The "All things TERMINATOR" thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arnie had a good run of about 12 years from Conan-True Lies when he was pretty much cinema gold. Every project he touched seemed to turn out great. As you said there was the odd turkey but every 2nd or 3rd movie was a hit. Maybe they were more movies or their time and Arnie was in the right place at the right time. To get the right roles.

Like everyone though, Arnie has a shelf life. I would rather see a young muscle bound Arnie kicking ass in Commando, then some old due mumbling the same old lines , that we have heard a million times before.

Part of Arnold's appeal as an action star, besides his cheesy one-liners, charm and charisma, was his massive body. Once his body started to go, there was only so much he could do with just charisma, and he no longer looked like a real life action figure. Luckily, as the Terminator he can now look old and still be a "superhero" because he's a machine. However, outside of that role, he doesn't have anything else anymore. Stallone saw the value of having a large physique, and he enhanced himself and arguably achieved more box office success in the 80's than Arnold, but his appeal was never just his body, it was his acting and underdog gimmick, even when playing action characters. That's why he can still go back to the Rocky/Rambo well and get away with it.

I wonder how long will The Rock be able to maintain his physique as he gets older.

I mean seriously it?s not even close even though Stallone likes to think he gave Arnold great competition lol

Box office wise, he did. From 76- 86, he achieved much greater box office success and cultural relevancy than Arnold. Even your favorite action movie, Die Hard, mentions Rambo, not Terminator. That's a fact. Even First Blood, which was the least successful financially, made 125 mill, to Terminator 78 mill, Predator 98 mill, or Commando 57 mill. It wasn't even close actually. That's why Arnie was so jealous of Stallone and tried to ruined his career. Then in the late 80 and early 90's Arnold was more successful, but by the mid to late 90's both had equal amount of success and failures. Arnold, went in to politics, Stallone to Television, then Stallone came back with Rocky and Rambo, and got Arnold back for the Expendables franchise. That's pretty much a summary of their careers.

Re: The "All things TERMINATOR" thread.

Ha ha yes I haven't preordered the Steelbook or cleared space on my shelf for DF figures or anything. ;)

But I might as well embrace the fact that that clip does give us at least a few days of fun speculation before the film itself utterly destroys any misplaced optimism, lol.

As for "why didn't the resistance know about other threats" well to me if you can accept Reese himself being wrong (who was literally there when the time displacement equipment was used) then I can accept 1995 Sarah being wrong (or whatever year she was supposedly narrating the intro to T2) as well. And Uncle Bob had "detailed files" on human behavior and the history of Skynet but his historical knowledge seemed to be restricted to the original untainted timeline. He had no knowledge of anyone replacing Dyson which technically would have had to have occurred for him to have still existed in the future in the first place.

Carl could have more info on Skynet's time-traveling tactics since he, unlike Uncle Bob, was actually sent by Skynet. If I remember correctly from the original T2 notes John and the Resistance awakened Uncle Bob and reprogrammed him before he could acquire any new knowledge from Skynet's database about such tactics. I assume Uncle Bob was just supposed to be a 2029 future war infiltrator and nothing else where Carl was on the "Time Travel Team" or whatever you want to call it. So Carl has the full plan.

But....but...Carl is a Dyson-timeline Terminator and so is Uncle Bob. And while it's fair enough that Uncle Bob could only be programmed with the most up to date 'current events' information that the Resistance knew of (on top of his default records provided by Skynet) it still begs the question of why didn't the Resistance know about the Carl Terminator? The fact remains they were able to find out about the 1984 one and the T-1000 and counter those but they didn't know about Carl.

I can speculate on that - maybe there was a second unconnected facility from which Carl and other Terminators were sent. Maybe records were not shared between facilities and so the resistance could see what use the A facility had been put to but not the B facility. But I can almost guarantee the film won't offer any of this.

In any case the time travel shenanigans are such head ****ery of the highest order they should not have complicated it any further than it already was and just done the damn future war movie everyone's been wanting for over 20 years and maintained the T1/T2 history exactly as it was.

Well, here?s the deal:
I liked it better than Genisys and 3 and even those turds have great moments. But those don?t help over the movies as a whole. Salvation, even though it was a cluttered mess, from those left over script pieces, which got filmed,was overall the best new thing, if you ask me.

Even if you didn?t like it (you as in the fandom, not you in person), you can?t ignore the fact that they gave us
- future war (not the blue super dystopic one, more grounded, but still)
- an amazing score (my favorite by Elfman, otherwise I think he?s just overrated from his Burton collabs)
- Marcus Wright (change to the canon was never an argument, we never learned how Reese learned that stuff)
- T-600's looked amazing
- diversity (in comparison to the other sequels)
That?s why I enjoy Salvation. I honestly do.

Now do I, or did I enjoy Dark Fate? So so
- the acting was good, except for some parts by Hamilton (I get the feeling she forgot how to act, been in a few years
- the action was very good (of course sometimes over-done, as anything nowadays)
- the cgi was very well done (Intro looked amazing, I genuinely gasped and no apparent flaws, like see through jaw, or anything)
- the story was overall the same (meh), but the background about the greed in today's society and someone?s gonna pick it up and do something new worked (logic problems were Genisys endo in direct T2 continuation though and that it's still called H-K and Terminator (new system, new names, me thinks.)
- music was horrendous (few steel-y bits, mexican guitars (can?t listen to that ****, salsa remix to my fav theme *yuck*))

Overall: yeah. And I?m gonna get it and give it a good rewatch, the better sequel to 2 is Salvation though.

