

"First of all, their parallels. Both geniuses, top of their field. Both suffered an accident that physically changed them, forever, and not in a wholesome Spider-Man kind of way. Both try to do what they can to help others despite their own issues; Banner heals people, Tony works on developing clean energy. And both struggle, in their own way, with duality; Tony and Iron Man, Bruce and the Hulk. Two identities, one body. Only difference is Iron Man’s bad side is Tony.

I mentioned somewhere that Tony sees a bit of himself in Banner because they both have a monster inside them that they can’t control, a creature that springs fully formed from the id, the base impulses and the nasty stuff at the back of the mind. Bruce’s is a giant green rage monster. Tony’s trashed a party in Iron Man 2. Banner has a control over his that Tony hasn’t quite achieved yet; don’t think I didn’t notice Tony pouring himself a whiskey when confronting Loki. Tony is envious, fascinated, and most of all, impressed by Bruce’s control.

So he doesn’t walk on eggshells around Bruce like the others, because that’s not what Bruce needs. Tony sees Bruce’s restraint, sees the quiet, brilliant man making self-deprecating jokes in the corner of the room, sees the way people look at him like he’s going to snap any second, and thinks “nope”. Tony does what no-one else aboard that Helicarrier does. He trusts him. He makes jokes and jabs him and teases him and above all, treats him exactly how he would treat anyone else— he has a great regard for Bruce’s brilliance, and tells him so, but he doesn’t try to ignore the Hulk in the room. When he says “wow, you’ve really got a handle on this, haven’t you?” he’s not saying “gosh, it’s incredible you haven’t snapped yet and killed everyone on board” he’s saying “I know you have a handle on this, you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t, so I’m gonna poke you with this sharp object to prove it”. And you can see Bruce relax, and smile, and trust him back.

But then Tony goes even further, and invites Bruce to come to his R&D department. I’m pretty sure the two of them drive off together in Tony’s car at the end of the movie to do just that. And, okay, sure, Bruce is smart, but Tony’s tech is his baby. How many people get invitations to come and see his work? He invites Bruce because he recognises his brilliance, yes, but there’s another reason. He’s inviting Bruce to come down and work with him after this is over. He’s giving Bruce something to do next, a purpose, an alternative to disappearing into the ether to be alone with his monster. Tony knows from experience that being alone with your issues doesn’t end well, so for what’s only the third time in his life he extends the hand of friendship to a guy he’s known barely an hour.

And then, he tells Bruce to let the beast loose. Not just because they need him to fight, but because it will help him. If Bruce can take this thing that he sees as a curse and turn it into a gift, well, that’s going to lift him out of a very dark place. I’m not saying Tony knew about Bruce’s attempted suicide, but I think he had a suspicion that Bruce had been, in his words, “low”. So he encourages Bruce to take all that crap and pain and the Other Guy and use him to help people; after all, that’s what he did.

And it pays off. Nobody— nobody— thinks Bruce is going to turn up for that final battle. You can see the look on Natasha and Steve’s faces when Tony asks if Bruce turned up yet. They’ve counted Bruce out. Guy’s a mess, right? He’s too volatile. Doesn’t play well with others. He could never work as part of a team. No-one thinks he’ll come through when it matters. Except Tony. He has faith in him, and that faith is rewarded. It’s no wonder the Hulk is the one to catch Tony. Tony’s the one who helped let him out. He’s just returning the favor."

tumblr_m3jqtkfx6B1qaybgdo2_250.gif
tumblr_m3jqtkfx6B1qaybgdo1_250.gif
tumblr_m3jqtkfx6B1qaybgdo3_250.gif

Very strange seeing Stark be so friendly to Bruce/The Hulk. In the comics, he thought Hulk was a big dumb monster who was out of control and couldn't be trusted. He had quite a bit to do with Hulk getting sent into space for the Planet Hulk storyline, leading back to Hulk coming after him in World War Hulk.

Very strange seeing Stark be so friendly to Bruce/The Hulk. In the comics, he thought Hulk was a big dumb monster who was out of control and couldn't be trusted. He had quite a bit to do with Hulk getting sent into space for the Planet Hulk storyline, leading back to Hulk coming after him in World War Hulk.

Yes. That is a strange angle that they're doing in the movie. I mean come on, in the comics, Stark has a suit designed to fight the hulk.

You have to understand a lot of people who have gone to see this have no clue about the comics, and while they kept a lot of things faithful, they don't want Tony to come over as a bit of a doucebag, even in Iron Man 2 they did not want to make him a drunk, so they went with the he is slowly dying plot. They want the loveable Tony we have seen in the last few films, especially as he is on his own in the next outing.

This thread is moving super fast. Has anyone asked or answerd why when Thor was in the field and he reached for the hammer it didnt jump into his hand? Was he hurt?

This thread is moving super fast. Has anyone asked or answerd why when Thor was in the field and he reached for the hammer it didnt jump into his hand? Was he hurt?

He didn't pick it up initially because he was contemplating how things were, and how he couldn't save Coulson...no doubt thinking it was his fault (hence him clenching his fist).

That's how I understood it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back