The Amazing Spider Man 2 (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Small pet-peeve): Guy is killing people with electricity, guy in mechanical suit is shooting missiles and people just stand around and watch- Run for your lives, fools!

Haha yeah. People standing behind those portable metal railings to watch the spidey battles and the police just allowing it, no worries about collateral civilian death at all. Granted, all the Spidey films have this.

Haha yeah. People standing behind those portable metal railings to watch the spidey battles and the police just allowing it, no worries about collateral civilian death at all. Granted, all the Spidey films have this.
Welcome to New York. Where if a car is on fire, people will surround it like vultures trying to get a better look. :lol

Last edited:
So I just got back from seeing this a second time.... I still enjoyed it fully. Some parts I disliked more and some I loved more.

Disliked even more

1. Electro's Max character and his origin. Give him a better back story and he would have been fine.
2. Spidey's parents back story.... I hope we are done with Pa Parker. Not that it was bad it just brings the film to a halt.
German Scientist... What the Hell???

Loved more
1. Andrew and Emma
2. How Spidey was done..... PERFECT in every way.. The only real Spidey brought the screen... Like or hate the film, Spidey was done perfectly.
3. Gwen's Death.
4. Harry Osborn

Things I did not think I liked the first time but really enjoyed the second time.

1. The Score. I liked Electro's theme.... It works. It bugged me the first time but I liked it the second.
2. Electro himself... It's nice to have a Spidey Villain that is just a ****. I mean sure he was sort of sad in the beginning but Sad in a insane sort of way... Gwen was lucky she got out of the Elevator when she did.... She was probably looking at a lifetime of stalking had she talked to him much longer.
3. The Spidey Electro final fight. Just enjoyed it more. Guess since I was let down the first time it seemed better this time.

As of right now I would give the film a 7.5 out of 10 as far as a film itself goes but my enjoyment factor was around a 8.5 out of 10.

Personally I don't get why this film is being as dumped on by some as it is. But it's all about opinions so it's going to happen. For me I would take this over the original Spider-man film any day of the week. I never thought that film was very good. I have expressed why earlier so I won't dump on it again because I know there are big fans of it. But for me this was a better Spidey experience. And while I think Spider-man 2 is probably the better movie... they just got the Spidey character so perfect in this film that I think I like this one better but I won't rank it higher because I have only seen it 2x compared to the several I have seen SM2 and I really loved that one the first time I saw it.

So I would rank them like this

SM 2 - 8 out of 10
ASM2 - 7.5 out of 10

ASM - 6.5 out of 10
SM - 5.5 out of 10

SM3 - 3 out of 10

But that is just one Sharks opinion. Like I have stated before I am not a huge follower of the comics so perhaps I am able to look past some things other people can't.

Welcome to New York. Where if a car is on fire, people will surround it like vultures trying to get a better look. :lol

What??? the only thing fake about all of that is that they did not all have their cell phones out filming it ;) :) :)

Someone must have pissed in that guys beer, jeez:slap

I know he seems extreme and he really really hates this movie.

BUT he had a lot of Really good points. Whether you like this movie or not it cannot be denied this was done as a 2 hour trailer for the next movies.

Quality aside this did feel like it was done to show some board members at Sony how they can make a Marvel like universe that goes from movie to movie to build an entire story. You cannot really deny that this was not really a creative project but a calculated attempt at trying to copy marvel.

and he is right about how convoluted the story is, he was right on the money :dunno

He is right. Why the hell would you focus on world building for spiderman all you need to do is introduce a character here and there reference somthing and thats it. Gradually get to the sinister six dont run to it.

I know he seems extreme and he really really hates this movie.

BUT he had a lot of Really good points. Whether you like this movie or not it cannot be denied this was done as a 2 hour trailer for the next movies.

Quality aside this did feel like it was done to show some board members at Sony how they can make a Marvel like universe that goes from movie to movie to build an entire story. You cannot really deny that this was not really a creative project but a calculated attempt at trying to copy marvel.

and he is right about how convoluted the story is, he was right on the money :dunno

I am going to have to watch his video. I just did not get the 2 hour trailer vibe... Sure it was setting up the next film but what is wrong with that. I thought it told a decent enough story. But I will watch what he has to say after I get out of work.