It?s only the glasses. I think otherwise it looks fine.

It?s not the T2 theme he overused. He used it very inappropriately, when Carl was thinking about putting on the glasses (which was a super heroic and BS moment, honestly) He killed John and now he?s the super guarantee to beating the Rev-9? WTF?!
What he did use, was actually the bit of T2, just before he steps out the gas in T2 and SWAT blasts him. In the Varese soundtrack you can listen to this part. It?s "I'll be back" and starts after the T-1000 intro. They sped it up though and put a bit of their own twist to it.

I like the look of Marcus Wright - it made a good Hot Toys figure, the blue coat made him stand out on the shelf and it was a good likeness. But I still sold it because I object to the premise of the character. I hated that Salvation brought in this new infiltrator. Why were Skynet bothering with T-600s and T-800s if they had a Terminator that not only looked human but actually believed it was human and was as such a sleeper Terminator? Furthermore it was stupid that they gave it the autonomy it had that it could simply decide to turn against Skynet. The character just made no sense. And I found it kinda cheap that the moviemakers just couldn't resist having a goodie Terminator yet again. So much for man VS machine and the desperation that should entail.

In general, film scores since like 2000 on have often felt like filler noise and don?t necessarily stand out, it?s rare for me to come by a score I can really enjoy for just music. For example, as overall films I love much of the MCU but most of the music doesn?t do much for me as just music outside of the film. Since T3, the scores have felt largely just generic, though I give Elfman some credit for giving Salvation some life. The only part of T3 that stood out was the orchestral at the end when the bombs launch.

Marco Beltrami of the Scream movies did T3 if I'm right. The main theme just didn't sound good with an orchestra and the rest was meh. Crap song choices aswell.

The Salvation and Genisys scores have bits here and there that I like but overall I wouldn't tend to listen to them.

Great vid.
IMO Arnie's last really good movie was True Lies. which is 25 years old. :thud:
Pretty much everything else has been pretty meh.

I actually haven't seen many of his post-Governor movies yet, just The Expendables and the Terminators. But yeah, obviously he's well past his peak.

The Running Man is another favourite not mentioned in the video. ''It's showtime''....''I don't do requests'' etc.

Last edited:
If we are talking Stallone comedies we must mention Oscar, it's actually pretty good. At least with nostalgia goggles on, lots of good actors in bit parts. Curiously not that many directors (since it's a John Landis movie) if I remember correctly.

Even your favorite action movie, Die Hard, mentions Rambo, not Terminator.

What? "-..and they have enough explosives to orbit Arnold Schwarzenegger" or something very close to that.

If we are talking Stallone comedies we must mention Oscar, it's actually pretty good. At least with nostalgia goggles on, lots of good actors in bit parts. Curiosly not that many directors (since it's a John Landis movie) if I remember correctly.

What? "-..and they have enough explosives to orbit Arnold Schwarzenegger" or something very close to that.

I don't remember that line. Are you sure that's not from the sequel? Still, they didn't mention one of his characters tho.

I don't remember that line. Are you sure that's not from the sequel? Still, they didn't mention one of his characters tho.

It's from the original. And the reason McClane mentions Arnold by name and not one of his characters is because he was such a big action star (compared to Stallone) that his name transcended his characters. Stallone had to be mentioned in association with Rambo. Arnold was simply Arnold.

Clown brought up box office competition and that?s fair.

I believe Arnold still has the highest grossing movie between the 2 but their overall box office numbers I think are pretty much equal.

Ok fine I?ll concede that Stallone equaled Arnold in a box office competition (all those damn Rocky sequels lol) BUT I was more referring to creating endearing memorable characters all with unique distinct personalities.

Again Rocky and Rambo love them but I?m sorry that?s all he?s known for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: The "All things TERMINATOR" thread.

Clown brought up box office competition and that?s fair.

I believe Arnold still has the highest grossing movie between the 2 but their overall box office numbers I think are pretty much equal.

Ok fine I?ll concede that Stallone equaled Arnold in a box office competition (all those damn Rocky sequels lol) BUT I was more referring to creating endearing memorable characters all with unique distinct personalities.

Again Rocky and Rambo love them but I?m sorry that?s all he?s known for.

I agree that Arnold found successes in multiple genres and that his movies, particularly, Terminator 1/2, Predator, Total Recall aged better than all of Stallone's films.

I agree that Arnold found successes in multiple genres and that his movies, particularly, Terminator 1/2, Predator, Total Recall aged better than all of Stallone's films.

We?ll hold on a second there Rocky 1 and First Blood are still freaking magnificent and that Rocky theme was as big as John Williams scores.

Umm and Clubber Lang is still a scary dude lol

I ask that Total Recall be stricken from the record.

Over ruled!

Khev beat me to it lol

Outside of the MCU the Rocky series might have the most amount of quality (when combining all the running times of each film, including Creed 1 and 2) of any franchise. Eight films with really just Rocky V as the one truly weak entry.

Outside of the MCU the Rocky series might have the most amount of quality (when combining all the running times of each film, including Creed 1 and 2) of any franchise. Eight films with really just Rocky V as the one truly weak entry.

I want to agree but Rocky 2-3-4 are also rough at spots lol

The only good Rocky is 1... with honorable mention for 3 as an entertaining cartoon.

The rest... :lol

Rocky 3 is the Rambo 2 of Stallone's two characters.

I really can?t argue with this but I find them entertaining nonetheless.

Back