Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4-1.gif

God, the PT's bad. Just takes one gif like that to bring it all back.

But still...

ROTS is the only one of the PT I liked and would actually put above all of the Disney Wars. At least it felt like it had a purpose despite its flaws. TFA, RO, and TLJ were all just about as worthless, boring, generic, flat, and uninspired as movies come with the exception of Kylo Ren.

Not sure if there is a Black Panther movie thread but if there is I am going to check it out to see if most of the folks in this one are angrily accusing Disney SJWs of pushing diversity by making that movie when there are "far better" characters out there...Black Bolt, Black Knight, Black Widow(actually forget Black Widow she's a female character) who do not have movies yet...maybe they are pandering to the coveted African box office...?

591379d31e00002800622605.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jessica Chastain reacting to being told her movie Miss Sloane is about to land on the list of worst opening weekends of the past 35 years.:lol

Not sure if there is a Black Panther movie thread but if there is I am going to check it out to see if most of the folks in this one are angrily accusing Disney SJWs of pushing diversity by making that movie when there are "far better" characters out there...Black Bolt, Black Knight, Black Widow(actually forget Black Widow she's a female character) who do not have movies yet...maybe they are pandering to the coveted African box office...?

Uh-oh, it's SJW sarcasm. :lol

The best way I can describe why I hate The Last Jedi so much, is to compare it to the kind of looting that takes place during war. It's common practice for conquering nations to loot those they've dominated, robbing their museums and stealing their cultural artifacts. This accomplishes more than just stealing a nation's wealth; it erodes their culture.

This is a wonderful analogy and I can't agree with it more.

On a much smaller scale, I am reminded of Transformers the Movie from 1986. People who were kids in the 80s still talk about how shocking, unexpected, and indeed, downright traumatic it was to witness all of our favorite characters murdered in the first 20 minutes of the movie. I was eight years old when I saw it in the theater with my two brothers....I remember quaking with fear. I'd never seen anything so graphic and brutal in a kid's cartoon.

I actually loved it because it was so violent and dared to be more dangerous than all the other "safe" cartoons I'd ever seen. But a lot of people's interest in Transformers died right alongside Optimus Prime.

Hasbro and the movie's writers immediately realized they'd made a huge mistake. They thought they could just sweep the characters from the 84-85 line under the rug and kids would happily lap up the new 1986 line. All the new, neon colored, futuristic characters created for the movie. But they underestimated just how attached kids were to the toys and characters they'd been watching on daily cartoons after school.

Hasbro didn't do it intentionally. They thought the characters were just dumb toys. They were only interested in selling the new toys. The Movie was a 90 minute advertisement for the 1986 line, and nothing else. But the backlash was immediate. Transformers popularity fell off and within a year, the cartoon was done in the States. They realized their mistake and brought back Optimus Prime but it was too late. The one thing most kids remember about the Transformers from the 80s was that Optimus died in the movie.

We were so attached to characters after only two years.

We've been attached to Luke, Han, and Leia for four DECADES.

Disney thought the same way as those Hasbro execs..."Kill off the old characters right away and replace them with our new line. They'll love what we tell them to love...they're morons."

And The Force Awakens proved them right. No wonder they felt emboldened to double down on the sequel.

This is a wonderful analogy and I can't agree with it more.

On a much smaller scale, I am reminded of Transformers the Movie from 1986. People who were kids in the 80s still talk about how shocking, unexpected, and indeed, downright traumatic it was to witness all of our favorite characters murdered in the first 20 minutes of the movie. I was eight years old when I saw it in the theater with my two brothers....I remember quaking with fear. I'd never seen anything so graphic and brutal in a kid's cartoon.

I actually loved it because it was so violent and dared to be more dangerous than all the other "safe" cartoons I'd ever seen. But a lot of people's interest in Transformers died right alongside Optimus Prime.

Hasbro and the movie's writers immediately realized they'd made a huge mistake. They thought they could just sweep the characters from the 84-85 line under the rug and kids would happily lap up the new 1986 line. All the new, neon colored, futuristic characters created for the movie. But they underestimated just how attached kids were to the toys and characters they'd been watching on daily cartoons after school.

Hasbro didn't do it intentionally. They thought the characters were just dumb toys. They were only interested in selling the new toys. The Movie was a 90 minute advertisement for the 1986 line, and nothing else. But the backlash was immediate. Transformers popularity fell off and within a year, the cartoon was done in the States. They realized their mistake and brought back Optimus Prime but it was too late. The one thing most kids remember about the Transformers from the 80s was that Optimus died in the movie.

We were so attached to characters after only two years.

We've been attached to Luke, Han, and Leia for four DECADES.

Disney thought the same way as those Hasbro execs..."Kill off the old characters right away and replace them with our new line. They'll love what we tell them to love...they're morons."

And The Force Awakens proved them right. No wonder they felt emboldened to double down on the sequel.

Wonder how that'll effect Ep9 if at all.

The best way I can describe why I hate The Last Jedi so much, is to compare it to the kind of looting that takes place during war. It's common practice for conquering nations to loot those they've dominated, robbing their museums and stealing their cultural artifacts. This accomplishes more than just stealing a nation's wealth; it erodes their culture.

The Last Jedi was similar, in that Star Wars has always been a part of male culture. Can we all agree on that? Star Wars was originally created for, and marketed to male children specifically. It was a story about coming of age, where a young man leaves the comfort and safety of his home and embraces the danger and chaos of going out into the world, and discovering who he will become. It's as much about violence, self-sufficiency and anti-authoritarianism as it is a moral tale about love and hate. I'm not saying that this description means that the original Star Wars trilogy was "good" or "bad" because of this. That's a separate discussion. But the original trilogy was a very important cultural artifact for many men who are now between the ages of 35 and 50, or so. While some women were interested in Star Wars, it was overwhelmingly catering to men. The films had a profound impact.

I also think it's fair to say that The Last Jedi was critical of male behavior, specifically violence, self-sufficiency and anti-authoritarianism. Each of these traits were portrayed as vices, and all of these "vices" were adopted by male characters. All of the male characters. Each male character was either too violent, too self-sufficient or too anti-authoritarian. Again, we can have a further conversation as to whether or not one should take issue with these traits, but let's leave that as a separate conversation, for now.

My point is, that the original Star Wars trilogy was marketed to young boys, as a celebration of what at the time were considered important facets of manhood. The new Star Wars trilogy, with an idealistic subtext, seems to be aiming criticism at that same demographic, turning the narrative on its head so that the implicit values of the original trilogy are now being portrayed in a negative light. Would you guys agree with that?

In other words, regardless as to whether we agree or disagree with the criticism, Rian Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy and her writing team usurped a narrative aimed at young boys, and used it as a vehicle to condemn culturally "male" traits that they deem to be problematic. We can agree or disagree as to whether or not the critique is correct, but regardless as to where you are on the ideological spectrum, do you guys agree with that? Did the original trilogy glorify violence, self-sufficiency and anti-authoritarianism as being virtuous? Did the new trilogy portray violence, self-sufficiency and anti-authoritarianism as being problematic, and derived from male behavior

You know that western society has hit rock bottom when their culture is defined by something as puerile as Star Wars. :lol

Don't be mean. Let the girls play in the sandpit too.

23jac8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back