Someone must have pissed in that guys beer, jeez:slap

I am going to have to watch his video. I just did not get the 2 hour trailer vibe... Sure it was setting up the next film but what is wrong with that. I thought it told a decent enough story. But I will watch what he has to say after I get out of work.

warning, he REALLY hates the movie.

like not just saying "OMGZ i hate mondays LOL" type of hate but actual real hate. :lol

He even talks about quitting movie reviewing because of this movie hahahaha.

Okay, haven't read much of the posts so I don't know what the average consensus is around here, I'm not gonna be here much at all as far as I'm concerned, but Garfield was my choice for spider-man even before he was cast, ASM actually created good will for me, because I loved how he nailed everything and I never liked the three earlier films. So I went in optimistic, I had high hopes for ASM2...

...and I am beyond disappointed. The film is a seriously disturbing practical fusion of 500 days of summer and man of steel. It doesn't work at all. (And know I am a big man of steel fan and also highly liked 500 Days of Summer.) It freakin hurt my brain how Electro
Spoiler Spoiler:
On and on and on, nothing but tonal inconsistency of the worst degree.

The some parts I could really dig where the romance between Parker and Stacey is refreshingly profound for a film like this, and I felt the first long scene between Peter and Harry was great as well. The part where spidey saves the boy from bullies was fantastic. Garfield nails that stuff. Him swinging trhough the streets and people yellin g spider-man was awesome. But the whole 'man-of-steelification' of half this film including spider-man himself highly sucked imo when it's constantly opposed to the normal lighthearted Spider-man. You can debate and disagree about whether you like it for Superman, but at the very least that film made a solid choice from its own profound consistent vision. ASM2 is schizophrenic as hell. I felt like I constantly flipped between the 90s TAS and an almost horror-adapatational version of spider-man.

I'm not gonna say much more about it, I respect those who did like the film, I'm jealous of you I guess, as I've been jealous of all thiose who liked the Raimi trilogy, which I could never get into. But this was my most disappointing experience with a comic book film since x-men 3.
I don't hate this film, I recognise a lot of profoundness especially from the lead actors, but I'm just really disappointed in how terrible it is on a filmic level. I do however hate Sony Studios now, a lot. Because they ****ed this film up.

Le sigh, if there's any positiveness for this film here, I will let you get back at it. I'm really disappointed that I can't take part in it.

Ooooh after reading lots of these I gotta do this as well.

STM -> Batman '89 - Can't judge it, I'm too young (in my twenties), don't appreciate it.
BR - Had a cool vibe in terms of darkness but I loathe Burton and everything he makes. Except Beetlejuice.
BF - Loved Jim Carrey, kinda dig Kilmer's Bruce, rest is BS.
B&R - Legendary
Blade 1 - Pretty damn awesome.
Blade II - Okayish
Blade III - Meh.
X1 - Revolutionary, okay in hindsight.
X2 - Great
X3 - Wrong
S1 - Hated Macguire so couldn't buy into it.
S2 - Whatever, tentacles.
S3 - Couldn't care less.
V - Great.
Daredevil - The director's cut is quite descent, normal version is dumb.
F4 - ...Jessica Alba hooks up with a guy who can stretch any body part. That was the film right?
F42 - Silver Surfer was actually great imo, the rest SUCKED stretched fiery balls.
BB - Brilliant.
TDK - Jaw dropping.
TDKR - Great thematically, sloppy execution.
Watchmen - Brilliant.
IM1 - Loved the action, love the suit, hate the man, hate the story.
IM2 - Lame, at times even despicable.
IM3 - Pathetic story, with a few great jokes and cool action.
TFA - Surprisingly profound
TWS - Excellent but a little disappointing thematically.
Thor 1 - Boring to me.
Thor 2 - Couldn't sit through the entire thing.
GL - Giant Laugh. (Would like to say gay but don't want to offend anyone.)
Avengers - Brilliant event, mediocre film.
MOS - Best reboot since BB, with minor gripes. Never expected to like it this much.
ASM 1 - Okay. Love Garfield, mediocre film. Wrong move to retell origin.
ASM 2 - A fusion of two things I love that turned out terrible.
FC - Two brilliant lead performances watered down into a mediocre film.
DOFP - Could be brilliant, could be dreadful.
GOTG - Win-win: whether it's good or bad, it'll be hilarious.
Avengers 2 - Pretty stoked. Hope Cap ***** slaps Stark and truly leads the team.
Scott Pilgrim - Brilliant comedy.
Antman - Love Wright, hate insects.
BvsS - *keeps throwing money at the screen but nothing happens*
Cap 3 - Excited, especially if it has more
Spoiler Spoiler:

