Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was ROTJ that started the trend of just repeating the same beats as the first two films and then George wanted the PT to "rhyme" and so the repetition continued. TFA? Well that one goes without saying. ;)

Yeah, even Han Solo and Leia had similar beats in the OT. In ANH, Han assists Luke in a rescue mission to get Leia, but in ROTJ, it was Leia helping Luke to rescue Han. Then there was the I love you/ I know scene.

Of course TLJ has far better acting and visuals. But besides the good acting and visuals I think TLJ was at least as bad or inferior to AOTC in structure and plot. Which would have gone largely ignored by angry fans if Kennedy/Johnson hadn't taken it a step further and besmirched beloved characters and broke long standing OT "rules". Folks who have been fans of a franchise for four freaking decades are going to react to that sort of thing....:dunno
So hard to divorce those things you mention. You could be right, but with Attack of the Clones, the cheesy jokes, the horrible, overdone CG, the cringe-worthy dialogue, the terrible, unlikable characters. . .I'll take Last Jedi type films any day over anything like the prequels. Warts and all.

That is one area where the prequels win I suppose.

giphy.gif

Adolfo’s point is moot.

True but I think another reason why movies like Pirates frequently get generally negative critical response is because, unlike Marvel and Star Wars, there aren't huge toylines that every parent will be buying their kids for Christmas and thus Disney doesn't see it fit to pay off critics for movies without huge toylines.

That's another good thing about Pirates (even the fourth one) - you don't feel like you're watching a glorified toy ad. :lol

True but I think another reason why movies like Pirates frequently get generally negative critical response is because, unlike Marvel and Star Wars, there aren't huge toylines that every parent will be buying their kids for Christmas and thus Disney doesn't see it fit to pay off critics for movies without huge toylines.

That's another good thing about Pirates (even the fourth one) - you don't feel like you're watching a glorified toy ad. :lol

agreed...its on its own merits...but TLJ aint about toys, goes way beyond

with Attack of the Clones, the cheesy jokes, the horrible, overdone CG, the cringe-worthy dialogue, the terrible, unlikable characters. . .

It's true, all of it.

But another thing that bothers me is how foreign TFA and TLJ are to each other in comparison. A trilogy should be largely cohesive but instead TLJ seems downright hostile towards the plot of TFA. I can't believe people just say...."meh it's Rian Johnson's take" and accept that. Shouldn't the studio make sure there is continuity from film to film? I think so...

It's true, all of it.

But another thing that bothers me is how foreign TFA and TLJ are to each other in comparison. A trilogy should be largely cohesive but instead TLJ seems downright hostile towards the plot of TFA. I can't believe people just say...."meh it's Rian Johnson's take" and accept that. Shouldn't the studio make sure there is continuity from film to film? I think so...

So true......TFA=StarKiller...TLJ=Man hating titties

Luke in self-imposed exile: George's idea. Interesting.

From the Art of the Last Jedi book:

"...we learn that one of the first meetings to visualize The Force Awakens happened on January 16, 2013 at Skywalker Ranch with George Lucas himself. Among the pieces presented at the meeting were portraits of an older Luke Skywalker training a new disciple named Kira (later renamed Rey). The idea was that, 30 years after the fall of the Empire, Luke had gone to a dark place and secluded himself in a Jedi temple on a new planet. The paintings show Luke meditating, reassessing his whole life."

In TLJ everything fit with SW/ESB but was still new and it was really nice to be able to have that feeling when watching a SW flick again.

For me it was like some other movie - a very good one, mind - that just happened to be set in the SW universe. But I've only seen it once so far, so will have to find out if the feeling persists with repeat viewings.

Luke in self-imposed exile: George's idea. Interesting.

He might not be the best director, but he's quite the ideas (and designs) man.

Lukes exile is ok...Yoda etc...its the sheet that was done afterward that counts and hurts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back