ASM 3 - ASM2 turned me off this whole franchise for now.
Sinister 6 - Lame studio BS.
F4 reboot - *runs away screaming in agony*

Unofficial but no less confirmed:
Dr. Strange - possibly ****ing stoked.

Ooooh after reading lots of these I gotta do this as well.

STM -> Batman '89 - Can't judge it, I'm too young (in my twenties), don't appreciate it.
BR - Had a cool vibe in terms of darkness but I loathe Burton and everything he makes. Except Beetlejuice.
BF - Loved Jim Carrey, kinda dig Kilmer's Bruce, rest is BS.
B&R - Legendary
Blade 1 - Pretty damn awesome.
Blade II - Okayish
Blade III - Meh.
X1 - Revolutionary, okay in hindsight.
X2 - Great
X3 - Wrong
S1 - Hated Macguire so couldn't buy into it.
S2 - Whatever, tentacles.
S3 - Couldn't care less.
BB - Brilliant.
TDK - Jaw dropping.
TDKR - Great thematically, sloppy execution.
IM1 - Loved the action, love the suit, hate the man, hate the story.
IM2 - Lame, at times even despicable.
IM3 - Pathetic story, with a few great jokes and cool action.
TFA - Surprisingly profound
TWS - Excellent but a little disappointing thematically.
Thor 1 - Boring to me.
Thor 2 - Couldn't sit through the entire thing.
Avengers - Brilliant event, mediocre film.
MOS - Best reboot since BB, with minor gripes. Never expected to like it this much.
ASM 1 - Okay. Love Garfield, mediocre film. Wrong move to retell origin.
ASM 2 - A fusion of two things I love that turned out terrible.
FC - Two brilliant lead performances watered down into a mediocre film.
DOFP - Could be brilliant, could be dreadful.
GOTG - Win-win: whether it's good or bad, it'll be hilarious.
Avengers 2 - Pretty stoked. Hope Cap ***** slaps Stark and truly leads the team.
Antman - Love Wright, hate insects.
BvsS - *keeps throwing money at the screen but nothing happens*
Cap 3 - Very excited if it has more
Spoiler Spoiler:

ASM 3 - ASM2 turned me off this whole franchise for now.
Sinister 6 - Lame studio BS.
F4 reboot - *runs away screaming in agony*

Unofficial but no less confirmed:
Dr. Strange - possibly ****ing stoked.

Your thoughts pretty much mirror my own, with a few exceptions. Blade 2 is awesome IMO. X1 get a lot wrong that I forgave at the time, but have come to loathe. But overall I can roll with most of your thoughts. :hi5:

Oh Darth I had to edit my post because I copied Krec9's but it didn't include Watchmen, V or Scott Pilgrim.

But cool man, I can definitely get down with your points actually! So one could say we agree entirely!

EDIT: gonna add a few more that weren't on the list.
EDIT 2: Do you still agree Darth?:p

Sometimes I find it very hard to understand opposite opinions. I find it hard not to be cynical about it and not perceive blatant 'against the grain' thinking for its own sake ''because it's cool''. But then its possible there have been cases where I've not liked something that everyone else did so....

Oh Darth I had to edit my post because I copied Krec9's but it didn't include Watchmen, V or Scott Pilgrim.

But cool man, I can definitely get down with your points actually! So one could say we agree entirely!

EDIT: gonna add a few more that weren't on the list.
EDIT 2: Do you still agree Darth?:p

I loved both Watchmen and V for Vendetta. I probably need to watch Scott Pilgrim again. My first time was with a girl I was dating at the time, and she was annoyingly making it known she was hating watching the movie. The experience was ruined for me, and i have never gone back to watch it again. The only other thing I have to disagree with you on, is I thought SM2 was a really good film and I liked ASM2. And I'm 31 so Batman 89 and Batman Returns are right in my wheelhouse. Returns is in my top 10 comic movies of all time. STM not so much. I respect it and enjoy it, but it just misses me.

Your thoughts pretty much mirror my own, with a few exceptions. Blade 2 is awesome IMO. X1 get a lot wrong that I forgave at the time, but have come to loathe. But overall I can roll with most of your thoughts. :hi5:

Agreed, Blade 2 was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Darth, yeah like, that's why I often say, I respect Donner and Burton Batman for the impact, and I always try to respect peole's emotional ties with something. So I get that. I like refraining from an opinion best honestly.

@A-dev did you state that specifically because of something I said, or was that just a general comment? Because I can assure you that I don't give a rats ass about whether something is popular or not – apart from being bothered by people who use it as a way to act as if that is the only opinion that's sane.

@A-dev did you state that specifically because of something I said, or was that just a general comment? Because I can assure you that I don't give a rats ass about whether something is popular or not – apart from being bothered by people who use it as a way to act as if that is the only opinion that's sane.

General although some of your ratings did remind me of what I'm seeing from others whatever is behind your thinking. As I admitted though, you can't know that its the same people every time 'going against the grain for the sake of it', and I too could be accused of it I'm sure and would be equally as insulted by the claim.

Big spoilers below.

After thinking over ASM2 for a couple days now I figured I'd take a moment to articulate some thoughts.

I. Love it. A lot.

This is a movie about mortality and making the most/best of whatever time you have and also what you do when you lose something you desperately want. How can some of you say it didn't have a theme? They played Gwen's speech twice. Norman's terminal illness, Harry's terminal illness, Gwen's impending doom, Electro's loss of the one "friend" he thought he had, Peter's loss of Gwen, and the city's loss of Spider-Man.

One on side we saw the bad guys using their own mortality as an excuse to commit evil actions and Gwen, in the prime of her life, sacrificing her health for the sake of good. Of course she didn't willingly fall to her death but she very deliberately put herself in harm's way to help the city knowing full well the risks. Norman, Harry, and Gwen are kind of the "mortality" trinity and Peter, Electro, and the little kid are kind of the "what do you do when you lose your buddy" trinity.

And we got to see extremes in each group.

Let me pause for a second to acknowledge, yeah, the movie had some editing and pacing issues. They are there. No question. But when I watched that film they weren't deal breakers they were just diversions in a truly amazing cinematic experience. Because throughout the whole movie there were the most incredible Spider-Man sequences, believable and charming relationship chemistry (I can understand if some people thought it was eye-rolling but I got a kick out of their "ground rules" discussion and Emma Stone's effortless portrayal of Gwen. "Well I'm sorry I didn't take you to the 'Bahamas' of hiding places." :lol)

And I just thought Electro was entertaining in a fun throwback kind of way. So for every tangent about Peter's dad or some rushed quip about "hope" or something there was a handful of jaw dropping web slinging or funny/charming moments in all acts of the film. Other people see a movie that was all over the place but I look at it as having a solid thread with some unnecessary tangents. To each his own and all.

But what really gets me is Peter picking himself up by his bootstraps at the end. THAT'S that clincher. Electro lost his perceived friendship with Spider-Man and went ballistic. The kid lost the hero that saved him from bullies but decided that it would just have to be HIS time to stand up to the ultimate bully in the middle of the street. Peter lost Gwen obviously, and, like the boy, decided to take her message to heart and live it. I could get choked up just thinking about him showing up at the Rhino standoff and taking a moment to crack a few jokes. Yeah, its five months later but just that he didn't just show up, but that he did so *enthusiastically* rather than with his head down may just instantly make him my #2 favorite cinematic superhero.

He isn't a hero because he apprehends bad guys anymore. He's a hero because when everything is lost he goes out and does what needs to be done because it's right and he cares about other people. He inspires others to stand up to evil but still has their back when they are faced with overwhelming opposition. What a refreshing and uplifting experience. Kudos to the filmmaking team for a job well done.

Last edited:
Back